Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Problems with D7800 Modem / Router

moopig
Apprentice

Firmware 1.0.1.47 hasn't fixed my problem.  Tonight's disconnection from the Internet arrived right on schedule.

😞

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 51 of 74

@moopig wrote:

Firmware 1.0.1.47 hasn't fixed my problem.  Tonight's disconnection from the Internet arrived right on schedule.

😞

It is hard to see how anything in the modem/router can disconnect it from the internet, especially a schedule. A more logical explanation is that something in the local environment is responsible. If it was something that the hardware initiated it might show up in the logs.

Message 52 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

@michaelkenward wrote:

@moopig wrote:

😞

It is hard to see how anything in the modem/router can disconnect it from the internet, especially a schedule. A more logical explanation is that something in the local environment is responsible. If it was something that the hardware initiated it might show up in the logs.

It isn't the router that's disconnecting itself from the Internet.  It seems that its service is being briefly interrupted or reset at the same time of day (+/-15 minutes) on every 5th day, probably when my ISP or their infrastructure provider do some routine maintenance.  The problem is that after this interruption the D7800 will never recover and reconnect by itself.  It always needs to be rebooted or power cycled which I can't do unless I'm at home.

You can show there's a problem with the D7800 by unplugging the phone line and then immediately plugging it back in.  Straight away the connection status will change to "Disconnected" and the WAN IP address will go to 0.0.0.0, and the log shows "[Internet disconnected]" and the date and time of the disconnection.  You can wait as long as you like but the Internet remains stubbornly disconnected.  Now reboot the modem.  It takes about two minutes to restart and as soon as it is done the Internet is back.  Conclusion: the D7800 has trouble recovering from disturbances to its Internet connection (or the phone company's hardware does).

The problem has existed in firmware 1.0.1.42, 1.0.1.44 and 1.0.1.47 since at least July 2018.  It's probably even older than this but I didn't notice the disconnections were on a five day cycle until then.  My D7800 hasn't missed a single one since I noticed the pattern eight months ago and it never disconnects at any other times.

[edit] Just a reminder that my ISP is Zen Internet (UK).  They use BT's phone lines.  It would be interesting to know if anyone else has a similar problem with periodic Internet disconnections with Zen or any other ISP.

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 53 of 74
80njc80
Apprentice

Has your service provider provided a responce?  They can track faults in the line or at the very least identify the dropout on their end.

Message 54 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

It's not a line fault.  The disconnections occur at the same time of day on every fifth day, and never at any other time.  I sync at the maximmum speed for the line (80Mbps downlink / 20Mbps uplink) and I have a fast and reliable Internet service (except on every 5th day).

I haven't been in touch with Zen yet.  Somewhere, in a box in a back room, buried under piles of junk, I still have the old basic modem that they gave me when I signed up with them.  I'll dig it out one day and see if it has the same problem.  Until I've done that there's probably no point in contacting them.  The standard ISP response is usually, "We don't support other modems. Does the one we supplied you with have a problem?"  It would also be interesting to go back through some old D7800 firmware to see if this issue has always existed.

I have only come across one other post on the Internet about the D7800 disconnecting from the Internet like clockwork and that wasn't from the UK.  It's probably a weird compatibility issue between certain ISPs' particular configurations and a quirk of the D7800's firmware.  Zen use BT's lines, but since BT is one of the biggest providers (probably the biggest) of Internet connections in the UK and nobody else seems to have this problem I'm guessing the problem is more likely to be with Zen than BT.

Message 55 of 74
80njc80
Apprentice

I think you hit the nail on the head.  Try another modem/router to eliminate another unknown then work with the information learnt.  It seems like a viable option at this stage...  until then it's all speculation.

Message 56 of 74
PLASMAMAN
Tutor

moopig

Refreshing to finally find someone with similar D7800 problems to mine. I am in UK and have BT internet using FTC.

Never used the HomeHub and always used Netgear modem/routers.

For about 2 1/2 years I have used the X4S D7800. Currently on FW 1.0.1.44

My problem is that at a few seconds after midnight on the 1st day of every month the ADSL connection drops and requires manual reboot to re-establish the connection. Sometimes I have to reboot 4 or 5 times to get the connection to 'stick'. Apart from these dropouts the connection is stable.

My conclusion is that because of the frequency/regularity of this behaviour it is initiated by some automated process, which must either be somewhere between the exchange and the D7800, or by the router firmware.

I have raised this on BT forums and no-one has any support for the view that this is a BT initiated automated 'flushing' service, so comes back to a firmware related issue. Obviously there is nothing in the router firmware visible in the user console that relates to this behaviour.

This routine behaviour has been going on since I first started logging it in late 2016, and is unaffected by every FW upgrade I have done.

So whilst you are on a 5 day cycle, I am on a calendar month cycle so its less intrusive, but its still a complete PIA knowing that on 1st of each month I will sit down in front of my Mac in the morning and have to go through the same routine each time re-establishing the connection.

1. Why does this happen?

2. Why doesn't the router re-establish the connection automatically?

BTW I haven't tried your manual test of point 2 (remove ADSL plug and reinsert) but will do out of curiosity.

Message 57 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

@PLASMAMAN 

I'm glad there's someone here now who doesn't think I'm nuts!

When I first noticed my disconnection occurred within the same half hour time window on every 5th day I searched the web for other people having a similar problem with the D7800.  I came across one post from Australia and another from the UK (possibly you?) which seemed to describe the same regular disconnection problem with an approximately monthly time interval.  I had another look last night and found two other interesting bits of information.

One was a post in a slightly more technical forum which mentioned that some cabinets periodically reset the connection on the consumer's line.  Unfortunately I can't find that forum post again now.

The other was a post in a BT forum from 2015 which described late night disconnections with a 5-day cycle - exactly the same problem that I have with Zen.

<https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Regular-disconnection-can-set-watch-by-it/td-p/152377...>

My answers to your questions are:

Q1: Why does this happen?  A: The line is being periodically reset by the network.

Q2: Why doesn't the D7800 re-establish the connection automatically?  A: Its firmware has a longstanding bug or design flaw which causes it to just sit helplessly forever when it loses the connection to the network, requiring a reboot to recover.

I am sure other models of modem are also dropping the connection but they immediately try to reconnect a few seconds later.  Most people probably never notice, or if they do they think it's just one of those glitches that you get on the Internet from time to time.  It's also possible that the periodic line reset is unique to a particular model of cabinet and it's a rare occurrence.

Message 58 of 74
esoxecosse
Aspirant

@moopig  Give the older V1.0.1.22 fimware a go mate, It can't do any harm, set the MTU to 1492 as well, I can email you the file if you like.

Cheers

MarkC

Message 59 of 74
PLASMAMAN
Tutor

@moopig 

We're on the same page!

Your comment about some BT cainets got me thinking and I researched DLM and found this piece:

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/DLM.htm

and I do wonder whether automated scheduled DLM is going on at my exchange/connected cabinet?????

If it is it might also explain why, when I reboot the D7800 after a 'forced' disconnection each month, I have to do this several times before the connection will 'stick'. The first two or three (sometimes 4 or 5) times it connects on reboot then drops a few minutes later......

Message 60 of 74

@esoxecosse wrote:

I can email you the file if you like.

All old firmware sits on Netgear's servers in perpetuity – except when it is so bad that it gets pulled – so no need to rely on possibly dodgy second hand copies.

There is a support for the D7800, including a manual and old firmware, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Release notes explain how to install it.

Message 61 of 74
esoxecosse
Aspirant

The usual non helpful drivel as a response I see Michael, full of wind and p*** is a saying up hear in Scotland and suits you perfectly, do you ever actually help anybody or do you just cut and paste rubbish from old posts to give youself a feeling of worth..?

Message 62 of 74

NETGEAR-Community-Terms-Of-Service

Behave with civility and mutual respect. Flaming or name calling will not be tolerated.

Message 63 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

It's fixed!!!  Well, sort of.  I am running on old firmware v1.0.1.44 and my modem automatically reconnected after last night's scheduled disconnection.  I'm not sure that it's fixed on the latest firmware (v1.0.1.47).

@esoxecosse Thanks for the suggestion to try v1.0.1.22.  It turned out not to be the fix but it put me on the track to getting my D7800 modem working properly.  I had been planning for a long time to try going back though old firmware versions to see if there was one where this failure to reconnect after a disconnection was introduced.  It's a tedious job so I had put it off for months.  Your hint that v1.0.1.22 might be good was the inspiration I needed to get going.

I had been seeing my modem regularly disconnect from the Internet on every 5th day in the hour before midnight since at least July 2018, and possibly since long before this (I only noticed the 5 day cycle in July).  I had seen this happen with firmware versions 1.0.1.42, 1.0.1.44 and 1.0.1.47.  Doing a full reset (with the button on the back of the unit) after a firmware update didn't help.  My diagnosis was that the cabinet was resetting the line and the modem was failing to automatically reconnect, requiring a reboot or power cycling in order to recover.  This theory was backed up by the fact that pulling the ADSL cable out of the back for a few seconds and then putting it back in left me permanently disconnected from the Internet until a reboot.  Also, hitting the "Connect" button in the Connection Status pop-up window failed to reconnect, also requiring a reboot, although its "Disconnect" button worked flawlessly.

I tried this experiment...

1.  Install old firmware (starting with v1.0.1.22).

2.  Do the minimum configuration to get online with Zen Internet (using the D7800's setup wizard with "BT" settings).

3.  See if the unit reconnects within 3 minutes after the ADSL cable is removed and reinserted (always failed before).

4.  See if hitting the Connection Status pop-up window's "Disconnect" then "Connect" buttons reconnects within 3 minutes (always failed before).

5.  Do a full reset (hold the reset button on the back of the unit in for 5 seconds).

6.  Repeat step 2 (get online).

7.  Repeat step 3 (test).

8.  Repeat step 4 (test).

[edit:  There might be no step 2.  I can't remember now whether I actually had to setup the modem again to get online after each firmware update.  There is definitely a step 6, though.]

Previously this always failed.  Here's what I found when I went back to old firmware, starting with v1.0.1.22.

v1.0.1.22  -->  Tests 3, 4, 7 & 8 pass.

OK, it looks like we're onto something...

v1.0.1.47  -->  D7800 won't let me jump straight from firmware 1.0.1.22 to 1.0.1.47.

v1.0.1.34  -->  Tests 3, 4, 7 & 8 pass.

v1.0.1.42  -->  Tests 3, 4, 7 & 8 pass.

v1.0.1.44  -->  Tests 3, 4, 7 & 8 pass.

v1.0.1.47  -->  Tests 3 & 7 pass.  The "Connect" function always fails.

v1.0.1.44  -->  Tests 3, 4, 7 & 8 pass.  Left this version in and set up the modem with my usual configuration.

This is weird!  Versions 1.0.1.42, 1.0.1.44 and 1.0.1.47 definitely didn't work properly before.  Maybe before I just hadn't been waiting long enough to see if it reconnected?  I'm a pretty patient guy so it seems unlikely I hadn't waited 3 minutes, but as I hadn't put a stopwatch on it there was that possibility.  Firmware v1.0.1.44 looked good so I left that in and set it up in my usual way.  For good measure I also ensured the MTU was set to 1492 (I'm not sure if that was necessary).

Previously on every 5th day I would see something like...

[Internet disconnected] Thursday, February 28, 2019 23:26:40

...in the log, and then after that only LAN activity (no Internet, because that always remained disconnected until a modem reboot).  Last night I saw...

[Internet disconnected] Tuesday, March 05, 2019 23:08:56
[Internet connected] IP address: xx.xx.xx.xx Tuesday, March 05, 2019 23:09:40

The modem was disconnected right on schedule but then automatically reconnected within a couple of minutes, just as it should!  The problem seems to have gone away.  What did I do to fix it?  I don't know.  It wasn't the firmware version because this one was bad before.  It wasn't the reset after the firmware update because I'd already tried that.  All I can say is that something I did while messing around with different firmware versions appears to have cleared the fault.

I'll do a power cycle and leave v1.0.1.44 in for a few weeks to see it stays good.  Then I'll move on to v1.0.1.47 to see if that also works.  From my tests it looks like v1.0.1.47 might have some sort of problem connecting, but since the other firmware versions had also had such problems and they just went away it's possible that it might actually be OK if I try it again.

The release notes the D7800 shows when updating from v1.0.1.44 to v1.0.1.47 are:

Current Version: V1.0.1.44
New Version: V1.0.1.47

Release Notes:
[Bug Fix] Remove Airtime Fairness. For if enable ATF, 2.4G performance drop with Intel 6300.
[Bug Fix] Revert fixing target assert patch. For this patch may cause Home IOT issue.
[Bug Fix] Add US region for 5G new power table, NA region still use old power table.
[Bug Fix] Fix BT IPTV block issue after about 1 hour.
[Bug Fix] Let UK/Plusnet IPTV use same settings with UK/BT.
[Bug Fix] Enable multicast to unicast in WiFi driver instead of kernel for fix UK/TalkTalk IPTV freezing issue.

[Bug Fix] Fixed security issues.

I hope this helps those who have a similar problem with their D7800 modem going offline and staying offline on a regular schedule.  I'll report back in few weeks to let you know if my modem has stayed fixed.

Good luck everyone.

🙂

Message 64 of 74
esoxecosse
Aspirant

@moopig Glad you found a fix mate, I think the standard MTU size on the newer firmwares is 1500, please correct me somone if I'm wrong, but flashing the older firmware back to v1.0.1.22 changes the default setting back to a more traditional 1492, this may be what the older BT exchanges prefer..? I have run MTU tests and 1492 is indeed the optimum on my line, 1500 gives packet loss.

I'll wait and see how it goes for you and maybe try v1.0.1.44 myself.

Needless to say I had went through the whole reset procedure when updating the firmware previously to no avail, so just to make that clear before somone comes on and suggests I made a dodgy effort at it and didn't go through the reset procedure, good luck @moopig 

Message 65 of 74
PLASMAMAN
Tutor

@moopig 

Thanks for the inspiration to think about this more and spend some time on addressing it.

So, there are really 2 issues. First the disconnections that occur at the percisely the same time of day (monthly in my case, and every 5 days in yours). Second the failure of the D7800 to reconnect itself after the ADSL signal was dropped.

Second problem first......I actually have 2 D7800's - one is live and I keep the other in its box, fully configured with the same settings as a back up. I disconnected the live one and connected up the backup running 1.0.1.44. Powered up and it connected OK. Pulled the ADSL cable and reinserted. It did not auto reconnect. So then installed 1.0.1.22. Connected OK. Pulled the ADSL cable and reinserted. It did not auto reconnect. Rebooted. Then tried the Disconnect and Connect routine from the Router status window. Again did not reconnect.

OK - now did a full factory reset, ran the connection wizard and connected. Left 1.0.1.22 in place. Then pulled the ADSL cable and reinserted - BINGO - auto reconnect worked after around 60 seconds. Tried the Disconnect and Connect routine from the Router status window - BINGO -auto reconnect worked fine. Upgraded FW to .44, and again all good. Then upgraded FW to .47 and still all good.

Disconnected the back up router and hooked up the live one (running .44) Did the ADSL cable pull and the Disconnect/Connect tests - both failed and no auto reconnection. Did full factory reset, ran connection wizard and connected. Now both tests passed. Upgraded FW to .47 and reran 2 tests - both tests passed.

So, auto reconnection not solved by FW downgrade or upgrade. It was solved by hard reset.........

Back to first issue - why is the signal dropping? Before I did all the stuff above I was poking around in admin console and found something called Traffic Meter, and saw that (a) it was turned on and (b) there is a scheduler in there that runs a Traffic Meter reset at 00:00:00 on the fisrt day of every month. What a coincidence as that is precisely when the disconnect happens!  So I unchecked the Traffic Meter option to switch it off, hit Apply and guess what? The ADSL signal dropped. 

Obviously I've left it turned off (I have no interest on a regular basis of monitoring traffic) and await 00:00:00 on 1st April with interest!

Message 66 of 74

@PLASMAMAN wrote:

Back to first issue - why is the signal dropping? Before I did all the stuff above I was poking around in admin console and found something called Traffic Meter, and saw that (a) it was turned on and (b) there is a scheduler in there that runs a Traffic Meter reset at 00:00:00 on the fisrt day of every month. What a coincidence as that is precisely when the disconnect happens!  So I unchecked the Traffic Meter option to switch it off, hit Apply and guess what? The ADSL signal dropped. 

Obviously I've left it turned off (I have no interest on a regular basis of monitoring traffic) and await 00:00:00 on 1st April with interest!

Wow! Serious bit of research and an interesting discovery.

You could try another experiment to cut the suspense until 1 April. (An auspicious date.)

Turn the meter back on and set it to start tomorrow. If that is possible, of course.

Message 67 of 74
PLASMAMAN
Tutor

1st April arrived and as usual the ADSL signal dropped at a few seconds after midnight as it has done for the last 2 years.

BUT following the factory reset I did during March the router automatically reconnected immediately.

So auto reconnect is definately resolved by hard rteset and not FW update.

But I'm still left with the mystery of what schedule (and where instigated) causes the disconnection.

Message 68 of 74
burt35
Aspirant

ive give up using mine as a modem router it is now in router only mode bridged with bt modem which rarely disconnects. the netgear still disconnects every day 

Message 69 of 74

@burt35 wrote:

ive give up using mine as a modem router it is now in router only mode bridged with bt modem which rarely disconnects. the netgear still disconnects every day 

Which BT modem do you have?

My old HH4 and HH5s do not allow a simple "modem only" mode – a common complaint on the BT User forum.

Message 70 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

My regular disconnections from the Internet have continued but now the D7800 is always reconnnecting in less than two minutes.  The only way I know it's happened is by checking the router's logs.  I haven't had to reboot the modem for a month.  So firmware 1.0.1.44 is definitely good now, although it used to be definitely bad before! 

I think it might be something to do with the reset after a firmware change but it doesn't appear to be a 100% guaranteed cure.  I had tried it before but it didn't fix the problem, and when I reverted to old firmware from 1.0.1.47 the problem went away after the downgrade but before I did the reset.  Firmware 1.0.1.47 still didn't work when I went back to it last time even after I did the reset.  I've been on 1.0.1.44 for the past month without problems.  I'll give 1.0.1.47 (with a good resetting!) another go at the weekend.

Message 71 of 74
burt35
Aspirant

well its not a bt modem its the bt hub

Message 72 of 74

@burt35 wrote:

well its not a bt modem its the bt hub

A "hub" could be anything. BT's hub is a modem/router. It is near on impossible to turn off the router bit.

That's why I asked which hub you had – HH4, HH5 or something else – and how you had achieved that.

Message 73 of 74
moopig
Apprentice

@moopig wrote:

My regular disconnections from the Internet have continued but now the D7800 is always reconnnecting in less than two minutes.  The only way I know it's happened is by checking the router's logs.  I haven't had to reboot the modem for a month.  So firmware 1.0.1.44 is definitely good now, although it used to be definitely bad before! 

I think it might be something to do with the reset after a firmware change but it doesn't appear to be a 100% guaranteed cure.  I had tried it before but it didn't fix the problem, and when I reverted to old firmware from 1.0.1.47 the problem went away after the downgrade but before I did the reset.  Firmware 1.0.1.47 still didn't work when I went back to it last time even after I did the reset.  I've been on 1.0.1.44 for the past month without problems.  I'll give 1.0.1.47 (with a good resetting!) another go at the weekend.

Well, it's been three months so I've been a bit delinquent in getting back with how things went after reverting to firmware 1.0.1.47, which used to get permanently disconnected from the Intenet with clockwork regularity before.  The reason I haven't felt an urgent need to come back to the forum is that my problem is solved.  I haven't had to reboot the D7800 for months.  Yes, I still get the regular Internet disconnections every five days and at the usual time but the modem automatically reconnects in under two minutes.  I have been streaming Youtube videos on my TV when it has happened and the video just paused for a while and then resumed.  Normally now I don't even notice the disconnections and I have stopped checking the modem's logs to see when they happened.

It looks to me that something can get messed up when you do a firmware update, even if you do a factory reset with a five second press of the RESET button after the update.  Disconnecting the Intenet cable for a few seconds and plugging it in again appears to be a good test of whether you're going to have this problem.  If your D7800 doesn't automatically reconnect to the Internet after a few minutes then the firmware update has messed up.

A new D7800 firmware has just come out (v1.0.1.56).  I'm not going to install it right now but I'll give it a try in a day or two...

D7800 ADMIN INTERFACE UPDATER RELEASE NOTES:

Current Version: V1.0.1.47
New Version: V1.0.1.56

Release Notes:
[Enhancement] Update DSL driver to improve UK/BT performance.
[Bug Fix] Fix SOAP vulnerability.
[Bug Fix] Other minor fix.

NETGEAR v1.0.1.56 ZIP FILE DOWNLOAD RELEASE NOTES:
Security Fixes:

PSV-2018-0228
PSV-2018-0296
PSV-2018-0248
PSV-2018-0376
PSV-2019-0029 (kcode issue)
PSV-2018-0159
PSV-2018-0174
PSV-2018-0173