Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Please help me choose a better modem

@TheEther wrote:
Do you now see why a block list has no added value here?

Forgive me for butting in yet again, but I may have had what is a lightbulb moment. (Or maybe it just reveals my ignorance.)

If adding sites that the modem blocked to a block list is pointless – because the modem dealt with that already – is the whole idea that you add to the blocklist sites that the modem does not block?

Message 26 of 35
handy142
Tutor

@michaelkenward wrote:

@TheEther wrote:
Do you now see why a block list has no added value here?

Forgive me for butting in yet again, but I may have had what is a lightbulb moment. (Or maybe it just reveals my ignorance.)

If adding sites that the modem blocked to a block list is pointless – because the modem dealt with that already – is the whole idea that you add to the blocklist sites that the modem does not block?

yes, and i see it as  my modem does not block any untill i add them.

Message 27 of 35

@handy142 wrote:
yes, and i see it as  my modem does not block any untill i add them.

Sorry that makes no sense.

Your answer doesn't seem to relate to my question. Yes to what?

Earlier messages tell us that the modem was blocking sites that appeared in the logs. That's the whole point of the logs.They tell you what the modem blocked.

My question was about adding sites that are not in the logs.

Think I'll wait for TheEther to respond if he can bring himself to continue in a discussion that keeps going round in circles..

Message 28 of 35
TheEther
Guru

handy142, are you suggesting that packets that the modem has logged as DoS attacks are making it past your modem onto your home network?  What evidence do you have of that?

Message 29 of 35
handy142
Tutor

@TheEther wrote:

handy142, are you suggesting that packets that the modem has logged as DoS attacks are making it past your modem onto your home network?  What evidence do you have of that?

not geting past but geting processed by my modem as it would have been seen as a valid request.

Message 30 of 35
TheEther
Guru

You keep saying "processed" as if something undesirable is happening.   In fact the modem has done the proper thing by identifying it as an invalid packet and blocking it.  And it can do this on its own without the help of address filters.

I think this conversation has run its course.  I feel that I was unable to convince you that your request for additional address filters for the purposes of DoS protection is misplaced and unnecessary.  Hopefully, this conversation will be useful to others.

Message 31 of 35
handy142
Tutor

to stop this pointless roundabout ive closed this topic.

ill invest in an http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/R7000.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organic#ta...

as this comes with Denial-of-service (DoS) attack prevention.

Message 32 of 35

Closed?

Failed there too.

Message 33 of 35
jasontem629081
Aspirant

Ify

you need any help. Call.  843-870-7387. Only ask for jay. And his ss#  dob..  And federal #. A men

Message 34 of 35
jasontem629081
Aspirant

If you need me.  It's a call away.  Amen. 

843-870-7387

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7