Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ongoing issues with my AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Model D7000

ROGA1
Tutor

Ongoing issues with my AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Model D7000

Dear all, firstly, I wish to thank all those that previously replied with help, suggestions and advise. VERY much appreciated 🙂

I've managed to update my router to the latest version going forward from the previous existing version. All of these updates were security related.

There are still existing issues that were present before updating to the latest version, as follows:

The first of these issues I've been noticing happening for the past 3 to 4 weeks. On turning on my pc in the morning I find I have no internet connection ?? I go to the router and find there's a red / orange light under the little symbol which looks like a planet with a little circle around it. Strangely, this seams to happen over night, or has done so for the past two times this has happened, although this may have nothing to do with it ? 

This leads on to the next issue I'm having. 

After the above happening I then have to turn off the router completely, waiting a few seconds before I switch it on again. Once the router has restarted all the lights on the router are white and I'm able to connect again to the internet.

However, I'm only able to connect to the 5g band and not the 2.4 band. If I attempt to connect to the 2.4 band my pc says unable to connect ? I then have to proceed to connect to the 5g band, log in to www.routerlogin.net  go to the wireless tab and change the 2.4 bands SSID name and then click on save. Once it's been sent / uploaded to the router It then allows me to connect to the 2.4 band using the network key (VERY strange and confusing)

The above happens whenever the router is switched off for whatever reason.

I feel I'm steadily loosing patients with this router and all the strange things it's doing. Perhaps I need to perform a reset ? or adjust a setting/s somewhere ? change the channel ? (at the moment is set to auto on the 2.4 band)

I feel that this will be my last attempt at trying to get this router to act and function normally.

If I perform the reset, I think I need to back-up the settings first ? then, are you able to restore your settings once the router starts up after the reset ?

How is a reset performed ? as far as I understand the little black button is pressed in and held for a number of seconds ? I'm not sure and I'm no expert either. 

Many thanks once again to everyone 👍🙂

Message 1 of 2

Re: Ongoing issues with my AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Model D7000

@ROGA1 wrote:

On turning on my pc in the morning I find I have no internet connection ?? I go to the router and find there's a red / orange light under the little symbol which looks like a planet with a little circle around it.

Those lights suggest that your modem/router is losing its connection for some reason. This may be down to the ISP. The logs should show if the modem detected anything odd going on.

The modem would usually reconnect automatically when it loses the Internet connection, but you have to set it up as "always on".

Check this by going into the browser graphical user interface (GUI). Look for Always On in Internet Setup.

However, I'm only able to connect to the 5g band and not the 2.4 band. If I attempt to connect to the 2.4 band my pc says unable to connect ? I then have to proceed to connect to the 5g band, log in to www.routerlogin.net  go to the wireless tab and change the 2.4 bands SSID name and then click on save. Once it's been sent / uploaded to the router It then allows me to connect to the 2.4 band using the network key (VERY strange and confusing)

It is easy to blame the router when things like that happen, but you'd need to do some troubleshooting to confirm that this is the case.

Does this happen with all wifi clients?

If it is just the PC, then Windows may be doing its best to protect you from nasties on the outside world.

Have you set these bands to the same SSID? The router in the D7000 is pretty basic, with none of the bells and whistles like smart connect to make life easier/more complicated.

Why do you wan t your PC to work on 2.4 GHz? 5 GHz is faster and if it connects and stays connected there is really njo reason yo use 2.4 GHz for that device.

How is a reset performed ? as far as I understand the little black button is pressed in and held for a number of seconds ? I'm not sure and I'm no expert either. 

You could read the manual, or just follow this:

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7