Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x8 ac5300 DSL light amber

Antej21
Follower

Nighthawk x8 ac5300 DSL light amber

Hello I just got this modem/router but my DSL light is amber I contacted my ISP and they said they have no idea go to google, has anyone delt with this? I have an active service adsl2 it was ok on my other modem but then I plug into new modem it's amber, the phone line has no splitter and it's connected from wall to modem on the internet port and I have done a restart before but no luck!
Thanks
Message 1 of 14
William10a
Master

Re: Nighthawk x8 ac5300 DSL light amber

normally dsl has a splitter in the phone line to allow the two different frequency bands over a single phone line.

Message 2 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Have no practical experience with what I suspect your router model, so let's see.

This is what Netgear does write in the D8500 User Manual in Chapter 17, p. 253, Troubleshooting ...

"DSL/Internet LED Is Solid Amber
For a DSL connection, if the DSL/Internet LED is solid amber and does not turn solid white, disconnect all telephones on the line. If this solves the problem, reconnect the telephones one at a time, being sure to use a microfilter on each telephone. If the microfilters are connected correctly, you can connect all your telephones. If disconnecting telephones does not result in a solid white DSL/Internet LED, a problem with your wiring might exist. If the telephone company tested the DSL signal at your network interface device (NID), then wiring in your house might be of poor quality."

Poor customers ... hard to figure out what might be wrong 8-/

Something more informative is on Hardware Overview of the Modem Router, p.11, Table 1. LED descriptions

"DSL/Internet
Solid amber. The modem router is not connected to a DSL service, did not establish a DSL connection, or did not establish an Internet connection."

Does your xDSL ISP (which one?) support 3rd party DSL modem/router at all? ADSL, ADSL2, VDSL, VDSL2, ...? Is a PPPoA/PPPoE session with an authentication required?

Was your router ever configured as shown starting from p.22 in the User Manual ... ? Note: Not all ISP might be covered by the database used for the automatic config - and a manual set-up might be required.

Most xDSL ISP require a login, very few allow transparent access. Is the xDSL username and password (as provided with your xDSL information) configured to establish the PPPoA (if available) or PPPoE connection configured? If this is required but not properly done, the DSL LED will remain amber, the Internet connection can't be established.

Afraid, compared to the European and some other Taiwanese DSL CPE makers, the Netgear DSL troubleshooting and monitoring options are very poor - not aware on one could check the status of the pure xDSL connection from the Genie UI. This would be more than just nice to have.

Regards

-Kurt

PS. The splitter is mainly to isolate the phones from potentially audible xDSL noise generated by the high frequencies used for the  DSL technology - not to protect the router from any phone devices - I would not worry at all.

Message 3 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

The Netgear Database is wrong it's years out of date best to configure it manually even better get your money back Netgear products have taken a serious nosedive in quality The D8500 is unstable and buggy and should be recalled or the firmware fixed 

It's UI is horrible slow requiring a reboot on the most minor changes 

Message 4 of 14

@Antej21 wrote:
the phone line has no splitter and it's connected from wall to modem on the internet port and I have done a restart before but no luck!

If this is a genuine DSL line that comes in over your phone line, then you need a DSL splitter to separate the phone and modem lines.

You also plug the cable from the modem bit of the phone line into the modem socket (VDSL Port) on the modem, not the Internet socket. (You plug the output from a modem into that if you have one.)

This is all explained in the Quick Start guide, which is here:

>>> R8500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

If the modem does not automatically set up your Internet connection, then you can do this manually. The above link also takes you to the manual for your hardware. Start on page 33.

Message 5 of 14

@coolness787 wrote:

It's UI is horrible slow requiring a reboot on the most minor changes 

What requires a reboot? Your UI or the modem?

You don't need to reboot a modem to make changes to its settings. You do that only if you update the firmware.

If you find that you are always rebooting the modem after you change its settings, then you have a different problem. Or you are doing something wrong.

Message 6 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

Modem was faulty I'm now on my third replacement the longest it's been able to maintain a connection is 30 mins and DSL connection speed

is 30% slower than a cheap $50 dollar telstra modem and unlike the D8500 the connection is very stable

Message 7 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

Had Netgear take control of my pc so they could get an Idea what the problem was but

to no avail the UI even crashed and now I get ethernet cable unpluged error and the

auto dsl config won't even detect a dsl connection but manual configuration works

but connection will only last 30 mins before dropping out 

Netgear were suposed to call me back on tuesday to offer a solution but never did

At least My Netgear DGND 4000 works well I have high praise for that model it's

connection is rock solid and been using it for years and still going strong

@coolness787 wrote:

Modem was faulty I'm now on my third replacement the longest it's been able to maintain a connection is 30 mins and DSL connection speed

is 30% slower than a cheap $50 dollar telstra modem and unlike the D8500 the connection is very stable

Message 8 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

The issue has been resolved with using Firmware Version 
V1.0.3.30_1.0.1 now it works flawlessly thanks netgear for making my modem great again

Message 9 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

That fix didn't last long it drops adsl sync every hour but sometimes it will stay up for 18 hours had my phone line tested and it is fine and was also changed to a new port on the exchange as a matter of fact it crashed while a high level Telstra tech was at my premesis 

also the ui crashes every couple of days needing a power cycle to restore Ui funtionality

Message 10 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

I think Netgear has the worst customer i have ever experienced I have now gone back

to my DGND 4000 modem as it has a 30% faster connection speed and it can hold a

connection for more than 30 minutes also the interface works 300% and doesn't crash

Netgear how far you have fallen

@coolness787 wrote:

That fix didn't last long it drops adsl sync every hour but sometimes it will stay up for 18 hours had my phone line tested and it is fine and was also changed to a new port on the exchange as a matter of fact it crashed while a high level Telstra tech was at my premesis 

also the ui crashes every couple of days needing a power cycle to restore Ui funtionality

Message 11 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

They are sending out replacement number four perhaps it's fourth time lucky

I really hope it's just bad luck

Message 12 of 14
coolness787
Aspirant

Where's my solution Netgear I'm still waiting 

Message 13 of 14

Don't rely on this place for direct communications with Netgear. It is essentially a user-to-user forum with some input from a small team of Netgear people. They deal with technical problems, not warranty issues.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7