Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6400 NO INTERNET

spewer
Aspirant

R6400 NO INTERNET

I have an r6400 modem. It had been working fine until the latest Genie upgrade. Now no Internet. Have tried connecting with two different routers. Have Internet on ethernet through both gateways. No internet on R6400. Do have minimal network--i.e. it recognizes this computer but I am unable to connect with other computers. Have done everything recommended in all threads on this: changed cables, resets, etc. Nothing. Have been working with networks and computers for a quarter of a century and have never seen anything as difficult to connect as this. Have been at it for two days. I would not recommend this router to anyone. Please no airhead replies like factory resets, etc. Been there; done that. I also find it inetersting that this model has more issues with Internet connections that any I have seen. Wish I would have bought someting else. I also have not seen a forum that makes you jump thought so many hoops just to post a message.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
spewer
Aspirant

Re: R6400 NO INTERNET

As was noted in a previous post: PROBLEM SOLVED. 

Yes, I know the difference between a modem and a router, but at four in the morning when I wrote the query in frustration, I am not sure I knew the difference between my left foot and my right. Obviously not a good time to be troubleshooting, but unfortunately it had to be done as I am about to undergo some serious surgery. Being in a great deal of pain also clouds the thinking a bit. However, no one should have to undergo that much hassle. Switched cables, did a factory reset, etc. Turns out the input jack on the R64000 is very slightly too large. It explains why over time I would lose Internet only to have it come back. That is what made troubleshooting frustrating: the signal would cut in and out. Finally have a temporary fix. However, the R64000 is out of warranty. It does make a cool-looking door stop.

Admin, if you can pleaz mark this thread closed, that would be helpful. Actually would not be a bad idea to delete it as admittedly my first post makes no sense.  Problem is solved. 

Thanks to all who replied and sorry for the feistiness, but insulting people does not help with problem solving.  

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I have an r6400 modem.

An R6400 is a router, not a modem.

> It had been working fine until the latest Genie upgrade.

Which Genie?  Running on what?  Which upgrade?

> Have tried connecting with two different routers.

Do you mean modems?  What is your ISP, cable-TV, DSL, ...?  Do these
"routers" have makers and model numbers?

> Do have minimal network--i.e. it recognizes this computer but I am
> unable to connect with other computers.

I don't know what this means.  What is connected to what, how?  What,
exactly, does "connect with other computers" mean to you?  Web browser?
Windows file sharing? ...?  What, exactly, are you doing?  What,
exactly, happens when you do it?

> Have been working with networks and computers for a quarter of a
> century [...]

So far, it doesn't show.

Message 2 of 6
spewer
Aspirant

Neither does your courtesy. All it helps with is to identify you.  

I wrote the query at four in the morning last night. A five in the morning I got the modem going but will probably swap it for another. 

Message 3 of 6

I know you don't approve of "airhead replies", which certainly put me off replying, along with finding it hard to understand the layout of your network, but before you go through the hassle of installing a new modem that might be equally troublesome, check that you have the latest firmware for whatever it is you are using.

The R6400 is not a modem,  perhaps you mean D6400, which is a reasonable workhorse modem/router. Does most stuff, unless you are a customer of BT in the UK, which uses a variant of IPv6 that is beyond the D6400.

Message 4 of 6
spewer
Aspirant

As was noted in a previous post: PROBLEM SOLVED. 

Yes, I know the difference between a modem and a router, but at four in the morning when I wrote the query in frustration, I am not sure I knew the difference between my left foot and my right. Obviously not a good time to be troubleshooting, but unfortunately it had to be done as I am about to undergo some serious surgery. Being in a great deal of pain also clouds the thinking a bit. However, no one should have to undergo that much hassle. Switched cables, did a factory reset, etc. Turns out the input jack on the R64000 is very slightly too large. It explains why over time I would lose Internet only to have it come back. That is what made troubleshooting frustrating: the signal would cut in and out. Finally have a temporary fix. However, the R64000 is out of warranty. It does make a cool-looking door stop.

Admin, if you can pleaz mark this thread closed, that would be helpful. Actually would not be a bad idea to delete it as admittedly my first post makes no sense.  Problem is solved. 

Thanks to all who replied and sorry for the feistiness, but insulting people does not help with problem solving.  

Message 5 of 6

Must have been a real pain trying to sort that out. Well done.

Nice to have the solution posted here as it may well benefit someone else at a later date.

My response had nothing to do with offering solutions, merely suggesting that you could save yourself some money by persevering with the troublesome device.

@spewer wrote:

Turns out the input jack on the R6400 is very slightly too large.

Strange. There have been reports from Australia of people with plug issues down to the similarity between the telephone system's RJ45 plug and LAN plugs. They had to get different cables. Never did make sense to me.

@spewer wrote:

....insulting people does not help with problem solving.  

I couldn't agree more. It is puzzling that anyone would bother to turn up here to offer help and then throw abuse around the place.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7