Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadySHARE USB storage

Sheik
Initiate

ReadySHARE USB storage

A lot of folks have been having nightmares over the USB3 attached hard drives on the Nighthawk models, and there are many posts offering different solutions. My own experience is as follows.

I have a D7000 (v1)

Firmware V1.0.1.70 exhibits an apparent bug insofar that I was unable to establish a network connection to a USB3 connected drive.

Upon rolling back to V1.0.1.64 I had similar problems if the drive was plugged into the USB3 port on a hot (powered) Nighthawk. However, the drive was immediately recognised (and I am using a WD 10Tb drive) if it is connected to a cold USB3 port and the Nighthawk is then subsequently switched on.

My HDD's are only recognised when pre-attached to cold D7000 prior to bootup (likely initial port scanning that fails to operate during normal operation?) Whatever the case may be, these ongoing issues are unequivocally firmware related. I would urge Netgear to examine the firmware port scanning algorithms, specifically trigger/flags. Something is clearly awry.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
IrvSp
Master

Re: ReadySHARE USB storage

Sugest you get a different drive. 10TB's, well you are the FIRST I've seen that says it works at all? Best before this, a 5TB.

The filesystem on the NG router's leave a lot to be desired. No multi-partition drives supported, not all 'standard' partition formats support, USB 3.0 seems to have problems the USB 2.0 port doesn't.

I've got an R8000 and have the REVERSE problem on the USB 2.0 port. Drive attached before powering the router up is NOT recognized. Only way to get it recognized, plug it when the router is on. Then WAIT for the drive to be cataloged for the DLNA server until I can use it.

If you really want this fixed (no guarantee it will happen), report the problem via opening a case during your FREE support period. NG probably wouldn't even do a thing about this being reported here.

Message 2 of 4
Sheik
Initiate

I only have the D7000 model Nighthawk modem/router. The HDD is 10Tb Seagate (Not WD, sorry) Backup Plus Hub that I intended to use as a pseudo NAS. It worked fine on the ReadySHARE USB2 port of my prior DGND3700v2 albeit very slowly (most often sub 2Mbps write speeds, occasionally topping out @ 4.2Mbps). I have a LINKSYS WRT1200ac that I can write to at over 100 MBps on it's USB3 port but have not as yet cascaded it (LAN-to-LAN)  into the network due to the problems with the D7000. Bit dissaponting considering this is supposed to be one of Netgears recent flagship models. I was happy with my DGND3700v2 which prompted me to stick with Netgear (rather than an ASUS model I was eyeballing) and am now sorry I did so. Such haphazard and unpredictable operational issue due to sub-standard firmware is a sure way to lose credibility and market share. The hardware itself is evidently capable.

Message 3 of 4

@IrvSp wrote:

Sugest you get a different drive. 10TB's, well you are the FIRST I've seen that says it works at all? Best before this, a 5TB.

I think there was a rare sighting of a 6TB drive. But generally the limit for most people seems to be 3TB.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7