Reply

Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@schumaku wrote:

@DarrenMwrote:

When the Dm200 is set into bridge mode you cannot set the settings on Dm200 if you have PPPoA or PPPoE credential settings you need input that has to be setup on router side.


Of course, that's the way it is with DSL Modems - any kind of tunnels (protocol encapsulation, related authentication) must be terminated on a router (or a computer for the sake of it). 

 


Any chance that you could explain that in user friendly terms?

 

Your account leaves me baffled. In particular, what does this mean?

 


not blocking incoming connections from the Internet to the router side in modem mode, or fail completely in modem mode with the latest update.

 

 

I assume that you are another victim of the failure to get this to work in modem-only mode with the new firmware.

 

I do know that when I use a D6400 in modem-only mode I have to use the router to do all of the local stuff. Logs, configure wifi, access control and so on.

 

The modem is just a dumb box that sits there between Internet and network. I don't expect it to do anything.

 

Is the DM200 special?

 

My beef is that I cannot get into the modem without a factory reset. But as I can't do anything if I do get in there, it is a bit academic.

 

I suspect that your issue is not the same as that from  @Automan.

 

Then again, as I said, I can't really understand what you are saying. So I may be wrong.

 

Anyway, has the person who started this discussion still got problems? The chatter seems to have gone off piste some time ago.

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 51 of 78
schumaku
Guru

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

@michaelkenward wrote:

Any chance that you could explain that in user friendly terms? Your account leaves me baffled. In particular, what does this mean?

You have already answered it below "The modem is just a dumb box that sits there between Internet and network. I don't expect it to do anything.". There is however a little bit more: The modem is the only place where oyu can see and monitor the DSL line and data quality information - thus a modem as most "others" does not allow to gain access to this information.

Most DSL connecitons make use of a L2 encapsulation, like PPPoA, PPPoE, and the legacy PPTP (some also seen on cable TV or fibre). To gain something workable, we not just need the DSL modem link up, we also need a L2 encapsulation properly configured so both end can talk.

Most and again not all require authentication. Some take it implicitly from the copper pair, others require a login. This again can't work if the encapsulation is not up.

If I'm to brief - feel fre to ask. I'm in the CPE business since these products exist. And "we" made Netgear's first router, too. 8-)

 

@michaelkenward wrote:


I do know that when I use a D6400 in modem-only mode I have to use the router to do all of the local stuff. Logs, configure wifi, access control and so on.

The part we can't log and monitor is the L0....L2 stuff the Modem is handling. The router will just see that his ie. PPPoE traffic will fail, that htis is caused by a poor cable, by poor signal levels, by interferences for some bands/carriers, ... this is the stuff I would expect to see on any DSL device from Netgear, in Modem and router mode. From A (like AVM) to Z (like ZyXEL) - all do it much better.

Sorry Netgear, in this DSL business your are not good and competitive enough at all.

 

@michaelkenward wrote:

Is the DM200 special?


Yes, for several reasons. In it's core it's a L2 "router" like all Nighthawk/Orbi/Orbi Pro systems. And as such it does break the Internet->Router traffic (as discussed and explained in several threads where users complained their port forwardings on the routers don't work. Replacing the DM200 by TP-L**** or Zy*** DSL modems does immediate fix the issue - for several users. Said that - there is kind of a L2 firewall in the play - and it's configured wrong in Modem mode.

And the last ones who have to do this are the people which have updated the DM200 to the "current" firmware - which has completely broken the Modem mode.

@michaelkenward wrote:

My beef is that I cannot get into the modem without a factory reset. But as I can't do anything if I do get in there, it is a bit academic. 

There are non-academic solutions available - the DM200 or the PR2000 are cleverly injecting a route and an IP address into the IP stack, so they can be accessed at least from some Windows systems - even if the device is in a supposedly pure modem mode. This does why ever not work on a Mac on on Linux. The only good part of the DM200. Not sure if the same is implemented on other Dxxxx routers if switched to modem mode.

 

Message 52 of 78

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode



I'm in the CPE business since these products exist. And "we" made Netgear's first router, too. 8-)

 

Perhaps that explains why it is hard for non experts to understand what you are saying. Oh, and what is the "CPE business"? (I don't do arcane abbreviations.) Was it another of your typos? Or does it mean something?

 



The part we can't log and monitor is the L0....L2 stuff the Modem is handling. The router will just see that his ie. PPPoE traffic will fail, that htis is caused by a poor cable, by poor signal levels, by interferences for some bands/carriers, ... this is the stuff I would expect to see on any DSL device from Netgear, in Modem and router mode. From A (like AVM) to Z (like ZyXEL) - all do it much better.

It seems that you are trying to tell Netgear how to design its equipment rather than contributing to the discussion of the problems that people have brought up here.

 

Interesting as that may be, can we stick to the issue raised by @Automan, or, even better, the question from @jsam that started all this?

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 53 of 78
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

CPE = Customer Premis Equipment, old telephone terminology.

D7000v2 / DGND3700v1
Message 54 of 78

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Ta. Could have been anything.

 

 

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 55 of 78
Jscott123
Initiate

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@schumakuwrote:

@DarrenMwrote:

When the Dm200 is set into bridge mode you cannot set the settings on Dm200 if you have PPPoA or PPPoE credential settings you need input that has to be setup on router side.


Of course, that's the way it is with DSL Modems - any kind of tunnels (protocol encapsulation, related authentication) must be terminated on a router (or a computer for the sake of it).  Exactly the functionality we expect of what a DSL Modem product should do. And not defaulting to a router mode, not blocking incoming connections from the Internet to the router side in modem mode, or fail completely in modem mode with the latest update. Everything reported several times - and nobody cared about fixing. As many other DM200 customers, we have replaced it by a DSL modem by another vendor.

So please - we need working solutions. This can be a firmware that works in modem mode, not blocking connections from the Internet to the Ethernet port. That's not asked to much, as this is kind of a basic functionality for a DSL Modem, isn't it?


Firmware version 1.0.0.34 allows my router to connect to the internet successfully via ADSL. Version 1.0.0.44 does not. Have not tried any others as my enthusiasm for this product has waned.

Model: DM602|ADSL Modem|EOL
Message 56 of 78
schumaku
Guru

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@michaelkenwardwrote:
It seems that you are trying to tell Netgear how to design its equipment rather than contributing to the discussion of the problems that people have brought up here.

 

Interesting as that may be, can we stick to the issue raised by @Automan, or, even better, the question from @jsam that started all this?


The only solutions are to stick with an old firmare - or change the device by a DSL Modem from other vendors if you intend to have incoming connections from the Internet -> (DM200 Modem) -> Router -> LAN.

Blame Netgear, not us.

Message 57 of 78
Kingsize07
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Hi All,

 

I hope this SOLUTION assists.

I have been having problems setting up my DM200 into modem only mode as well. I read all of the posts and combned a few steps and it now works perfectly.

Firstly setup the DM200 in router mode to connect to your service provider and confirm everything is working correctly.

Next, change the DM200 from dynamic to static ip address in the 'internet IP address' and the 'DNS Server Address'. this should save the dynamic addresses issued by the service provider.

Restart the netgear modem and confirm it has an internet connection. Do this by connecting directly to the DM200 modem with an ethernet cable and setting your computers static ip address to '192.168.5.100' subnet mask '255.255.255.0' and pointing your browser at '192.168.5.1'. You should see the GUI and confirmation the internet service is Good. If you fail at this step check all of the settings.

The next step is something I always missed. Connect to your Wifi Router GUI and enter the service providers details into the manual Internet settings. I set my Linksys to manual PPPoE with dynamic IP address and entered my 'username' and 'password'. I also had to remove the Static DNS server settings from my WiFi Router and change them to dynamic.

 

Restart the WiFi router and wait for a minute, and everything should be working.

 

Hope this assists.

 

 

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 58 of 78
schumaku
Guru

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@michaelkenward wrote:

Escalated through different channels. Let's see if that gets anywhere.


Is DM200 Firmware Version 1.0.0.52 with the "amazing" information...

 

Bug Fixes:

  • Improved usability for installation.

...the final Netgear answer to the issues the community has shown in this thread, and specifically the points listed in post 37 and 45? 

Message 59 of 78
Greeenman
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

I had considerable problems with the DM200 in modem-only mode. Used Mikrotik RB2011iL-IN for PPPOA login/MTU etc on BT ADSL2+ line. All looked good to begin with but the Hotel PDQ IP machine absolutely refused to comm to the upstream creditcard gateways.

 

Everything else worked - guest Wifi, VOIP, reception PCs.

 

I tried different MTU's, ran tests with the CC providers but no IP connection to them from the PDQ.

 

Eventually swapped out with old Technicolour modem in NAT mode and the PDQ works fine now

 

Have used the same Mikrotik std config many times, spent hours working on it.

 

Having said that, the DM200 works great on FTTC.

 

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 60 of 78
Greeenman
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Of course I really used PPPOE on the Mikrotik

Message 61 of 78
Kingsize07
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Hi Guys,

 

I need to add some further information to my previous contribution.

After successfully setting up the DM200 as a Modem I observed the following problems.

I run a Sonos One at home with Alexa installed. this controls a number of devices including Wemo Switchs, and devices connected through Hassio.

After changing the DM200 to Modem only mode I observed the following. Alexa could no longer communicate with devices. Wemo stopped communicating with phones and ipads. Alexa stopped communicating with Hassio. I ran through the troubleshooting and uninstalled Alexa and all skills and reinstalled from the beginning thinking there was another issue. Nothing worked. I couldnt even start the alexa app on the android phone while connected to the network. As soon as I disconnected the phone from the WiFi the Alexa app strated correctly.

I found a forum where the question was asked about the DM200 in modem only mode and problems with Wemo, so I decided turn the DM200 router back on and return to the previous setup.

Everything worked again. Alexa found devices and skills worked. Wemo found the switchs again and communicated with Alexa. Alexa discovered the Hassio again.

 

I would SERIOUSLY caution anyone considering using the DM200 as a Modem. There is no documentation talking about these issues with Alexa, Sonos and Wemo. I think the issue is ignored.

 

I hope my problems help others.

 

 

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 62 of 78
dubfanatica
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

in a way i'm having the same issues but mine is not accepting account and password for my internet.  it happened after an update.  is there any way to go back to the original firmware?

 

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 63 of 78
schumaku
Guru

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@dubfanatica wrote:

it happened after an update.  is there any way to go back to the original firmware? 


In subject Modem mode, the encapsulation (ie. PPPoE) and authentication happens on a router or computer connected to the DM200. Please clarify. 

 

@dubfanatica wrote:

 it happened after an update.  is there any way to go back to the original firmware? 

Older firmware is available for download from Support / DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem / Firmware & Software Downloads -> Previous Versions.

Message 64 of 78

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@dubfanatica wrote:

it happened after an update. 

 


Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

 

There is a manual for the DM200 somewhere at the end of this link:

 

>>> DM200 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

 

See page 77.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 65 of 78
Greeenman
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

I used Mikrotik PPPOE client with DM200 set in modem only mode. So yes all the PPPOE and above protocols done in the Mikrotik V6.40.1

Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 66 of 78
dennis5pia
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@DarrenM wrote:

When the Dm200 is set into bridge mode you cannot set the settings on Dm200 if you have PPPoA or PPPoE credential settings you need input that has to be setup on router side.

 

DarrenM

 

 


 

No router has PPPoA connection type. this modem do not support PPPoa to PPPoE bridging. So if your ISP is PPPoA, you cant use the modem in bridge mode because the router/pc PPPoE connection wont work. The Draytek Vigor 110, 120 and 130 can do PPPoA to PPPoE, but not the Netger DM200 which neither have DDNS support.

Message 67 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

Apparently the issues with this and other DSL Modems are so bad that BestBuy has stopped selling DSL modems all together.  
I purchased my DM200 at BestBuy with a 2 year geeksquas protection plan. They told me when I was there yesterday that the only resolution I have is to return the modem and get my money back for the modem. They will no longer replace them.

My modem is still working in bridged mode with my Asus Router handling the connection protocol and access information to work with my ISP, Centurylink.  BUT, if this modem were to stop working for whatever reason then my only recourse is to get a Centurylink modem.

I am not sure what I posted before in this thread but the DM200 modem I have does work in bridge mode.  You have to setup the pass through in the modem settings BEFORE setting the bridge feature on. Not sure anymore what it is called.  Then you lose all ability to access the modem's configuration screen, the modem essentially becomes a dumb access point.  Then you connect your router to it and handle all the access and various settings via your routers configuration settings.  The modem at this point just passes everything through to the router.

I still really do not understand what people are talking about with not being able to access their hardware and VPN's or whatever via the internet.
This exact setup I have now has been used to stream movies through the internet to a smart phone without any issues, the movies are located on a local hard drive connected to a windows computer with the networking configured correctly. A password is requred to access the network but once in there is full access to files and programs remotely.

If that is NOT what everyone is talking about being able to remote in to the network remotely and control and get access to software, files then I don't get it I guess.  This exact modem, with Asus RT-AC1900P and Windows Operating System allows for anything like what I described. VPN, Port Forwading, Remote Access to Network and hardware attached..   No problems at all.

The modem itself when set to bridged mode becomes a dump access point but you need to activate pass through in the settings of the modem before you turn that on so everything passes through to the router. Without that I think there is stuff being blocked by the modem. Then in the router you have to enable or disable the feature that tells it that pass through is being handled by the modem. Then, do whatever you want with traffic and port forward to specific devices etc...  Done.

It does work as described above. IF that is not what you alla re talking about then ignore my post.  DM200 works well, the one i have has been in operation 24 hours a day for over a year without any problems. Never accessed the Configuration for it since I configured as described above so unless the updates to firmware were automatic it is on the original firmware that came with the mdoem.  




Model: DM200 – Broadband High-Speed DSL Modem
Message 68 of 78
dennis5pia
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@JakeD wrote:

Apparently the issues with this and other DSL Modems are so bad that BestBuy has stopped selling DSL modems all together.  
I purchased my DM200 at BestBuy with a 2 year geeksquas protection plan. They told me when I was there yesterday that the only resolution I have is to return the modem and get my money back for the modem. They will no longer replace them.

My modem is still working in bridged mode with my Asus Router handling the connection protocol and access information to work with my ISP, Centurylink.  BUT, if this modem were to stop working for whatever reason then my only recourse is to get a Centurylink modem.

I am not sure what I posted before in this thread but the DM200 modem I have does work in bridge mode.  You have to setup the pass through in the modem settings BEFORE setting the bridge feature on. Not sure anymore what it is called.  Then you lose all ability to access the modem's configuration screen, the modem essentially becomes a dumb access point.  Then you connect your router to it and handle all the access and various settings via your routers configuration settings.  The modem at this point just passes everything through to the router.

I still really do not understand what people are talking about with not being able to access their hardware and VPN's or whatever via the internet.
This exact setup I have now has been used to stream movies through the internet to a smart phone without any issues, the movies are located on a local hard drive connected to a windows computer with the networking configured correctly. A password is requred to access the network but once in there is full access to files and programs remotely.

If that is NOT what everyone is talking about being able to remote in to the network remotely and control and get access to software, files then I don't get it I guess.  This exact modem, with Asus RT-AC1900P and Windows Operating System allows for anything like what I described. VPN, Port Forwading, Remote Access to Network and hardware attached..   No problems at all.

The modem itself when set to bridged mode becomes a dump access point but you need to activate pass through in the settings of the modem before you turn that on so everything passes through to the router. Without that I think there is stuff being blocked by the modem. Then in the router you have to enable or disable the feature that tells it that pass through is being handled by the modem. Then, do whatever you want with traffic and port forward to specific devices etc...  Done.

It does work as described above. IF that is not what you alla re talking about then ignore my post.  DM200 works well, the one i have has been in operation 24 hours a day for over a year without any problems. Never accessed the Configuration for it since I configured as described above so unless the updates to firmware were automatic it is on the original firmware that came with the mdoem.  



Is your ISP PPPoA or PPPoE? 


 

Message 69 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

I do not remember but looking in the Router settings it is set to PPPOE with the password and username fields filled in.

PPPOA then is the problem?    I do not know what the difference is, it has been over a year since I configured the modem and router.

Message 70 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

I notice there is a MANUAL option for setting things manually if it does not fit into the templates in the drop down.  My router is an Asus RT version so other brands may be different.

Message 71 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

The thing is though, it is my Router that is handling all the PPPOE / PPPOA connection stuff NOT the modem. The DM200 is just a dumb access point, your router is what is controling the connection stuff for the ISP not the modem in bridge mode.  The modem takes what it is being sent from the router to talk to the ISP and handle the hand shake stuff but the router is what tells the modem what settings such as user & password, PPPOE . PPPOA.. etc..    None of that is in my modem at all.

Message 72 of 78
dennis5pia
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@JakeD wrote:

I do not remember but looking in the Router settings it is set to PPPOE with the password and username fields filled in.

PPPOA then is the problem?    I do not know what the difference is, it has been over a year since I configured the modem and router.

 

Is not in the router but in the DSL modem, that you can see if your DSL connection is PPPoA or PPPoE. I guess it's PPPoE, since most DSL modem can't bridge PPPoA to PPPoE.


 

Message 73 of 78
dennis5pia
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode


@JakeD wrote:

The thing is though, it is my Router that is handling all the PPPOE / PPPOA connection stuff NOT the modem. The DM200 is just a dumb access point, your router is what is controling the connection stuff for the ISP not the modem in bridge mode.  The modem takes what it is being sent from the router to talk to the ISP and handle the hand shake stuff but the router is what tells the modem what settings such as user & password, PPPOE . PPPOA.. etc..    None of that is in my modem at all.


Routers can't handle PPPoA. Only DSL modems can. Your router handle the authentication  but the modem is the connection to your ISP

Message 74 of 78
JakeD
Aspirant

Re: Problems using DM200 in modem only mode

I understand what you are saying.  

I did not set anything up in the modem for this. What I did was turned on the pass through option then turned on bridge mode. At this point you MUST use a router because directly connecting a computer via ethernet to the modem nothing will work for internet access.

Connecting the router to the modem and then setting PPPOE in this case with username and password I then am able to access the internet.
Change the username and no internet. Change the access type and no internet.   These setting are handled entirely by my router.   None of this information is in the modem.

That is all I can say. I did not put any access information in or set t what type of connection the ISP has within the modem at all.  That is entirely 100% in my router's configuration settings.  Change it there and I no longer get access to the internet.

Message 75 of 78
Discussion stats
Announcements