Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Focusrite
Aspirant

I don't like the way you try to solve the problem. First you need to calm down.

Message 26 of 78
Focusrite
Aspirant

don't buy products based on advertisements or videos by the companies who make them. buy them based on end-user reviews.

Message 27 of 78
mackov83
Star

@Focusrite, I am assuming you are referring to my posts considering the reference to the video.

I selected the Vigor 130 based on other reviews AND the video as it showed in depth what was required to configure bridge mode on the device. Not that it was difficult, however good to see that they took the time to do it.

FWIW configuration on bothe devices was just as simple. Net result, DM200 failed to deliver
Message 28 of 78
Focusrite
Aspirant

no. i was referring to "Retired_Member" 's posts.

Message 29 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

I just bought this modem.  I have Centurylink non-bonded internet ADSL PPPoE.

What I have discovered in the one I have.. DM200-100NAS  is that when in Modem Only mode unless you have a separate router to plug into it you lose all access to the modem and there is no internet.

Apparently Modem Only mode is ONLY used if you have a separate router device and THAT is what handles processing the signals and sending to the ports for each device like TV, Computer, Security System etc...  

If you just are using it stand alone then only use the Modem+Router option.  I find this odd as there is only one port so not sure how the routing comes into play but whatever.

Also I can NOT get the control panel to work at all, no access to it when in Modem Only mode.   

I do not know if that is how this modem works and it is normal or if I have a bad modem or don't really know what I am doing. I followed all the directions, I have the internet working via a separate router. It was not a fun experience getting this to work.

I feel your pain.

Message 30 of 78
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

It is how it works. But i doesnt do a true transparent bridge. Most ppl think modem only means bridge mode and that is common venacular in the networking world. But with a NG modem its not true. I have noting else to add. Returned it.

Message 31 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

I exchanged the modem for an identical model to see if it was a bad modem, It wasn't.  I can get the modem to work but in modem only mode there is no access to the controls at all.  Downloaded the genie software and same thing, no access to the modem.  Internet does work just zero access to the modem controls.

I am not a networking expert or anything, I just want the thing to work so I can have internet and it does even in modem only mode as long as a separate router is used.  My internet is NOT VDSL so even if that mode works as it should I can't use it with my Centurylink account.  It's all non-bonded ADSL PPPoE here.

Other than the not being able to access the controls the modem is working for providing internet.

Message 32 of 78
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

In modem only mode its not designed to give you access to the settings. I suggest returning the DM200 for reasons documented elsewhere.

Message 33 of 78

@JakeD wrote:

I find this odd as there is only one port so not sure how the routing comes into play but whatever.

Two things come to mind: the router also manages different wifi connections; it can also handle traffic to a switch, one of those boxes that can connect a bunch of separate LAN connections.

I have an 8-port switch connected to my modem/router. It connects several NAS boxes and a laptop to a single LAN port on my modem/router. The other ports on the modem/router go out to more PCs.

Another scenario would be to connect the router to a Powerline network.

So, even a single LAN port can need the help of a router.

Message 34 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

I do not understand anything you just said.  LOL

There is only two connections on the back of the modem.. one for phone and one for ethernet. The modem is NOT wi-fi enabled at all just one ethernet port.

I was thinking of getting a netgear 5 port switch to connect the modem and when I get cable internet, connect that modem to the switch also so that when one ISP goes out for whatever reason there is a fall back internet connection.  Then connect my Asus Wi-Fi router to that.  The switch itself is not Wi-Fi just has one out and 4 in ports. I did not buy it yet, saw it at Bestbuy though.

Interesting that this DM200 modem if you disable DCHP or whatever it is called that it stops working. Same for my router if that is disabled it is just a paper weight. Even in modem only mode so for whatever reason everything seems to need that enabled all the way up the chain.  I do not understand networking that well or care too. just want to plug **bleep** in and have it just work.  This modem after days of messing with it and a previous version I got it working with my router.  All I care about.

Message 35 of 78
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

I cant spend any more time on it. As I said I sugested you swap it out which is what I did after 4 weeks of BS ing around. Im no about to relive that. You can follow my advice and also read the threads and return it or keep it and ask NG how to make it work because I dont know an Im not intersted in troubleshooting their product any further. Im not intersted in solving NGs problems and provided as much help as I could given similar probs with the DM200 on an ADSL setup with a NG router. Good luck.

Message 36 of 78
schumaku
Guru

Amazing mix of issues here with the DM200 in modem mode. Allow some notes:

1. The DM200 does work pretty nice in many DSL environments - with a few exceptions (in ISP or in the usage) - at least as long as the aim are outgoing connctions LAN/WLAN -> Internet only.

2. The DM200 can be accessed on it's 192.168.5.1(/24) address even in Modem mode. The problem is that most conusmer routers can't make it happen as they don't expect this address on the WAN/Internet side or becuase they don't allow adding a secondary static IP subnet on the WAN interface.

3. Can't get rid of the impression we have some more victims of the DM200 customer discovering the DM200 in Modem mode does _not_ work as a fully transparent modem especially for Internet/DSL -> Router connections. They do some kind of L2 bridging/filtering/"routing" - and this does prohibit iconing connectionf from the Internet to a router (or any other system) connected on the router, the LAN port ... Now, tis technology does allow the #1 above at least.

@ChristineT ... any update beyond of the DM200 1.0.0.44 firmware?

Message 37 of 78
F35TY
Aspirant

Just got one of these and had some fun setting it up with my IPFire box, BT openreach modem fine, the dm200 nothing.

So after much searching finding VDSL is PPPoe over VLan, so I set it to Modem mode and pass through VLan ticked.

Then on the IPFire box set the dial connection to VDSL instead of PPPOE and input the Vlan 101. (the INET VLAN box is not present in PPPOE mode and your vlan id may not be 101 letting the modem running auto configure as router will show you the service type and the VLan)

Hit connect and it worked!!! Yay

This took about an hour of research and pullling hair out "because this should just work!! What the....!" but maybe it will help someone else get theres working. 🙂

TTFN

f35T3R

Message 38 of 78
martinhj
Apprentice

Wow I read this thread and ended up skpi reading it but what a rant!

i decided to get one of these to replace my BT Openreach modem so I could see the line sync speed in the modem and a few stats.

Connected Openreach modem to router was removed and DM200 plugged into wall palte...ran though wizard to prove it worked....no issues......changed to modem mode.....plugged into router....it worked...where do all these issues from?

All I did do after was put a switch between modem and router....that way I can plug my laptop into the switch, statically configure the IP setings and query the router to see the line stats.....my only suspicion here is that the line is getting dropped when I do this (?) and the DLM has reduced my speed in trying this numerous times so now need to wait for it to synch back up to the higher speed!

Message 39 of 78

@martinhj wrote:
All I did do after was put a switch between modem and router....

That's not the usual layout. The switch plugs into the router.

Message 40 of 78
Muzuars
Aspirant

Has anyone got the DM200 to work with IPv6 mode in modem/bridge mode?

Suspect it's not a true transparent bridge as IPv6 packets don't seem to reach the gateway and I get no DHCPv6 solicits replies?

Message 41 of 78
Jscott123
Initiate

Had problems trying to connect a DM200, firmware version 1.0.0.44, in bridge mode to my ADSL ISP (iinet).

Worked in router mode but could not get a connection between my router, a Netgear FVS336G and the DM200 with the DM200 in modem only mode.

Windows 10 was also unable to establish a PPPoE connection with the DM200.  

After several rounds and no success with Netgear first level support, who implicated the Netgear FVS336G, I asked for a refund. Problem was escalated and solution, at least for now, was to regress to firmware 1.0.0.34.

DM200 now happily connecting in bridge mode, while I wait for a future firmware release that will, hopefully, also work.

@jsam wrote:

Has anyone else had issues using the DM200 in modem only mode to bridge an ADSL connection?  Im trying to use my DM200 in "modem only" device mode to bridge the PPPoA connection from my provider to a router. This has been working very well previously with a different modem. I can put the DM200 into modem only mode, but no connection is established with the router and theres no way to set the DM200s internet settings or tell what its current state is (they are all grayed out). For instance, I need the modem to be using ADSL (PPPoA) but theres no way for me to set this or to tell what its currently setup to do (perhaps it's in a VDSL mode?). When in modem only mode, what settings is it using for the modem and how could I set them if I need them changed?

To confirm this was a problem with the DM200s modem only mode, I plugged in my old modem and it worked properly bridging the PPPoA connection. If the DM200 is in router+modem mode, thus letting me specify the internet connection settings, I can get it to connect to my ISP so I think there's something wrong with how it gets configured in modem only mode and there's no way to change it in the firmware

Thank you

Message 42 of 78
Automan
Apprentice

I also foolishly updated the firmware on my one and it no longer worked in modem mode. 

Firmware Version 1.0.0.52

Even after a full reset, it would work in modem/router mode but not just in modem mode.

The fix also was just to install the oldest firmware (this can be done in modem mode) and then without any configuration changes it then worked again.

Firmware Version 1.0.0.34

Message 43 of 78

The fix also was just to install the oldest firmware (this can be done in modem mode) and then without any configuration changes it then worked again.

Firmware Version 1.0.0.34

Sounds like there are several victims of this one. Do we know that Netgear's techs are on the case? Would it be worth a bit of escalation?

Message 44 of 78
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenwardwrote:

Sounds like there are several victims of this one. Do we know that Netgear's techs are on the case? Would it be worth a bit of escalation?

Of course - and there is more for the time aftr the escalation (assume you have more luck than I had): A Modem which does come out of the box in a router config, a modem where the QSG does talk of "3. Set Up the DSL Modem in Router (Modem + Router) Mode and Connect to the Internet", and "4. (Optional) Connect a Router to the DSL Modem", a Modem where the (Edit: first hundred or more should read 67) pages of the user manual describe a router, a Modem not working as a modem on the current firmware version, and a Modem blocking incoming traffic from the Internet tot the router. What a product Man Sad

And (of course?) it's not listed as a Model to be selected from the list here in the community many months (of not more than a year) since it was launched.

no DM200.PNG

Netgear did not care about my complaints - there was not even a response ever. And those who know me know that I can be loud and clear.

67 pages of User Manual to read before you find on how to disable a feature which is not a product feature for a modem

DM200 69 pages to disable routing.PNG

For those which don't believe - the box clearly says it's a Modem:

MVIMG_20180227_234503.jpg

Regards,

AnotherDM200victim

PS. For now, it's a don't touch with a 20 ft pole product.

PPS. And what a honour: This is my 1000 reply posted in the community. And there are not many with such big complaint!

Message 45 of 78
schumaku
Guru

The DM200 Data Sheet does also clealry state it's a Modem and it has to be connected to a router or direct to a computer.

Message 46 of 78

@schumaku wrote:

@michaelkenwardwrote:

Of course - and there is more for the time aftr the escalation (assume you have more luck than I had):

Escalated through different channels. Let's see if that gets anywhere.

Message 47 of 78
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

When the Dm200 is set into bridge mode you cannot set the settings on Dm200 if you have PPPoA or PPPoE credential settings you need input that has to be setup on router side.

DarrenM

Message 48 of 78

Is this related to the reports here that the latest firmware makes it impossible to set the DM200 in modem only mode?

This message sums up the situation:

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode - Page 2 - NETGEAR Communities

Message 49 of 78
schumaku
Guru

@DarrenMwrote:

When the Dm200 is set into bridge mode you cannot set the settings on Dm200 if you have PPPoA or PPPoE credential settings you need input that has to be setup on router side.

Of course, that's the way it is with DSL Modems - any kind of tunnels (protocol encapsulation, related authentication) must be terminated on a router (or a computer for the sake of it).  Exactly the functionality we expect of what a DSL Modem product should do. And not defaulting to a router mode, not blocking incoming connections from the Internet to the router side in modem mode, or fail completely in modem mode with the latest update. Everything reported several times - and nobody cared about fixing. As many other DM200 customers, we have replaced it by a DSL modem by another vendor.

So please - we need working solutions. This can be a firmware that works in modem mode, not blocking connections from the Internet to the Ethernet port. That's not asked to much, as this is kind of a basic functionality for a DSL Modem, isn't it?

Message 50 of 78
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7