Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please Help! Cannot set up N300 DGN 2200v4 to connect to Internet

makgmommy92
Aspirant

Please Help! Cannot set up N300 DGN 2200v4 to connect to Internet

I have been trying the past few days to set up my new modem router so I can connect to internet. My Isp is windstream. I followed the directions but I am definitely not tech savy. I have encountered a few errors. When I hooked my ethernet cable into the lan port the genie says no cable detected. When I hooked it to the wan port my genie gets stuck on detecting internet connection. The only lights that come on are the the wps, wifi, lan, and power light. The others do not come on. What am I doing wrong? Windstream won't help me and netgear said they can't do much since I purchased for unauthorized seller.
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions

Re: Please Help! Cannot set up N300 DGN 2200v4 to connect to Internet

@makgmommy92 wrote:
It says on their website that certain speeds can be supported on adsl. I could be wrong about them not using vdsl here.

That message is telling you what the top speed will be if you have an ADSL service. It does not mean that you can stick an ADSL modem onto any service and get it to work at that speed.

If your service is VDSL then it will get nothing through an ADSL only modem. (Newer modems can do both ADSL and VDSL.)

For many services, the fastest you'll get with ADSL is 8 Mbps. Other than asking your ISP, one way to work out what service you have is to see what speed you are paying for. If your ISP says that you can get anything faster than around 12 Mbps, then it isn't ADSL and your DGN2200v4 modem won't work.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 13

All Replies

@makgmommy92 wrote:
I have been trying the past few days to set up my new modem router so I can connect to internet.

Not knowing what that modem router is, no one can even begin to guess what you need to do.

If you mean the DGN 2200v4 that is an ancient (2015 or 2011 for the original version) ADSL2+ modem/router. I doubt very much if Windstream uses ADSL2. It is almost 20th century.

Modern Internet is usually VDSL, Cable or even full fibre.

Message 2 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] my new modem router [...]

A DGN2200v4?  Who recommended that (not very "new") model?

> [...] My Isp is windstream. [...]

Which type of service are they giving you?

> [...] I followed the directions [...]

_Which_ "the directions"?  Some of the non-psychics in your audience
can't see what you see.

> [...] When I hooked my ethernet cable into the lan port [...]

An Ethernet cable normally has two ends.  What, exactly did you
connect to what, exactly, using your "my ethernet cable"?

"the lan port"?  Which LAN port is "_the_ lan port"?

> [...] my genie gets stuck on detecting internet connection. [...]

Forever?  Or is there a "set up manually" option?

> [...] What am I doing wrong? [...]

What are you doing?  With what?

> [...] I am definitely not tech savy. [...]

You shouldn't need great expertise for this, but the less you know,
the more important accurate, detailed, precise descriptions become.
(And the less value your analysis may have.)  What you did, and what
happened when you did it, are what matter. Vague descriptions of what
might be complex operations often convey little or no useful
information.

Message 3 of 13
makgmommy92
Aspirant

Hmm! If you are going to be rude and unhelpful why even answer the post? I purchased what I could afford and my old modem was dsl/adsl. My area has not switched to cable or vdsl. I will admit I do not know a lot about this area of expertise and probably should have done a little more research before purchasing. However you are not really trying to help me so just ignore my vague post.
Message 4 of 13
antinode
Guru

> [...] If you are going to be rude and unhelpful [...]

If you won't answer basic questions about your equipment, what you
did, and what happened when you did it, then "unhelpful" may be about
the best you could expect.  As for "rude", I don't see what you mean,
but I consider your wasting my time with information-free postings to be
more "rude" than anything else here.

Message 5 of 13
makgmommy92
Aspirant

Why do I need to tell you why I am using an "ancient" router? The lan ports are the first, second and third ports on the back of the modem. I tried all three. It still said that it could not detect the ethernet cable. It detects the ethernet cable when it is plugged into the wan port, which is the last port on the back of the modem. By I tried everything, I mean I followed the "directions" in the booklet that came with the modem since your "non psychic" brain could not figure that out. If your original post wasnt full of unkind and rude ways of questioning me then I wouldn't have any issue answer your question. I was hoping to come across someone that may of had the same issue of the setup process being stuck on detecting internet so they could offer up their solutions/advice. I have seen many posts on this site with people asking for help and their post aren't overly detailed either and they got advice from others without all of the snark and rudeness. I tried to auto connect with the genie setup and manually by entering all the info it asks for and I still have the same issue. It will not connect to the internet. All of the lights are on on the front of my modem/router. Do you need me to name off all the lights as well? Have you used this exact modem or had this issue before? If you have an issue with my lack of details you can once again ignore my post. I may or may not receive an answer to my issue. I may have made a mistake but I would never speak/type to someone like you did when they just asked for help.
Message 6 of 13

@makgmommy92 wrote:
My area has not switched to cable or vdsl.

Are you saying that your ISP still delivers ADSL?

I did a quick search for Windstream and could not see that it used ADSL. (It might prefer to keep quiet about still using tired old technology.) There are various conversations here about Windstream and they suggest that it uses VDSL and other technologies. That's why I asked about your internet service.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – Windstream

So it is probably down to your local network.

Following your reply, I found this:

Can I use my own equipment with Windstream services? | Support | Windstream

Unfortunately, that isn't conclusive either. There are different flavours of ADSL. Bonded for example is one variant that Netgear does not support.

What it boils down to is that you aren't likely to find a Windstream expert here, but the ISP should be able to tell you if your DGN 2200v4 is compatible.

There are still unanswered questions in your first message. If it is the DGN 2200v4 that is the modem you refer to, and if it is compatible with your Internet service, your first step should be to factory reset it:

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This will wipe out any settings from the previous owner. This is clearly a second hand modem/router. (Netgear hasn't made them for some years, and it is well beyond the 90-day support window, which doesn't apply ro second had devices.)

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

Look for the model number on the label on the device.

Begin with the Quick Start/Installation Guide.

You may have done that already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 7 of 13
makgmommy92
Aspirant

Unfortunately I have tried all of that and it has not worked. The modem name is in the description. I contacted windstream and they just told me they couldnt help me with 3rd party equipment. I had the same dsl modem that they provided me around 4 r 5 years ago. It says on their website that certain speeds can be supported on adsl. I could be wrong about them not using vdsl here. Thanks for trying to help though.
Message 8 of 13

@makgmommy92 wrote:
It says on their website that certain speeds can be supported on adsl. I could be wrong about them not using vdsl here.

That message is telling you what the top speed will be if you have an ADSL service. It does not mean that you can stick an ADSL modem onto any service and get it to work at that speed.

If your service is VDSL then it will get nothing through an ADSL only modem. (Newer modems can do both ADSL and VDSL.)

For many services, the fastest you'll get with ADSL is 8 Mbps. Other than asking your ISP, one way to work out what service you have is to see what speed you are paying for. If your ISP says that you can get anything faster than around 12 Mbps, then it isn't ADSL and your DGN2200v4 modem won't work.

Message 9 of 13
makgmommy92
Aspirant

I got through to someone at Windstream that let me know the modem being ADSL is not the issue. It isnt working because my service requires it to be bonded. I should have done more research before I purchased because I did not know that. Thanks for trying to help though.
Message 10 of 13

@makgmommy92 wrote:
I got through to someone at Windstream that let me know the modem being ADSL is not the issue. It isnt working because my service requires it to be bonded.

That is something I warned you about several messages ago.

Message 11 of 13
antinode
Guru

> That is something I warned you about several messages ago.

I asked "Which type of service", but got no (useful) response.  (How
rude!)

For the record:

https://kb.netgear.com/30296

Message 12 of 13
makgmommy92
Aspirant

I said I could have been mistaken in like 2 or 3 replies. I also said I appreciated all the help.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7