Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readyshare on a D7000 AC1900 Modem Router

Markeiz
Aspirant

Readyshare on a D7000 AC1900 Modem Router

The modem router works fine and I connect my mid-2014 MACBOOK PRO by wifi - using ethernet is not suitable.  However, I have two USB hard drives that I wish to use for network storage.  Both are Toshibas, a 2TB DTP220 and a 1TBDT8310.  If I connect the USB drives to the ports on the sides of the D7000, the modem loses the internet connection.  When I disconnect them, I have to reboot the modem in order to regain the internet.  The Macbook remains wirelessly connected to the router itself.  

Readyshare is unable to see the hard drives.  If I go to finder/Go/Connect to server, the drives are not found.

Both hard drives work when connected directly to the macbook.  However I want to connect them via the modem router to increase the portability of the laptop within my home.

I have previously connected a USB printer to the modem router which caused no problems.

Firmware version is V1.0.1.48_1.0.1 and I use MacOS Sierra version 10.12.5.

What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 29
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Readyshare on a D7000 AC1900 Modem Router

Hello Markeiz

What format is the hard drives using? NTFS Fat32?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 29
Markeiz
Aspirant

No. Both on Macos journal extended
Message 3 of 29
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Message 4 of 29
Markeiz
Aspirant

The drives do not need additional drivers so should work. Marcos extended journal is an HFS+ system and so again should work.
Message 5 of 29
Akongo
Aspirant

I purchased a D7000v2 recently and experienced two main issues.

(1) When I connect to a Western Digital Element HD 4TB, I can access the drive from my File Explorer on Windows 10 PC, but I had files that have Chinese character filenames were not displayed properly with just squares displayed as a folder and is multilayered with subfolders of squares. It cannot be used. I exchanged it for a Nighthawk D7800 and this problem was resolved.

(2) The D7000v2 kept rebooting itself when I was streaming HD TV from the internet and also when copying large files of >10 or 15 GB to the ReadyShare WD HD. There was no issue when copying smaller size files or streaming SD contents from sites like YouTube. I can only assume that this can either be a hardware limitation or is actually a faulty D7000v2 modem router.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 6 of 29
alec_chiu
Aspirant

Hi,

I am facing the same challenge. I am trying to setup Time Machine via ReadyShare. However whenever I connect the HD to the router, seems the router freeze and internet connection will be dropped. I have tried the following testes,

Firmware version V1.0.1.50_1.0.1

Test 1

First turn on the router without external HD connected. Then check and confirm all devices are able to connect to the router. Then check and confirm internet is accessiable. Then connect an external HD to the router. After 1 to 2 minutes I check readyshare status in the router admin page and everything seems fine. However after few more minutes, internet connection will be dropped and the router cannot be connected. In this case I have to disconnect the HD and reboot the router to regain connectivity.

Test 2

First turn off the router. Then connect the HD to the router and have the HD power on. Then turn on the router. The power light on the router will stay amber no matter how long I wait. Then I turn off the HD. The power light will back to normal, and all connectivity including internet connection will be regain.

Any suggestion?? Many thanks in advanced.

Regards

Message 7 of 29
Akongo
Aspirant

Hi Alec, sorry to hear that you had the same issue with myself. I also found that when I access the router using Chrome browser, it locks up the ext HD. When using Microsoft Edge, it was OK. I am not sure about Mac/Safari and Time Machine as I am a Microsoft user. I think there is either limitation on this D7000 router or actually a faulty batch. I spent two months with Netgear support Level 1 than Level 2, with no success. They were useless. Also the D7000 firmware has a problem in that it cannot display Chinese character, so probably a problem with the firmware as well. I gave up in the end and exchange the D7000 with a D7800 router from my local retailer. and the D7800 router had been going without problem for a about 3 months and very stable.

Message 8 of 29
Akongo
Aspirant

No, I am not using  Apple Mac. I am using Microsoft Windows 10.

Message 9 of 29
alec_chiu
Aspirant

Hi,

@Akongo, thanks for you information.

@Case850, macOS High Sierra version 10.13.2 running on an SSD, and TM on an conventional HD - WD Elements Desktop HD 2TB.

Regards,

Message 10 of 29

@Akongo wrote:

No, I am not using  Apple Mac. I am using Microsoft Windows 10.

This discussion is all about problems with a Mac.

You have joined in on an older discussion so there's a chance that the official support team will be too busy following new stuff to find your message. It is usually better to start your own fresh discussion if you want their attention.

Message 11 of 29
Akongo
Aspirant

Message for Case850: Not sure what SMB got to do with connecting a WD HD on the usb port of the router. Main reason for doing this is for all devices connected to the router have access to this HD. As I have given up on the D7000, due to other numerous problem like the ADSL port intermittently disconnect, intermittently reboot, lockup intermittently, etc. I returned the D7000 and got the D7800 instead and as I have said, the D7800 had been stable for the past 3 months (no issues at all so far). Your L1 & L2 support was no help. They said they will replicate the problem after having given them remote access, but heard nothing. So again I have disappointngly, got rid of the D7000 and bought the more expensive D7800.

Message 12 of 29
Akongo
Aspirant

Yes, I have seen this thing about SMB when I was reading about my Synolgy NAS. It appears to be having a device on the network to be the Master Browser (nbtstat -a <devicename> will display the master status) It will register all devices connected to the network. Also read your link with interest. As I normally switch off everything at night to reduce mtbf figure, all I need to do is to power on the NAS first and all windows file explorer will see every device connected to the router including the Readyshare HD. If I don't turn on the Synolgy, the way to get to the readyshre on any windows file explorer is to type in on the address bar \\devicename and hit enter. My problem with this is really resolved. The problem with the D7000 was my disappointment with your L1 & 2 support plus the intermittent issue mentioned is my previous post. Thanks for your response.

Message 13 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Case850 wrote:

If macOS High Sierra is running on an SSD it will be formatted in APFS. Thus to perform a Time Machine backup across the network you need SMB3 support. Specifically, on the D7000 Readyshare needs to support SMB3, which it does not.

Prepare for APFS in macOS High Sierra         

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208018

Actually the APFS restrictions apply to sharing from a High Sierra system using APFS, not connecting to SMB/AFP shares from any Mac running High Sierra. We don't support the APFS filesystem on USB disks connected to our routers or ReadyNAS units.

An APFS filesystem can be used as a Time Machine destination only if shared over SMB. You can backup a Mac running High Sierra over AFP to a system that doesn't use APFS as the filesystem e.g. to a USB disk connected to one of our routers, or to one of our ReadyNAS units.

@Case850 wrote:

@Akongo

For the Windows 10 SMB, see the following link.

SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-serve...

You can re-enable support for connecting to SMB1 servers on Windows 10.

ReadyNAS OS 6 currently uses samba 4.7, the latest stable samba series which has some support for SMB3.

If you look at samba.org, samba 4.8 (currently in Release Candidate stage) will add support for the samba server being using as a SMB Time Machine backup destination.

Message 14 of 29

@Case850 wrote:

@Akongo wrote:

The problem with the D7000 was my disappointment with your L1 & 2 support plus the intermittent issue mentioned is my previous post. Thanks for your response.

Just to let you know I don't work for Netgear and as far as I am aware most of the people on the forum don't work for Netgear.

This is important. This is a user-to-user self-help group. Most of the people here are unpaid volunteers with time on their hands and a willingness to help people.

Anyone who wants official support should use the appropriate channels. You get 90-days "free" support with a new device. Then there is the one-year (or more) warranty that you can use if something goes wrong after the 90 days.

Message 15 of 29
Akongo
Aspirant

Got confused with various people corresponding on this post. One name mdgm sounded like from Netgear (netgear moderator).

Message 16 of 29
alec_chiu
Aspirant

Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your help and suggections. You give me ideas and directions on this issue. Much appreciated. 

I managed to get connection works, via afp instead of smb. However still have one challenge to resolve, that is my WD external hd upset D7000 and make the router go crazy, maybe compatiability issue.

Regards.

Message 17 of 29
alec_chiu
Aspirant

Oh... here is what I did

I swapped the WD disk (2TB) to a small Kingston usb stick (2GB), in order test if D7000 able to mount the drive. I tried both FAT32 and OS X Extended (Journaled) format, and D7000 able to mount the drive with ease. Then I follow the steps below and I am able to upload/download files from the drive.

https://kb.netgear.com/24067/How-do-I-use-Time-machine-to-back-up-my-MAC-onto-a-USB-hard-drive-attac...

Then I swapped the usb stick back to WD disk and hoping everything works... unfortunately D7000 go crazy and did not allow any WIFI connection from any of my devices. Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 29
alec_chiu
Aspirant

Hi Case850,

My firmware is V1.0.1.50_1.0.1

I did basic file upload/download only. I did not do full TM test, however I can see the network drive available in TM Select Disk window so assumed it should work if I could mount a large disk to D7000.

Message 19 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Case850 wrote:

However the support document from Apple says you need SMB3 for TM Backup of APFS source disk across the network.

No. SMB is required if a Mac using the APFS filesystem is the backup destination not the source (if support for backing up to a Mac using the APFS filesystem isn't implemented yet this sounds like they've put it in the support document to save needing to remember to update it later). The support document isn't very clear. One can backup Macs using the AFPS filesystem using Time Machine over AFP. If this really wasn't supported Apple wouldn't allow it in the first place.

Btw something in an earlier post of yours was detected as possibly being spam. That puts it into a queue for manual review. Subsequent attempts to post it were also picked up as that. In the future you suspect this may have happened you can enquire to a moderator. I've released one of your duplicate posts. It's important to us that the community is an open place to discuss our products.

Message 20 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Backing up APFS disks works to USB disks formatted with HFS+ or over the network using AFP. It would be a very simple job for Apple engineers to block backups over AFP from taking place if your interpretation was correct.

Message 21 of 29
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We have a detailed comment on High Sierra backups over AFP in the ReadyNAS section explaining it better than I did: Readynas OS 6.9, High Sierra, Time Machine

Of course one expects Apple to remove support for the AFP protocol entirely at some point, but for now it is still around.

Message 22 of 29
EdDunn
Aspirant

I am so bummed to find all of this technical jargon reply to this problem.  I want a simple answer that solves the problem.  

I have had this D7000 for about three years.  I had a 1TB Samsung 850 SSD attached to the USB port for a couple of years.  My 2012 Mac Retina laptop running the latest OS recognized it and it worked just fine.  I had, early on tried to hook up a second drive to the other USB port but it was not recognized. 

Last fall, it started to be intermittant, causing the router to loose connection on all devices in the house (both iPhones and both Mac Laptops)  and I would have to reboot the router.  Eventually it it just stopped working and every single time I plugged the drive into the router it would drop connection to internet and there was no connection to the SSD.

I bought a new 1TB Samsung 860 SSD and tried to hook it up.  Same problem.

Without getting too much into jargon, please let me know what format for the drive is needed and in what order do I turn equipment on to get this to work again.  It is a real pain in the ___ having to plug the drive directly into my computer (which works as it should).

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 23 of 29

@EdDunn wrote:

I am so bummed to find all of this technical jargon reply to this problem.  I want a simple answer that solves the problem.  

Sadly, it is rare that there is a simple answer to this sort of problem. The fact that you already had ReadyShare working with your drive tells us that you know how to format the thing.

It is pretty forgiving on formats. There is a manual for the D7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

see page 148.

My guess, based on the symptoms you describe, is that something else is going on.

Apologies for what comes next, it takes us into technicals, but what what firmware version do you have on the device? A number is more useful than "the latest". It may not be by the time people read this, and there can be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up in the browser interface.

I ask because Netgear uses new firmware to fix this sort of problem. It may just be that some time in the past they mended the problem that hits you.

Remember, Readyshare is a pretty basic tool for sharing stuff on a local network. I wouldn't be surprised if it had problems with SSD storage.

Message 24 of 29
EdDunn
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.  This problem has been happening over many firmware and OSX updates.

The Firmware is: 

V1.0.1.64_1.0.1

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
OS 10.13.4 (17E202)
Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements