Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readyshare usb storage not recognised after firmware upgrade

Tykelad
Tutor

Readyshare usb storage not recognised after firmware upgrade

I have recently upgraded the firmware to V1.0.1.56 from (I think) V1.0.1.47. Since the upgrade the USB HDD has not been recognised by Readyshare.  Using the network genie on my Windows PC, and look at the readyshare status, I either get 'No USB Drive' or occasionally it says 'Ready' but when I go into the detail, there's no USB drive being shown. I've attached the USB HDD to my PC and it works as expected.

If anyone can offer a solution I'd be most grateful. Thanks for your help.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions

Done a reboot? (The firmware upgrade should have done that, but worth trying again.)

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
Tykelad
Tutor

Sorry, should have added I've got a D7800 modem router.

Message 2 of 8

Done a reboot? (The firmware upgrade should have done that, but worth trying again.)

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems.

Message 3 of 8
Tykelad
Tutor

Many thanks michaelkenward I have success. I had already done a reboot many times without any success. As per your instructions, I saved the router settings and performed a factory reset. As I hadn't changed many settings, I manually remade the changes i.e. didn't restore the previous settings. The USB HDD is now visible from any device on the network.

Many thanks for your help. 

Message 4 of 8

That's good news.Thanks for reporting back.It could help someone else who turns up here with a similar issue.

You really should not have to reset the thing, but that is sometimes the only way out.

Message 5 of 8
Tykelad
Tutor

Well, that didn't last long. Yesterday, whilst using the USB HDD via my Windows PC, the D7800 decided to make the drive invisible. So the document I was editing couldn't be saved back to its 'home'. I'm about to reset the router again but I don't want to be doing this every two days. Is there a fix for this? 

Can I and should I revert back to an earlier version of the firmware?

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 6 of 8
antinode
Guru

> Can I and should I revert back to an earlier version of the firmware?

You probably can.  Whether you should might best be resolved by
experiment.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Downloads.  (For older versions, under Firmware and Software
Downloads, look for "View Previous Versions".)  Find the kit(s).
Download the kit(s) you want.  Read the "Release Notes" file for
instructions.

Message 7 of 8
Tykelad
Tutor

Thanks for your help. I have downgraded th D7800 to the previous version of firmware (1.0.1.47). It has been running for 6 days now and the USB HDD is still being recognised. Must be a bug in 1.0.1.56.

Thanks for all your help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7