Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with D7800 Modem / Router

esoxecosse
Aspirant

Hi Burt, is that D7800-V1.0.1.44 your on..? that is interesting, I had that one on and it dropped after three days + and wouldn't reconnect without a power down.

Cheers

Message 26 of 74
burt35
Aspirant

1.0.1.42 is the only one i can get and in the internet setup i have connection mode to "always on" where did you get 1.0.1.44

Message 27 of 74
burt35
Aspirant

oh i see you got it from netgear download page i just check for updates via the router screen

Message 28 of 74

@burt35 wrote:

...i just check for updates via the router screen

Not a reliable source of knowledge.

That page also has earlier versions that you can play around with.

Some people get twitchy about missing out on security updates. But some of those updates are to counter rare laboratory created holes that no one has seen in the wild. Certainly not in the circumstances that  most people experience. So you have to balance your fear of bugs against the grief caused by a flaky connection.

If you are on an ISP that isn't famous in Netgear country, it might be worth sniffing around in the ISP's support zone for tips. For example, the BT community has plenty of people who think that the Homehub is the devil's plaything and who will go to any lengths possible to ditch it for a grown up modem.

By the way, don't expect any Netgear modem to support BT's implementation of IPv6. I have yet to see any circumstances where this matters, but I know that it exercises some people.

Message 29 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

@ageinghack:  Yes, my D7800 connection mode is set to "Always On" (that's the default).

@esoxecosse:  No, I haven't had a chance to try out previous firmware versions yet to see if the problem has always existed (or, more truthfully, the chance and the inclination have not occured simultaneously).  I might have some time after New Year.

@burt35:  It's interesting that you see your D7800 reconnect after about a minute.  If I pull the cable out of mine and then reinsert it the modem does not reconnect to the Internet.  I have to either power cycle or reboot via the web admin interface (from a LAN device, obviously).  It will never automatically reconnect by itself.  Nor will it reconnect if I go the "Connection Status" page and click the "Connect" button (it thinks for a minute but then remains disconnected).  The "Disconnect" button on that page always does work and clicking it will permanently lose the Internet until I power cycle or reboot.

I have now lost my Internet connection without fail on every 5th day from August 12th to December 25th, always between 23:32 and 23:54, and never at any other times.  It was doing it on this schedule for at least a month before then but I didn't make a note of the exact times.  The one exception was the week the UK changed from British summer time to GMT when the Internet connection was dropped 30 minutes earlier than usual (at 23:08).  The usual timing was resumed the following week (between 23:30 and 23:59).  The problem seems to be that the D7800 cannot recover by itself if its Internet line is disturbed and it requires a reboot.  It's a firmware problem, and a very annoying one.

I still plan to go back through older firmwares to see if I can identify one that doesn't have this problem (just don't hold your breath waiting).  This is really only of academic interest, though: there have been many bug fixes and security patches and you really wouldn't want to be connected to the Internet with an ancient version of firmware in your modem/router.

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 30 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

My posts seem to keep disappearing when I edit them to fix typos.  Posting again (and not going to fix any typos).  Hopefully this won't appear multiple times and make me look like a total muppet...

@ageinghack:  Yes, my D7800 connection mode is set to "Always On" (that's the default).

@esoxecosse:  No, I haven't had a chance to try out previous firmware versions yet to see if the problem has always existed (or, more truthfully, the chance and the inclination have not occured simultaneously).  I might have some time after New Year.  It's really just of academic interest, though: there have been so many bug fixes and security patches that it's probably not a good idea to be connected to the Internet via a modem/router with ancient firmware.

@burt35:  It's interesting that you see your D7800 reconnect after about a minute.  If I pull the cable out of mine and then reinsert it the modem does not automatically reconnect to the Internet.  It will never reconnect by itself.  I have to either power cycle or reboot via the web interface (from device on the LAN).  Nor will it reconnect if I go the "Connection Status" page and click the "Connect" button (it thinks for a minute but then remains disconnected).  Interestingly, the "Disconnect" button on that page always does work (and clicking it will permanently drop the Intenet connection until a reboot or power cycle).

My D7800 has dropped the Internet connection without fail every 5th day from August 12th 2018 to December 25th, between 23:30 and 23:59.  I'm sure it was doing it on this schedule for at least a month before then but I hadn't made a note of the exact time of every disconnection.  The one exception was the week after the UK switched from British Summer Time to GMT in mid November when the Internet connection was dropped at 23:08 (about half an hour early).  The following week normal service was resumed, i.e. disconnections between 23:30 and 23:59.  Once disconnected my modem will never reconnect on its own.  It always requires a reboot via the admin web interface (from a LAN computer) or a power cycle.  Since both of these remedies require me to be at home I frequently lose access to my home network when I'm away, which is very annoying.

It looks to me like Zen Internet (or BT) do some housekeeping or a reset on my line every five days which results in a brief interruption of service.  This shouldn't be much of problem because the D7800 ought to immediately reconnect resulting in no more than a minute or two of downtime.  Unfortunately, the D7800 appears to be either unwilling or unable to reconnect after a loss of service and a reboot is always required (with 1.0.1.42 and 1.0.1.44 firmware, anyway - I have not tested other versions yet).

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 31 of 74
Dorseteer
Aspirant

Posted quite early on in this thread, thought to report back.

After several months of trying difference remedies suggested on various forums I decided to take more drastic action after reading this on an amazon review.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/R5HILTNXTTOOR/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01G...

Things have improved since I bought the vigor 130 modem and bypassed the D7800 modem. Connection is far more reliable, will stay up for days now. Vigor modem is rock solid, pretty much the best there is according to many others.

While the modem soldiers on however, the router remains unreliable. It still locks up and does not recover itself. I've noted that it struggles with streaming media like Netflix via Fire Stick connection. There was some setting (VLAN/Bridge ?) in the router that was supposed to be for video media but every time I set it, the router did not allow any traffic through.

Sorry not the most positive of updates but hope it helps.

Message 32 of 74
esoxecosse
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies gents/ladies

@moopig  my problems are near identical to yours, thanks for your PM, I have been reading through some old posts regarding the issue and from what I beleive 1.0.1.22 was the last firmware that didn't have BT connection problems, this seems to be backed up by a Netgear rep posting on the forum that they were aware of the BT issue and were offering to send a modified beta fimware to the poster to cure the problem, If I can find the post again I'll put a link to it but the lady's name was Diane I think but she's not logged in for a very long time so won't be of much help I think, this was October 2017 as well so long ago.

@michaelkenward  I see your using a DM200 modem with an R7800 Michael, are you on a BT FTTC connection as well..? Is the DM200 support any better, is there likely to be IPv6 support for it..? how stable is your connection..? Is it worth buying a DM200 and can the connection stats be seen from the router sofware or is there another option ?

Cheers

MarkC

Message 33 of 74

@esoxecosse wrote:

@michaelkenward  I see your using a DM200 modem with an R7800 Michael, are you on a BT FTTC connection as well..?

Yes.

Is the DM200 support any better,

What support do you have in mind?

is there likely to be IPv6 support for it..?

Probably not. But I have yet to see evidence that it is useful for my needs.

how stable is your connection..?

Solid. Goes weeks without falling over. Usually when BT throws a wobbly.

Speedtests, wired, run in at around 65 Mbps.

Is it worth buying a DM200 and can the connection stats be seen from the router sofware or is there another option ?

With difficulty. But I'm not one of those people who digs up plants to look at their roots. Unless I am troubleshooting. I have no need to constantly monitor a modem's statistics. If it works it works.

Message 34 of 74
esoxecosse
Aspirant

@moopig

@burt35

Reverted back to the old V1.0.1.22 fimware, I had previously been testing MTU size and had set mine to 1492 not 1500 as suggested, when I checked on this firmware version the max aloud is 1492.

I haven't had a disconnect yet to see whether the modem will reconnect without a reboot, I was speaking to my ISP and they did comment that this was the most stable connection I have had for a while, I don't like messing around too much as the DLM on the line will start slowing my connection down.

Might be worth a try for you @moopig.   see attached image.

Cheers

Message 35 of 74
burt35
Aspirant

might try this myself still disconnecting every day how long has the connection been up?
Message 36 of 74
esoxecosse
Aspirant

I've uploaded an image mate but it's 9days and 21hrs and counting.

Cheers

Message 37 of 74
burt35
Aspirant

great stuff I've just downgraded my firmware let's see what happens.
Message 38 of 74
burt35
Aspirant

well my internet certainly is more stable lasts about 4 days before it cuts out but thats an improvement on every day!

Message 39 of 74
Mikeyte
Aspirant

I to have had the same problem with FW 1.42 and 1.44 with the DSL light turning red and no internet connection until power recycle. To resolve the problem i have down graded to FW 1.34, now i am left with ACK and RST scan attacks which causes my radio to loose receiption for a few secs BUT i don't need to re-boot the router.

Message 40 of 74

@Mikeyte wrote:

I to have had the same problem with FW 1.42 and 1.44 with the DSL light turning red and no internet connection until power recycle.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash? You don't say.

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Message 41 of 74
Mikeyte
Aspirant

Yes I used a paper clip in the hole at the back of the router and set the router up with new settings. When I updated to FW1. 44 factory reset it twice to make sure all old data was removed. After updating to FW 1.44 I lost Internet connection after a few minutes. To re-gain access to the Internet I had to recycle the power to router.
I'm am now back to FW 1.34 and all is well apart from the Dos attacks.
Message 42 of 74

@Mikeyte wrote:
After updating to FW 1.44 I lost Internet connection after a few minutes.

Anything else? Did the modem's logs say why it lost the connection?

Did that happen more than once?

After you wipe out the modem's settings you have to reconfigure the thing all over again, filling in the ISP login details and waiting for the modem/router to negotiate a connection from scratch.

I, too, am often surprised at how long these things take to boot!

That was one reason why I ditched the D6400 modem/router I had in modem-only mode for a DM200. The D6400 boot was so slow that it got there after my router wanted an internet connection.

Message 43 of 74
Mikeyte
Aspirant

The message was something like modem not connected to ISP. After originally updating from FW 1.42 to 1.44 it disconnected from the Internet several times a day for 4 days. I googled the problem and was advised to revert to a FW that worked. Unfortunately I hade only just received the router and had not tried the software that it came with. So I reverted to FW 1.42 and had the same problem so I tried FW 1.34 and now all is fine with the Internet connect but suffering from Dos attacks which causes the router speed to drop off significantly. I also loose my BT or Internet radio several times a day. I don't need to do anything to the router as the signal is back after about 20 secs max. As I say this happens several times a day but mainly between 21:30 and 23:00 every night
Message 44 of 74

@Mikeyte wrote:
The message was something like modem not connected to ISP.

Without knowing the exact message, when it appeared, and other things like what else you have on your network, that does sound like an ISP configuration and connection issue.

Message 45 of 74
Mikeyte
Aspirant

True, but only with FW1. 42 & 1.44. I am not having problems with connections using FW 1.34. So I will wait for the next FW update.
Message 46 of 74
esoxecosse
Aspirant

@Mikeyte

Your right about the firmwares mate, I have older one's on my drive if you want to try those, the same old stuff keeps being repeated on multiple threads by the same people and the bottom line is the firmwares just plain and simple are not very good, you can reset it as many times as you like and it still won't work properly, it might be worth just using the D7800 as a router and getting a modem like the HG 612 or Vigor 130.? If your on BT the HG 612 can be had for £20 ish from evilbay.

Cheers

Message 47 of 74

@esoxecosse wrote:

...it might be worth just using the D7800 as a router and getting a modem like the HG 612 or Vigor 130.?

I also prefer standalone modems and routers.

I use a Netgear DM200, available for around £33. Works fine on BT.

Bit dearer than some, but I like to stick with one make where possible. They may work together better than trying to figure out how different graphical user interfaces work.

Just one proviso, check that the D7800 is easily put into router only mode. With luck it is simply a case of plugging the new modem into the Internet port on the back of the D7800.

Just in case you missed it, there is a support for the D7800, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 48 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

There's new 1.0.1.47 firmware available.  It's not on the firmware download link yet (that still shows 1.0.1.44) but I got it via the firmware update check on the D7800 admin interface.  There is a link to it at the top of the D7800 support page on the Netgear web site under the list of "Top Support Issues", though.  The release notes that come with the download from the web site just say "Fixed security issues" but the notes that appeared in the D7800 admin interface were a bit more extensive and mentioned fixing problems with "BT" (I hope that's "British Telecom", who provide Zen Internet's lines).  Unfortunately it didn't occur to me to make a note of the release notes when my D7800 offered me the firmware update and I can't remember the details.  Maybe this firmware will be the one to fix the problem!

My disconnections have changed schedule.  They're still on the same five day cycle but a couple of weeks ago the disconnection time window changed from 23:30-23:59 to 23:00-23:30.

Message 49 of 74

@moopig wrote:

The release notes that come with the download from the web site just say "Fixed security issues"

The release notes from Netgear are famously hopeless.

There are good reasons for not explaining what those security fixes are – that is useful information for people who want to do naughty things – but keeping quiet about stuff that mends the router or adds new features does no one any favours.

Message 50 of 74
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 73 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7