Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X4S D7800 - How to configure for iiNet Ultrabroadband FTTB/ TPG FTTB (Australia)

abels77
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S D7800 - How to configure for iiNet Ultrabroadband FTTB/ TPG FTTB (Australia)

Tried to configure my Nighthawk X4S D7800 to use it with iiNet Ultrabroadband FTTB (fibre to the basement). This is the same network as TPG FTTB offering. I have used the settings provided by iiNet:

ISP: Other (don't use iiNet)

DSL standard: VDSL2

Connection type: PPPoE

VLAN: On

VLAN Id: 2

But no luck. The Internet connection LED is solid amber.

I have tried using the Setup Wizard but no luck either. The Archer VR1600v modem-router provided by iiNet does work but its wifi radio isn't good.

Has anyone here succesfully configured the D7800 for use with iiNet Ultrabroadband or TPG FTTB?

Thanks for your assistance

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Re: Nighthawk X4S D7800 - How to configure for iiNet Ultrabroadband FTTB/ TPG FTTB (Australia)

@abels77 wrote:

Tried to configure my Nighthawk X4S D7800 to use it with iiNet Ultrabroadband FTTB (fibre to the basement).

FTTB can mean many things. It is not normally DSL, which is what the D7800 works on. That normally lands down an ordinary copper telephone line.

Is this, by any chance the famous NBN? Unfortunately, the labels they throw around are not always helpful.

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

@abels77 wrote:

The Archer VR1600v modem-router provided by iiNet does work but its wifi radio isn't good.

Looks like a DSL modem/router.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – D7800 iiNet

This might be a better source of ISP specific information in Oz:

Whirlpool Forums

Message 2 of 7
abels77
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk X4S D7800 - How to configure for iiNet Ultrabroadband FTTB/ TPG FTTB (Australia)

Thanks. It is a VDSL2 connection. I was hoping there was a fellow Australian who uses the same ISP and service who has successfully make it work. In the meantime I will see if I can get to use my current modem in bridge mode. Alternatively, I will get a  TP-Link VR2800 which is compatible.

Cheers

Message 3 of 7

@abels77 wrote:

I was hoping there was a fellow Australian who uses the same ISP and service who has successfully make it work.

Good call.

That's why I suggested Whirlpool.

Message 4 of 7
Neavo
Aspirant

Glad I found you Michael Kenward - I was researching a problem I was having with a different unit and I was around the netgear community forums looking for input. 

I have to say you seem to be one of the most knowledgeable people regarding these devices I have seen in the forums. 

I tried to reply to some of your older input but I was unable too, but I didnt have to look to far to find you around.

Now that said - I do have to say that it appears to me that you are a linux user - and what I mean by that is youre 
one of the most toxic people I have ever seen. You have information that you could help people solve their problem with, 
but before you get around to that you have to belittle them before any progress is made.

Youve been called out for this before and youve ignored it thereby commiting the same negligence of pertinent information
that you belittle others for.

It is clear youre intelligent, but it is also clear that you do so much damage that your information does not only come at a net negative, it
is better if you do not participate in these forums at all. I actually created an account just so that one more person can give you some good life advice and pointers. 

Now I am sure you have some reply to this and I will tell you I do not care - I dont care if youre disabled, agorophobic, autistic or what have you - the behavior that you exhibit is reprehensible and it might be better for you and the rest of humanity if you make some sort of girlfriend-bot that runs on linux so that you can spend your time not damaging other people who are doing their due diligence to solve their own problems. 

And it does seem that people solve their problems in these forums - but while youre present its not often that youre any help. 

I sincerely hope that in your next interaction with whichever poor soul has the misfortune of running into you - that you choose to do less damage then you usually do. May you find meaning in life - and that it doesnt come at a cost to others. Thanks for listening.

Message 5 of 7
shawty950
Aspirant

Hi I just went through this process with the Nighthawk X4S D7800.

FTTN - vdsl

Even though I used the Iinet modem config tool which stated (and found other place such as Whirlpool etc) :-

ISP: Other (don't use iiNet)

DSL standard: VDSL2

Connection type: PPPoE

VLAN: On

VLAN Id: 2

I kept getting the solid orange light. So I called the Iinet support line and we went thorugh a bunch of things and found out that I should not be using PPPoE...my area, apparently , Redland Bay on the southside of Brisbane, apparently doesn't use PPPoE.

So in the section that says "Does your Internet connection require a login?" leave it as "No".

Tried turning on the "Enable VLAN /Bridge Group" in "VLAN / Bridge Settings" in Advanced Setup" and still no go.

So here's where it goes out the window, ole mate says lets do a factory reset and start again...we do this, it boots up and we get out of the Wizard setup on the gui so that we can do the manual/advanced setup...while we were faffing about waiting for the modem to finish it's bootup sequence, the Internet lights goes solid white and we have a valid connection and can browse.

So, for me...it is working using the modems default config...which is:-  *** Where it differs from whats been the norm/specified

Country - Australia

***   Provider - Telstra

Tx Mode - VDSL(PTM)

DSL Mode - VDSL2

Enable this Interface - Tick/Y

Multiplexing - "as per default" (LLC-BASED, 8, 35)

***   Use VLANID - "Unticked"...ie Dont use VLANID at all

***   Does your Internet connection require a login? - "No"  (ie. No PPPoE )

Everything else gets left default

Internet IP Address - Get Dynamically

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address - Get Automaically

Router MAC Address - Use Default Address

To finish, IInet ole mate says (Besides being surprised it worked), if I have any problems that I should try enabling VLANID, which I did as a test, and got solid orange...so turned that off and all good.

Next thing to test, is changing the Service Provider setting to other or IInet...but as I am WFH and been out for the last 3 days after a blown d-link modem from a lightning strike...and I am now connected it's low priority for now.

I hope the above may help some one.

Message 6 of 7

@shawty950 wrote:

To finish, IInet ole mate says (Besides being surprised it worked), if I have any problems that I should try enabling VLANID, which I did as a test, and got solid orange...so turned that off and all good.

Next thing to test, is changing the Service Provider setting to other or IInet...but as I am WFH and been out for the last 3 days after a blown d-link modem from a lightning strike...and I am now connected it's low priority for now.

I hope the above may help some one.

You deserve some sort of medal for sorting that out, and another one for passing on the details.

It just goes to show how complicated NBN can be, and that there is no one-size-fits-all configuration.

It is a pity that some ISPs find it hard to explain how their systems work.

By the way, if you haven't done so already, save your current configuration. Maybe also get some screen grabs of the key settings for future reference.

Let's hope that it helps @abels77 if they still need it.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7