Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ONT routers

aahafez
Aspirant

ONT routers

Does NG produce ONT routers? What are the models?
Message 1 of 8

Re: ONT routers

@aahafez wrote:
Does NG produce ONT routers?

What's that? What do you want to do?

ONT = Optical Network Terminal. It is usually just the optical equivalent of a modem.

You plug a router into an ONT. Any Netgear router should fill the bill.

Message 2 of 8
aahafez
Aspirant

The service provider is using fiber optic cable for the internet service. The issue is that the supplied modem (Huawei echolife HG8121H) does accept the normal RG cable but those for fiber optic cable.
I have the nighthawk D7000 and cannot use. Do I need to replace it? Which model?
Some friends were saying to have a media converter as a solution.
Thank you
Message 3 of 8

@aahafez wrote:
The issue is that the supplied modem (Huawei echolife HG8121H) does accept the normal RG cable but those for fiber optic cable.

Is this a combined mode.router that has wifi and a set of Ethernet LAN ports? (I can't tell from the stuff I see I Google.)

If so, then it can be complicated to set this up with a second router.

@aahafez wrote:
I have the nighthawk D7000 and cannot use.

This is a DSL modem/router, not just a plain vanilla router. What do you want to use it for? Wifi? To manage your local network?

Whatever you want, you have to bypass the modem bit.

You have two options:

• use it as a router,
  • but if it clashes with the HG8121H you could use it as a wireless access point.

Read about both of these options in the manual for the D7000.

Manuals are always a good place to start.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

Check the sections in the manual Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service and Use the Modem Router as a WiFi Access Point.

@aahafez wrote:
Some friends were saying to have a media converter as a solution.

I have  no idea what that means. It sounds like nonsense.

Why did they suggest it? You have something you want to do?

Message 4 of 8
aahafez
Aspirant

If I want to replace the huawei with NG device, any recommendations
Message 5 of 8

@aahafez wrote:
If I want to replace the huawei with NG device, any recommendations

The Huawei echolife HG8121H is an ONT device.

Netgear does not make ONT kit. It makes routers the connect to someone else's ONT box.

I am not familiar with ONT stuff. On the basis of reading about modems for DSL and cable, to get rid of the Huawei box you need something else that does the ONT bit. I have no idea if there are alternative to what the ISPs supply.

It might help if you told people what you are trying to achieve. What do you want to do that the D7000 does. I did ask, but got no reply.

Message 6 of 8
aahafez
Aspirant

The huawei ONT device is limited in functionality not like NG devices, speed, range, connectivity to other users,…….
I want to replace the Huawei or find a way to connect it to the D7000 and make the D7000 the main router used.
Message 7 of 8

@aahafez wrote:
The huawei ONT device is limited in functionality not like NG devices, speed, range, connectivity to other users,…….

We still do not know exactly what functionality this ONT has. I did ask in a previous message.

@aahafez wrote:

I want to replace the Huawei or find a way to connect it to the D7000 and make the D7000 the main router used.

I explained how to go about that in an earlier message. Depending on what the ONT does, either use the D7000 in router mode or configure it as a wireless access point. The manual tells you how to do this.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7