Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printer not sharing over network on DGND3700

michaelIT
Aspirant

Printer not sharing over network on DGND3700

We previously had an older netgear modem/router that we used to share a printer around the machines in the building. The printer is connected by USB to one computer then the others could share it by using the kodak software to install.

Since installing the new router (none of the machines connection to the router have changed, they're all the same as they were on the previous router), I have been unable to get the other machines to find the printer. When I try and install with the kodak software it cannot locate the printer on the network.

when I browse through the network to the machine with the printer shared I can see the printer, but still cannot add it.

The only thing that's changed is the router, so is there some setting I need to reset on the machines/router to allow the printer to share?
Message 1 of 11
fordem
Mentor

Re: Printer not sharing over network on DGND3700

The router is not the problem - it plays no part in sharing a printer attached to a computer.

What may have happened is that with the new router, either the network address or the host address of the computer has changed, and you may now have "trust" issues - especially if you're using Windows 7 - if Windows 7 sees any change to the network it may decide it's not a "trusted" network.

What was the network address with the old router, and what is it with the new router - has it changed?
Message 2 of 11
michaelIT
Aspirant

network address was DHCP on both routers, so it just gave them whatever was available. I doubt they have the same address than they did before, but if this was the issue then when I tried to reinstall from scratch they would have picked up the new location and installed.
Message 3 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

some of the router now has " wireless isolation" so if you are mixing both wireless PC and wired PC then it will causes the issues.
Message 4 of 11
michaelIT
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
some of the router now has " wireless isolation" so if you are mixing both wireless PC and wired PC then it will causes the issues.

and is there some way to correct this if this is the issue? We do use several wired and several wireless macchines.
Message 5 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Login the router and look at it
Message 6 of 11
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Go to the router web interface then to Wireless settings. Make sure that Wireless isolation is not checked.
Message 7 of 11
sabretooth
Apprentice

As stated above, turn off your firewall and attempt to see if that works. When done, turn on the firewall and add it to your trusted network.
Message 8 of 11
theTechman05
Aspirant

Ports should be same but unless you turned isolation on, it should be default off. My thoughts are to check the printer IP in its settings. If you weren't sharing through a PC this might be a bit easier to solve but still emd result is to make sure your pointing to the right PC/printer for your presumed office.
Message 9 of 11
fordem
Mentor

michaelIT wrote:
network address was DHCP on both routers, so it just gave them whatever was available. I doubt they have the same address than they did before, but if this was the issue then when I tried to reinstall from scratch they would have picked up the new location and installed.

Let's be very clear as to what the network address is - if your pc's ip address is 192.168.0.23 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 - the network portion of the address is 192.168.0 and the host portion of the address is 23.

Understand that?

Now go back & check - my question was has the network address changed - in other wards has the 192.168.0 portion changed.
Message 10 of 11
theTechman05
Aspirant

michaelIT wrote:

For simplicity yhe IP of the PC should be reserved ,if not you may be pointing elsw where. I had mine non static using the printers name in the my network section and when I turned it off it would loose it so I had to go by static IP to resolve having to reinstall to repoint.

Thats my appended thought.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7