Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Please help me choose a better modem

handy142
Tutor

Please help me choose a better modem

ive had a Netgear  DGND3300 working  for years its worked flawlesly but the influx if DoS attacks has forced me to use firewall rules to block the IP address doing the attack its worked for months.

a few days ago i reached my modems max amount of blocked IP's (109) i now would like a better modem that allows more IP's to be blocked if i can get one with no limit id be happy

Message 1 of 35

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Please help me choose a better modem

You keep saying "processed" as if something undesirable is happening.   In fact the modem has done the proper thing by identifying it as an invalid packet and blocking it.  And it can do this on its own without the help of address filters.

I think this conversation has run its course.  I feel that I was unable to convince you that your request for additional address filters for the purposes of DoS protection is misplaced and unnecessary.  Hopefully, this conversation will be useful to others.

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 35

All Replies

@handy142 wrote:

ive had a Netgear  DGND3300 working  for years its worked flawlesly but the influx if DoS attacks has forced me to use firewall rules to block the IP address doing the attack its worked for months.

Netgear's logging mistakenly described some legitimate traffic as DoS.

If you "whois" some of those IP addresses you may find that they are Google or even your |SP!

Message 2 of 35
handy142
Tutor

thanks for the quick responce i dont think my ISP would try to contact me 14 times in under 1 second 

this to me looks like a real attack

Message 3 of 35

@handy142 wrote:

i dont think my ISP would try to contact me 14 times in under 1 second

Why not? Maybe it is just responding to your traffic.

Message 4 of 35
handy142
Tutor

after doing a who is on one of the IP i get 

Organization:   RIPE Network Coordination Centre (RIPE)

this is NOT my ISP .... 

Message 5 of 35

@handy142 wrote:

after doing a who is on one of the IP i get 

Organization:   RIPE Network Coordination Centre (RIPE)

this is NOT my ISP .... 

Maybe not.

But nor is it the Russian mafia:

RIPE Network Coordination Centre

Message 6 of 35
handy142
Tutor

Sorry Mike your not helping here.
Can we get back to the topic ?
Message 7 of 35
TheEther
Guru

Let's try a different tack. The DGND3300 was already stopping the DoS attacks on its own. There's no additional benefit to IP address filters. In fact, the attacks are still occurring and still consuming downstream bandwidth on your Internet connection.

All address filters have done is stopped the attacks from being logged, not the attacks themselves. If the DoS attack logs were bothering you, you could have turned them off rather than resorting to the laborious process of maintaining address filters by hand, which is an utterly losing battle. It's no different than trying to block phone numbers. Both phone numbers and IP addresses can be spoofed. You'll forever be playing whack-a-mole.

Trust your DGND3300 to defend itself without your help.
Message 8 of 35
handy142
Tutor

What if u believe the game of wack a mole was worth it ?
But I could not longer continue due to reaching my limit
As for the time it takes to block these did attacks it's worth doing for the results I get.
Message 9 of 35

@handy142 wrote:
...it's worth doing for the results I get.

If you explain the results that you get, then perhaps someone can suggest a replacement modem that will give you improvements on that front.

Message 10 of 35
handy142
Tutor

ok, normally heres a good example of one "attack" (ive removed my IP from these)

Tue, 2017-01-17 03:09:16 - UDP Packet - Source:134.119.219.27,5445 - [DOS]
Tue, 2017-01-17 03:09:16 - UDP Packet - Source:134.119.219.27  - [PORT SCAN]

then i add that IP my my block list and then i get

Tue, 2017-01-24 15:04:19 - UDP Packet - Source:134.119.219.27,5327  - [Any(ALL) rule match]

in short this means they cant dos me again as ive blocked them

unfortunatly my modem can only block 108 IP's before it gets full i would like one that allows me more or unlimited blocked IP's

Message 11 of 35

Forgive me. I should have been clearer. We already know about the limited number of IP addresses you can block.

I should have said tell us the results that you get in terms of better performance when you block those addresses.

Does blocking them make your Internet go faster? Do you get a better browsing experience?

Message 12 of 35
TheEther
Guru

@handy142 wrote:

ok, normally heres a good example of one "attack" (ive removed my IP from these)

Tue, 2017-01-17 03:09:16 - UDP Packet - Source:134.119.219.27  - [PORT SCAN]

then i add that IP my my block list and then i get

Tue, 2017-01-24 15:04:19 - UDP Packet - Source:134.119.219.27,5327  - [Any(ALL) rule match]

in short this means they cant dos me again as ive blocked them 

This is not true.  One other precious resource to be protected is your Internet connection.  Someone can still take you down by flooding it.  A block list can do nothing to stop that.  All your block list has done has hidden the attack.  It's the equivalent of putting blinders on.  Functionally, nothing has changed.

Message 13 of 35
handy142
Tutor

In my opinion my setup allows me to block the DOS effectively stoping them.
I would agree with this type of attack is a flood attack designed to slow my connection.
Message 14 of 35
TheEther
Guru

The modem was already stopping the attacks.  The address filters aren't buying you anything.

Message 15 of 35
handy142
Tutor

i think my modem wasnt filtering anything untill i started to block them the report as above shows my modem recived the request(s)

once i block thenm my modem would ignore the IP and not process that request

Message 16 of 35

@TheEther wrote:

The address filters aren't buying you anything.

Does that mean that it is a waste of time looking for a device that allows a user to block an even bigger list of addresses?

Message 17 of 35
TheEther
Guru

handy142 wrote:

i think my modem wasnt filtering anything

It's time to stop thinking that.  Perhaps you don't realize that your DGND3300 has built-in firewall and NAT functions that block all unsolicited incoming traffic.  Your modem is technically a combination modem and router.

untill i started to block them the report as above shows my modem recived the request(s)

Actually, that report is literally a log about your modem blocking those request(s).  The modem was figuratively saying, "Hey, I'm letting you know that I identified a DoS attack from address A.B.C.D and blocked it."

once i block thenm my modem would ignore the IP and not process that request

Do you understand, now, why your address filters aren't buying you anything?  The modem already did its job of blocking the request without your help.

michaelkenward wrote:

@TheEther wrote:

The address filters aren't buying you anything.

Does that mean that it is a waste of time looking for a device that allows a user to block an even bigger list of addresses?

In the context of preventing DoS attacks, yes, it's a waste of time.  As I mentioned above, the built-in firewall and NAT components already prevent these attacks from reaching your home network.

I didn't mention this before, but there's also a pretty good chance that address filters will disable hardware acceleration, force the main CPU to handle all traffic and potentially slow down your Internet connection.

Message 18 of 35

@TheEther wrote:

I didn't mention this before, but there's also a pretty good chance that address filters will disable hardware acceleration, force the main CPU to handle all traffic and potentially slow down your Internet connection.

Oh dear. This gets more complicated by the minute.

Thanks for the tutorial. Very helpful.

Message 19 of 35
handy142
Tutor

*facepalm* look can we get back to topic please ?

can you recomend a router that can do what ive asked or not ?

i dont care if its wack a mole, i am convinced what i am doing is the correct thing to do

please can you help me ?

Message 20 of 35

@handy142 wrote:
i am convinced what i am doing is the correct thing to do

There lies your problem.

Message 21 of 35
handy142
Tutor

ok this is how i see it 

my modem recives a UDP packet from XXX.XXX.XXX.XX:  and logs it 

it has to process the request. as the request is deemed by my router as a "valid" request.

As this can be one or many requests (flood attack) which can slow down or even stop a connection (DoS) 

since i dont belive my modem does not stop the request (yet) but logs the fact this has happend.

i then add the IP to a block rule effectivly stopping the modem processing any requests from that IP.

side thought ....

i wonder if its 109 active rules or 109 in total ... 

Message 22 of 35
TheEther
Guru

Let's suppose your modem/router receives a UDP packet with source address x.x.x.x and source port y to destination address m.m.m.m and destination port n.

To process it, your modem/router looks up its NAT table for an existing session that matches x.x.x.x, y and n.  If no session exists, then it checks for any port forwarding entries that match n.  If none exist, then it checks if a DMZ is configured.  If not, it drops the packet.  

Most of this work is highly optimized and is really no sweat for the modem/router to perform.  Adding address filters is not only going to save an immaterial amount of processing but it will slow down the entire packet processing pipeline because the modem/router will be forced to disable hardware acceleration and pass all packets through the CPU for deep packet inspection.

Message 23 of 35
handy142
Tutor

@TheEther wrote:

Let's suppose your modem/router receives a UDP packet with source address x.x.x.x and source port y to destination address m.m.m.m and destination port n.

To process it, your modem/router looks up its NAT table for an existing session that matches x.x.x.x, y and n.  If no session exists, then it checks for any port forwarding entries that match n.  If none exist, then it checks if a DMZ is configured.  If not, it drops the packet.  

Most of this work is highly optimized and is really no sweat for the modem/router to perform.  Adding address filters is not only going to save an immaterial amount of processing but it will slow down the entire packet processing pipeline because the modem/router will be forced to disable hardware acceleration and pass all packets through the CPU for deep packet inspection.

thats not how i see it useing one packet  as example (rember this will be part of a flood acctack so there is more then one to process)

-1-  my modem recives the packet from x.x.x.x - checks the firewall rules first and its not on a block list

- 2- the packet is recocised as a requst to my modem

-3-  the modem would then process the request (not shure if a responce would be sent back but lets say no for now)

-------------------------------------------- if on list ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-1a -my modem recives the packet from x.x.x.x - checks the firewall rules first and IS on a block list

-2b- the packet would not have to be processed as its on the list and the request is ignored

thats how i see it (roughly)

Message 24 of 35
TheEther
Guru

handy142 wrote: 

thats not how i see it useing one packet  as example (rember this will be part of a flood acctack so there is more then one to process)

-1-  my modem recives the packet from x.x.x.x - checks the firewall rules first and its not on a block list

- 2- the packet is recocised as a requst to my modem

It's not really a request.  A request implies that the packet is something that modem would send a response to.  Most packets that are not dropped by the modem will transit through to a device on the home network.

-3-  the modem would then process the request (not shure if a responce would be sent back but lets say no for now)

It would process it in the manner I described (i.e. NAT lookup, port forwarding and DMZ check).  The end result is same as your case below with the block list;  the packet is dropped by the modem and is not sent to your home network.

-------------------------------------------- if on list ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-1a -my modem recives the packet from x.x.x.x -

Because a block list is present, the modem redirects the packet to the slower, non-optimized packet processing path.  All packets, including good traffic, must go through this slower path.  If no block list is present, the modem will process the packet much more efficiently.

checks the firewall rules first and IS on a block list

-2b- the packet would not have to be processed as its on the list and the request is ignored

thats how i see it (roughly)

In both cases, the packet is blocked by the modem.  Do you now see why a block list has no added value here?

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7