Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readyshare Permissions issue

DILLIGAF9014
Aspirant

Readyshare Permissions issue

Hello everyone. Fairly new to sharing contenet via readyshare so please bare with me, as it may be a simple fix for you guys.

I have a D7000 router and have hooked up a WD HDD 1TB (usb powered) for backup and sharing content wirelessly to devices around our home. It all seems to work fine, except one issue. When i try to edit content (Adding, removing and editing file names), i get error messages stating i do not have permission to make changes to the device. However, i am able to add content to certain directories, but not others.

I have checked all the basic permission settings on the router for ReadyShare, and it is set to Allow Read/Write access - No password to All on all neccesary directories. Permissions via windows refuse to change, and revert to previous settings as soon as i apply them, and if i try to change "ownership" (currently default to: root (READYSHARE\root)) of the device, i recieve and error message stating:

"The program cannot open the required dialog box because it cannot determine whether the computer named "192.168.0.1" is joined to a domain. close this message and try again."

Then once i close the dialog box:

"Unable to display the user selection dialog. This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

I have googled and searched for answers to no avail.

I have tried:

- Adding a Windows Credential for "Readyshare".

- Multiple attempts at different Permission setting combinations.

- Setting individual permissions manually through the hard drive itself (connecting it to the computer rather than via router).

- Resets and Reboots.

- With and without Admin/password requirements.

- Changing workgroups on both ReadyShare and conncting PC.

- Different USB slot on Router.

- Formatting HDD and starting fresh.

Now, i know it isn't that hard to take the hard drive out, and edit the data via the computer. But for the sake of convenience, this really frustrates me. Am i not able to do this?

For reference: I also have Ready DLNA enabled for Xbox 360 streaming. The PC i am using is hard wired directly to the Router. I have had an issue with the Router time and date being incorrect and un-changeable (set to Jan 1st, 1970).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thought i might try here before trying Netgear support.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3
sr97355
Tutor

Firmware v1.0.1.50_1.0.1

I've not tried all the stuff the original poster has tried, but I too can delete some of the files and directories copied to the ReadyShare drive but not all.  the Message given is "You require permission from root to make changes to this file".  Don't have a UNIX system.  Not used to the term "root" with Windows system so must be related to the ReadyShare setup on the HDD.  Drive is WD My Book.  Can't find the model number, but ReadyShare says total space = 5589.0 GB.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 2 of 3
vodaholic
Guide

I'm having this problem on my nighthawk x10 as well (among others) starting to regret forking out for this. Simple issues that should be sorted out easily enough yet similar issues regarding permissions have been occurring on netgear routers for years for many people and netgear just can't (or can't be bothered) to resolve them. Poor show! Should of bought that linksys I was considering. Should have sorted this out ages ago Netgear. You'll lose a lot of customers (probably have already)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7