Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk X4S - Readyshare Issues

MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

Nighthawk X4S - Readyshare Issues

Hey everyone,

I seem to be having an issue with Readyshare and my D7800 Nighthawk X4S router. The portable HDD that is hooked up to it is NTFS but it seems that everytime I copy over stuff to it, the files get corrupted. I like to stream movies from Readyshare using my Android TV.

Any help would be much apprecaited.

Thanks

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 12

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

The portable HDD that is hooked up to it is NTFS but it seems that everytime I copy over stuff to it, the files get corrupted.

What is this HDD? I assume that it is a USB device. ReadySHARE is picky about the USB stuff it accepts.

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

I seem to be having an issue with Readyshare and my D7800 Nighthawk X4S router.

It is "modem/router", not that it makes much difference in this case.

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

Message 2 of 12
MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

The portable HDD is a 4TB Seagate Backup Plus, product number 2R2APB-500.

Yes, modem/router to be more specific. Firmware is currently V1.0.1.56, newest release is V1.0.1.58

Message 3 of 12

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

That you got it to work at all suggests that it isn't wildly incompatible, but it does look to be beyond the bog standard drive. Readyshare does not like separate partitions, but it is hard to tell what else that thing comes with.

Do you see similar behaviour with other USB devices?

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

Yes, modem/router to be more specific. Firmware is currently V1.0.1.56, newest release is V1.0.1.58

Have you tried the latest version?

Unfortunately, the link to the release notes is bust and the embedded version tells us not much. But some recent firmware for other devices claims to fix corruption in Readyshare.

Message 4 of 12
MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

That you got it to work at all suggests that it isn't wildly incompatible, but it does look to be beyond the bog standard drive. Readyshare does not like separate partitions, but it is hard to tell what else that thing comes with.

Do you see similar behaviour with other USB devices?

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

Have you tried the latest version?

Unfortunately, the link to the release notes is bust and the embedded version tells us not much. But some recent firmware for other devices claims to fix corruption in Readyshare.

I've updated it from firmware V1.0.1.56 to V1.0.1.58.

If it keeps happening with the 2R2APB-500 I should try one of my older portable HDDs or USB sticks and see how they fair.

Message 5 of 12
MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

It seems that my portable HDD I've purchased just isn't compatible. Oh well, I can sell it and buy one from the list of compatible USBs/HDDs for the D7800 models.

Message 6 of 12

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

It seems that my portable HDD I've purchased just isn't compatible. Oh well, I can sell it and buy one from the list of compatible USBs/HDDs for the D7800 models.

That would be surprising, 4TB isn't that massive and Seagate is pretty standard. I admit though that I mostly use Samsung drives for small (2.5 inch) USB drives. This is on the R7800.

I chip in only to warn that the list of compatible drives is usually out of date and thin on choices. Netgear doesn't have the resources, or can't be bothered, to test every drive out there.

Message 7 of 12
MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

That would be surprising, 4TB isn't that massive and Seagate is pretty standard. I admit though that I mostly use Samsung drives for small (2.5 inch) USB drives. This is on the R7800.

I chip in only to warn that the list of compatible drives is usually out of date and thin on choices. Netgear doesn't have the resources, or can't be bothered, to test every drive out there.

I formatted it and ran check chkdsk also. When I try to play a movie from the portable HDD on my Andoid Media Player, it just won't play.

Message 8 of 12
MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

I formatted it and ran check chkdsk also. When I try to play a movie from the portable HDD on my Andoid Media Player, it just won't play.

I gave it another shot, and it's till doing the same thing. I can get access to it via my Android Media Plaer but it just won't play any files now.

Should I just take a gamble and buy a Western Digital portable HDD to see how that goes?

Message 9 of 12

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

I gave it another shot, and it's till doing the same thing. I can get access to it via my Android Media Plaer but it just won't play any files now.

Should I just take a gamble and buy a Western Digital portable HDD to see how that goes?

Your call really. But if the issue is not playing files rather than accessing them I wouldn't know if it is Readyshare that is the problem or the streaming.

I use USB for storage. Access for playing is through a Firestick.

Message 10 of 12
MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

@MrHeatSeeker wrote:

Your call really. But if the issue is not playing files rather than accessing them I wouldn't know if it is Readyshare that is the problem or the streaming.

I use USB for storage. Access for playing is through a Firestick.

Well, it's interesting that it was working fine before then just started corrupting my files and after some troubleshooting won't even play them.

I was doing the exact same thing when it was working fine. Playing all my movies off the HDD on ReadySHARE with VLC player on my Xiaomi Mi Box S Android TV.

Message 11 of 12
MrHeatSeeker
Aspirant

Bought a 4TB Western Digital Elements WDBU6Y0040BBK-WESN and now I'm having issues with that, jfc.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7