Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X4S AC2600 D7800 - help connecting to Telstra NBN

kellygd
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S AC2600 D7800 - help connecting to Telstra NBN

Non-techie - laymans terms please!!

Telstra NBN Support are not supportive!  Original modem/router not performing so purchased above.

I have optic cable to house - the ethernet cable running from NBN box I have plugged into red port labeled 'internet'.

I have run the NETGEAR genie several times, following instructions.  It does not recognise my internet.  I've tried power cycling, checked all connections, I've tried using the MAC Address on my old modem with no success.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, my two teenaged sons are desperate for a working WiFi.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
kellygd
Aspirant

The D7800 is suitable for FTTH both Telstra & NETGEAR Support have confirmed this. Have spent many hours with both trying to work - it appears my recent purchase is faulty as it is not recognising the Ethernet connection. On my way for an exchange. Thanks for your input.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies

@kellygd wrote:

Telstra NBN Support are not supportive!  Original modem/router not performing so purchased above.

Not a good move. You bought a DSL modem/router. The modem bit is no use with fibre to the house.

You really need a router with none of the modem in there to confuse the picture.

Which NBN service is this?

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Note that fibre to the house could describe several of those listed.

Netgear confuses things by claiming that DSL modem/routers are compatible, when it really means that the router bit works. You have to bypass the modem.

You seem to have done that, but maybe you need to sort out how yo get the D7800 to connect the router bit to the ISP.

If possible, I'd return the D7800 and get something more suitable.

Message 2 of 4
kellygd
Aspirant

The D7800 is suitable for FTTH both Telstra & NETGEAR Support have confirmed this. Have spent many hours with both trying to work - it appears my recent purchase is faulty as it is not recognising the Ethernet connection. On my way for an exchange. Thanks for your input.
Message 3 of 4

Yes, it will work, but , as explained, it is a bad choice of hardware. You are paying for a modem bit that is not compatible with an FTTH service. So you have to bypass it. You also have to know what you are doing when it comes to setting it up.

Past comments on Telstra suggests that it is unlikely to understand how to configure a modem/router in router only mode. So I would not rely on what it says.

If you are going got take this thing back for an exchange, you would do well to buy a router, not a modem/router. The R7800 is a highly rated router, perhaps the best that Netgear now has on offer.

There is a small cost difference between the two in the UK. The D7800 costs £194.99, while the R7800 is £163.49.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7