Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Repeater with DGND36700 dropping out

Coggsa
Aspirant

Repeater with DGND36700 dropping out

I have a WNDR4000 and a DGND3700 that I am tring to connect via the WDS or Wireless Repeating Function. I am using the 2.4Ghz band, and have the SSD, Channel and Security (Completely off while I try and sort this out!) both set the same, and the correct MAC addresses in each router. And it works! For 5 minutes, and then I need to turn off the wireless on the WNDR4000 and turn it back on for another 5 minutes.
So whats the deal? Is WDS just broken? Cant I use another method?
Next question: Whats the most secure way of doing this? I can only use WEP with WDS? Whats this crazy talk?? Multiple iPhones, Laptops, Media boxes etc connect to the network so it’s a bit hard to lock down MAC addresses.
Message 1 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/WDS/WDS_Concept.pdf

If you read thread all the reapter question is repeated with same answer

You can ONLY use WEP or no encryption

If you want most security. USE EXTENDER wn2500rpt,wn2000rpt,wn3000rp
Message 2 of 6
Coggsa
Aspirant

Hey June.

Yep, I know thats a bit of an issue. But it still dosnt explain the dropouts of the extender after 5 minues (or less. Usually less. )
Message 3 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Shorten distance

Repeating device must located between a-b point

B point be trouble signal allocation
Message 4 of 6
Coggsa
Aspirant

OK, so the result of this was that the WNDR4000 needs to have the Firmware updated to eliminate the issue.
Connect the WNDR4000 and DGND3700 on the 5GHz at 54mbps and use WEP. Hide the SSD.
Use the 2.4Ghz as normal, and you can call it what you like! Most devices are still only using 2.4Ghz, so it should be all good to dedicate the 5Ghz to the Bridge.

Sorted!!
Message 5 of 6
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you will be surprised that many of new laptops/desktop are dual band capable so nosey person can still get down to it ..

it is your network so whatever you make decision is the final. 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7