Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X42 (D7800) freezing / locking up daily since purchase

Nighthawk X42 (D7800) freezing / locking up daily since purchase

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a Nighthawk D7800 modem/router, as my ISP provided ZTE would occasionally (weekly) have dropouts and need a reboot.

Unfortunately this purchase appears to have been a step backwards, as my new modem/router is locking up daily.  I'm on my third day since purchase, and I've just had to power cycle it for the third time.

Setup: It's pretty much "out of the box", i allowed it to auto-config with Exetel (Australian ISP, and connected using FTTN), punched in my user ID and password, and away it went.  I've got 2.4ghz WiFi and 5.0ghz WiFi enabled with multiple devices connecting to each (phones, TVs, etc.), and only a solar panel monitoring device connected via ethernet (I had my PC connected via ethernet for a while as well, but it was a really spotty connection.  I think it was trying to run gigabit down a cat5 cable, so i'm running the PC on wifi until i can get a Cat 6 cable). No USB devices connected, no guest WiFi, none of the remote connectivity functions turned on.

Symptoms: All the lights on the device stay on in the same state they were on in when it was functioning, but the WiFi network ceases functioning and stops being detectable.  If my PC was connected via Ethernet, it's showing "media disconnected" in the IPConfig.  Power cycling the router restores it to functionality (once it's booted up).  I'm at three reboots in three days.  Helpfully ,the router's log wipes itself when it reboots (not sure who's bright idea that was), and i can't really connect to it after it's crashed, so I can't access any diagnostics.

Question: I know I haven't tried a factory reset, but given I have just set this thing up from new out of the box, I'm wondering if there's maybe a firmware downgrade I need to do, or if there's a known setting that causes lockups?

If I'm unable to resolve the daily lockup thing or a Cat 6 cable doesn't fix my LAN connections, I'm going to have to return this device and ask for another brand from the retailer - I'm working from home and the express purpose of this device was for a good, high-performing, stable network...

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
sajeelleo
Aspirant

I am having exactly the same issue. But I am using this router since 4 years. And since 2 months I have to power cycle it in order to get Internet.
I also checked for the firmware update but not available.
Netgear it is very urgent matter and need to be resolved urgently.
Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 2 of 4

Unfortunately, I fixed the issue by returning my nighthawk to the shop, and replacing it with an Asus. Best of luck with your issue, I never did get any constructive advice from anyone regarding this issues and never solved it.
Message 3 of 4
sajeelleo
Aspirant

I am also getting rid off Netgear router and moving to Asus or tplink. After using Netgear since 15 years, what a tragic end. Terribly bad customer service from Netgear.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7