Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Parental Controls on DGN2200v3

Montagu
Guide

Parental Controls on DGN2200v3

Hi

I am trying to set up Parental Controls, using the NetGenie app on a Windows 10 PC, with a NetGear DGN2200v3 router.

The app installed OK and starts up OK. The Home Page shows everything in green, so all is good with the router and network.

When I click "Parental Controls" it spends some time making sure the firmware supports live Parental Controls and identifying the router.

The router firmware is up to date (V1.1.00.25_1.00.25).

The app eventually returns a message "You don't appear to be connected to the internet. Please connect to the internet through your NETGEAR router and try again."

Clearly I am connected to the internet, through this router, as I am typing this message to this web page. I have rebooted and also reset the router.

If I log on to the router through a web browser, rather than through NetGenie, the Parental Controls tab says "Status: Not Enabled". But, clicking that tab simply takes me to a page where I can download NetGenie.

This router is not acting as DHCP Server, as I have a Windows Server 2012 machine doing that job. But I don't see why that would affect it, as everything else is working as expected.

Any help is appreciated,

Montagu

Message 1 of 7
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Montagu

Have you tested with the mobile apps see if they can access the parental controls?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 7
Montagu
Guide

Hi Darren

I have installed the Genie app on my phone.

That asks me to log on with my Netgear account, then to log on to the local router, then to log on to the OpenDNS account. Then I get an error "The action failed. Try again"

The OpenDNS username and password are correct as I can log on to the website using those credentials.

Does Parental Controls work, through the Genie app on a DGN2200v3, or not? I am wasting a lot of my own time trying to prove whether or not this client should go ahead and buy a Netgear router simply so they can have Parental Controls. But I am banging my head against a brick wall.

I can't call Support, for some reason, as they make it too difficult to get (a) the right number and, (b) through to the right person.

Frustratedly,

Monty

Message 3 of 7
Montagu
Guide

Does anyone have experience of actually getting Parental Controls to work?

Message 4 of 7
Cyousername
Aspirant

Not me. They used to work but stopped some time ago.
Message 5 of 7
kwbtech
Aspirant

I have the same problem.

Message 6 of 7
Cyousername
Aspirant

This was worked out for me a while back. I don't remember all the details but the main points are these:

1) I created an openDNS account some time ago, before I purchased a router with openDNS incorporated into it.

2) I purchased the new router with openDNS incorporated into it.

3) I used the new router's openDNS, which may have meant I created a new account.

4) Nothing worked.

5) Somewhere I found that the original openDNS service and the new Netgear-based openDNS service conflicted with one another. I was told I had to choose one or the other. Each one had some advantages, but I don't recall which I ended up choosing.  Someone at Netgear or openDNS may have needed to delete the account/service I chose not to use.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7