Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pppoe to dhct

Danioakwood
Aspirant

Pppoe to dhct

I lost internet today. I called my dsl provider and they said they are no longer using Pppoe (I think that is what they said). Anyways, I know they said my Netgear d6200 will not work under the old configurations and I have to talk to Netgear about configuring it to work. They could only tell me "RFC1483, bridge connection via dhct". I have no idea what that means. I am the one who originally set this up and so I guess I know the simple basics to get me online, but it's been 3 years since I have had to get into my settings and do it and what she said made no sense to me.
Model: D6200|Dual Band 11ac ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 39
antinode
Guru

Re: Pppoe to dhct

> [...] "RFC1483, bridge connection via dhct" [...]

DHCP?  I'd guess that you want something like BASIC > Internet : Does
your Internet connection require a login? : No.  If it's dead now, you'd
seem to have little to lose.  (But, as always, saving your old settings
can't hurt.)  In this context, "DHCP" is approximately equivalent to
"Get Dynamically from ISP" and/or "Get Automatically from ISP".

> [...] what she said made no sense to me.

It's usually best to get such things in writing.  If nothing else,
that should avoid things like "dhct".

Message 2 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Antinode, ah yes, thanks so much. I thought it was DHCP and what you explained about get dynamically from isp I understand, but I thought I had set it up like that to begin with. After the phone call, I got online on my phone and did a text chat and told them what I was told earlier. I asked them to explain it and they said they could offer me no more than what was said earlier and didn't even correct me typing dhct instead of DHCP. I think I know what I need to do and will try later. I don't know how I survived as a child without internet. Lol

Message 3 of 39
antinode
Guru

> [...] I thought I had set it up like that to begin with.

It's common to use DHCP with or without some kind of PPP
(Point-to-Point Protocol) encapsulation (either PPPoA or PPPoE).  The
real question is which, if any, PPP encapsulation is used.  With PPPoA
or PPPoE, you can just say "PPPoA" or "PPPoE".  If no PPP encapsulation
is used, then there's no snappy descriptive term, so people fall back on
"DHCP", which is not very helpful.  As you realized, you were using DHCP
before, with PPPoE.

Plain-old PPP originated in the old days with dial-up modems on
plain-old telephone lines, where username+password credentials were
important -- you didn't want to allow anyone who could guess your phone
number to connect to your network.

In a sense, the Netgear question, "Does your Internet connection
require a login?", while not revealing much motivation, is less
ambiguous.  The PPP encapsulation schemes are used largely to enable the
use of username+password credentials, as in the dial-up days.  So, if
your Internet connection does not require a login, then it's not using
PPP.  And answering "No" to that question should switch to a (simpler)
non-PPP scheme.

> [...] I don't know how I survived as a child without internet. [...]

I used books.

Message 4 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Antinode, thanks for the info. I've tried figuring this out using what you have said, what I think I know, and some searching on the internet, but I Obviously have no clue what I need to do because I can't get my internet back up. I've open my router settings and the "use router as a DHCP server" is checked. I also see that "required login" was chosen with a login and password applied. I unchecked the login, but it did nothing. I've tried using the setup wizard, but it can't find a connection. Do I need a separate modem to bridge to my D6200? I don't know. Forgive me for my stupidity on this. I once use to be very resourceful and could find and learn how to solve my technical problems, but I now find myself with two toddlers, little sleep, and mush brain.

I survived by books when I was kid too. My sister hated that everytime we went on a trip, I had to bring my big bag of books. I still do. I can't ever choose just one or two and I'm always afraid I'll get on my trip and wish I would have brought one that I didn't pack. I'm quite sure though no internet as an adult now, may kill me. Not only am I unable to pay bills quickly or grocery shop without two crazy kids to chase after, I'm not able to research or read things I don't have a book here for. 😉 Relying on my phone's​ Mobil data isn't cutting it, I need my computer without using my phone as a hotspot. I desperately need my home internet back up.
Message 5 of 39

Which Internet service provider are you on? Perhaps a fellow victim can help.

You could try running the setup wizard again, in the hope that it will recognise the settings you need.

There is a manual for the D6200 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D6200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

See page 40.

If it doesn't work first time around, you could try a factory reset so that the thing forgets its previous settings.

Does the DSL light on the front turn green?

Message 6 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Thanks Michael. My provider is TDS, maybe not for much longer if I can't get this resolved. They said they made changes (stopped using Pppoe...I think is what she said, slight accent and hard to totally understand). The changes took effect yesterday, hence my problem started.

I've tried running setup wizard many times. Always says it can't connect to internet. I've done a factory reset (reset button on back) and yet I still see my login settings still there once rebooted and no change in connection.

DSL light is on and green, internet light is on and orange. Thanks so much for your help.
Message 7 of 39

These people?

Internet, Cable TV, & Phone Services - TDS Official Website

Their own website is painfully slow. It is also very thin on useful information. No mention of broadband FAQs.

I would be tempted to take to Twitter in an attempt to name and shame them.

TDS Telecom (@tdstelecom) on Twitter

Their Twitter feed is not very encouraging, with all those service breaks.

Message 8 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

My thoughts exactly. They have always provided slow connection since we moved out here to the sticks (ugh). We surprizingly can stream Netflix and the like, but at night time we often have to take everything off the network except for the direct connected Roku to be able to stream. The service cost us $40 with connection never higher than 3mbps at any time. I had them come out and check the line a few years ago and they blamed it on my inside lines. My neighbors mean while have gone to satellite...Our other option with a cost of at least $75 on smallest plan with equipment fee and possible monthly restrictions.

I as well had checked all over their website yesterday. Horrible way to implement something with no customer support what so ever. Funny, I also looked at their Twitter account yesterday and concidered bringing this problem to their attention. They seemed to respond better to that looking at their Twitter page. 😕
Message 9 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

I've done another factory reset on D6200 since I didn't think the first time did it properly. This time it did indeed wipe out all settings and proceeded to connect and set up service when I accessed the menu. It still said it couldn't connect to the internet and looking at the modem/router the light for the internet is no longer orange, but completely off. The DSL, power, and wifi lights are on and proper colors for working.
Message 10 of 39
antinode
Guru

> [...] proceeded to connect and set up service when I accessed the
> menu. [...]

What are the settings on the BASIC > Internet page now?

According to:

https://tdstelecom.com/support/internet/equipment-modem-options.html

If you choose to purchase your own DSL modem, Technical Support
      will provide you with the necessary settings for connecting but
      will not support the modem.

I'd like to see what those "necessary settings" are, preferably in
writing.  Of particular interest would be these (not all of which may
apply):

Multiplexing Method  [ LLC-BASED | VC-BASED ]
      VPI
      VCI
      VLANID
      Does your Internet connection require a login?  (I'd assume "No".)

Until/unless those low-level DSL settings are right, there's little hope
of getting connected.  (The built-in Wizard couldn't puzzle it out?)

> I would be tempted to take to Twitter [...]

I'd be tempted to try to get the problem solved.

Message 11 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Antinode, I can't see the settings on the page because it won't send me to that page now. When I open my browser and go to the router page, the wizard automatically tries to make the connection and after 5 or more minutes later it says it is unable to find a internet connection. It says something else and I believe I have the option to do a walk through to imput the settings manually after it gives me that message, but I haven't been able to mess with it much after this afternoon. I will look at it tomorrow and tell you what it exactly says.

I agree they should give me the settings. I don't understand how hard that is to do. It shouldn't matter if I am not using their equipment, the imputs should be the same. I had sent them an email last night stating pretty much the same and what their website says about providing me with the settings. I have yet to receive a reply.

I got a mobile jet pack for the next couple of weeks now. That will help a bit and I will wait til tomorrow to see what more I can do. I'm at a total loss. I have no clue.
Message 12 of 39
gjh42
Tutor

I have been hit by the same event. Brief phone messages a few days in advance and a small notice on their customer support page, all they said was to contact modem mfr to switch to DHCP. Called tds tech support and was told to use RFC 1483, no info on what that meant, and no option for it in Netgear genie. I pried the VPI (0) and VCI (35) out of them before they sent me off to Netgear support.

Research seemed to show PPPoA was related to RFC 1483, so I tried that with no luck. I am currently using a borrowed phone for wi-fi, can't keep it long.

Message 13 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Gjh42, exact situation. I also received the warning phone calls of the change, but unfortunately they were not understandable. Customer Service asked me if I ever received the calls and I said yes, the first one there was no one there and the second one had the recording speaking "slow motion" and I couldn't understand it. I never knew what was to come until the internet went out.

Those vpi and vci numbers look familiar and I think those were the correct numbers that I originally had imputed before the problem happenend. If that's true, then there is something else that needs to be changed. I haven't tried messing with it more since yesterday afternoon. I'll try again this afternoon. I wonder if using a separate modem and router will make any difference? My D6200 is a combo. I know TDS rents out combo...Or did...And it's an action tech, all if them are action techs. I thought of buying one of those, but I don't want to waste money yet and I've used someone's​ before in their home and the WiFi range and speed was absolutely horrible. I was quite sure it was due to their rented actiontech from TDS.

Hugh's satellite offers out here. Reception shouldn't be a problem since there isn't much out here to get in the way. However, it's a two year contract, the lowest plan is 50-60 I think, and you pay for the dish up front (350) or monthly (15). I'm concidering it. Much better speeds for sure.

We'll see how long the husband holds out. Once I have to return the jet pack and he has no way to watch Netflix on the weekend, I bet he will be fixing the problem. 😉
Message 14 of 39
antinode
Guru

> [...] Research seemed to show PPPoA was related to RFC 1483, so I
> tried that with no luck. [...]

If PPPoA were right, then the ISP would probably have said "PPPoA".
If they said "bridge", then PPPo<anything> would seem unlikely.

Message 15 of 39
gjh42
Tutor

My D6200 has only PPPoE or PPPoA options. Is it possible that it can't be made to work with tds? If it can, how? I expect there are hundreds if not thousands of people suddenly in the same boat, depending on how wide this change is.

Message 16 of 39

Your Internet service provider broke your system.

In your shoes I would demand that they provide a free modem, then you could use that as the front end and use the D6200 as a router

Message 17 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Michael, although I don't have the technical knowledge to know how that is possible, it makes sense. I just received a reply from my email to them and customer service blamed me by saying outbound warning calls were made twice. She left it at that and offered nothing else , but to blame the customer. It also makes sense with every other answer I've gotten from them which have been vague or flat out told me that there was nothing else they could tell me. It definitely has seemed like they are avoiding something.

I did hook up another Netgear combo that I have and that one didn't work either. However, I had problems with that before, which is why I had bought this other one. They either broke the current one or they have found a way to keep people from being able to use Netgear or other personal modems/routers and therefore forcing people to rent their own equipment. Well, if that's the case, for less than 3mpbs down load speeds and crappy Customer Service, I'll talk the husband into going to satellite internet even if it costs more. I'm so ticked. I just got that email response from them and then saw your reply. I am beyond ticked right now. Blaming the customer....Smh.
Message 18 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

I had sent another email response to them and this is their second response. What do you make of it?

Daniele,
Thank you for responding back.  I am sorry for the trouble you are having but as for the settings to change over since you have a non-tds modem you will need to contact the manufacture to have them to help you change to DHCP settings as we do not support the non-TDS modems.  All they have to do is switch the modem from PPPOE to DHCP should not take long to make the change over on the settings.

Kelly
TDS Customer Support
Message 19 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Gjh42, I was wondering the samething and wondering if it needs an update or else if there is a way to switch myself...I'm not seeing it.
Message 20 of 39

I have tried to find useful information on their website. It is hopeless. No other ISP I have encountered is that thin on details.

You should be able to get things here:

ISP information for North America | Answer | NETGEAR Support

But it is nearly a year out of date.

There is one clue in there, it says

DHCP (Mac Spoof)

Maybe this will help:

No Internet with new router - MAC spoofing | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 21 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

Michael, ok, starting to get somewhere. I followed the instructions for the Mac spoofing link that you provided. In the Netgear menu, under advance tab, in the internet port box of info....The active connection does now say DHCP. However, still no internet. The DSL light on D6200 is green, but the internet light is orange. I am thinking I need to buy a router tonight and pair it with the 6200. Ugh.
Message 22 of 39
Danioakwood
Aspirant

I also want to add my big thanks to those who have been responding and working with me on this. I really appreciate it!
Message 23 of 39
antinode
Guru

> My D6200 has only PPPoE or PPPoA options.  [...]

Among the PPPo<anything> options, it has only PPPoA or PPPoE options.
The non-PPPo<anything> option is, I believe, "Does your Internet
connection require a login?" = "No".

> [...] Is it possible that it can't be made to work with tds?

Sure, it's _possible_.

> [...] I followed the instructions for the Mac spoofing link [...]

Which "the instructions"?  What, exactly, did you do?

> [...] The DSL light on D6200 is green, [...]

I'd guess that that has nothing to do with anyone's MAC address.

> [...] but the internet light is orange.

If the DSL link is now up, then the ISP may be able to do something
about the "Internet" problem.  Ask them if your MAC address matters.

Message 24 of 39
antinode
Guru

No bets, but after making a change to something as fundamental as the
low-level DSL settings, you might want to power-cycle the router before
deciding that the change was ineffective.

Note that the modem shown in that MAC-spoof article was a cable
modem, not DSL.  Cable-TV ISPs typically worry about the MAC address of
a modem.  It's not proof, but I've never heard of a DSL provider who
cares.

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7