Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Replacement for DG834

wiredduck
Aspirant

Replacement for DG834

My DG834 router is eleven years old and going well. However I am mindful that it is old and am looking for a suitable replacement. I do NOT use wi-fi connections....not ever, so please don't suggest changing over to it. The house has wiring/CAT5 already in the walls, so any replacement router must be able to use this and have a minimum of three ports. Our ADSL speeds are not fast (copper wire, rural) so I don't need anything fancy or with a load of gadgets. What does Netgear have at the moment that will suit? My local computer shop doesn't have any Netgear products to look at, so I'm a bit stuck.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Why change the box if it still works? I have one of those lying around for the day when the rest die and I need a backup.

The only reason why many people upgrade is to take advantage of faster wifi. You don't need that.

You might benefit from have gigabit ethernet, which is what most modern modems offer, but to get that you'll probably have to get a wifi modem and turn off the wifi. (There isn't much market for "wifi-free" modems.) As you aren't bothered about wifi speed, the slowest basic ADSL modem with gigabit ethernet might suit you.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies

Why change the box if it still works? I have one of those lying around for the day when the rest die and I need a backup.

The only reason why many people upgrade is to take advantage of faster wifi. You don't need that.

You might benefit from have gigabit ethernet, which is what most modern modems offer, but to get that you'll probably have to get a wifi modem and turn off the wifi. (There isn't much market for "wifi-free" modems.) As you aren't bothered about wifi speed, the slowest basic ADSL modem with gigabit ethernet might suit you.

Message 2 of 6
wiredduck
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply...sorry to respond late but I have had broadband connection drop-outs for the past few days....not necessarily due to the router, but as yet not proven one way or the other.

I'd been advised to try another router because of its age....when I looked at the new Netgear products I couldnt fathom out what was wi-fi and what was not....from what you say, they seem to be all combined now.  I have no familiarity with the new stuff at all. Maybe I should have phrased my question a little differently; I don't particularly want to replace what I've got but IF it were to go doodle-pip, then I'd need to do something about it.

Message 3 of 6

Hi,

All modem-routers on the Netgear's link will do the trick. They all do WiFi and will connect to your ADSL line. 4 Ethernet ports for most of them (maybe all).
DGND4000, D6300, D6400 are pretty good products

Message 4 of 6

Yup. Makes sense. But if you do not need, or want, wifi, then some of those modems are very expensive.

I have the D6400 (thanks to beta testing) and DGND4000. Both are gigabit LAN. But the DGND4000 should be cheaper.

Both are serious overkill if all you want to do is to replace an old DG834.

And yes, "wifi free" modems are a thing of the past as far as Netgear is concerned. But you may find some old stock lying around somewhere at rock bottom price. If you are prepared to buy second hand, it could be even cheaper.

Message 5 of 6

Checking around, it looks like the DGND3700 has gigabit ethernet. Its wifi is pretty slow, so the price is about half that of the other boxes suggested so far.

The DGN2200 is even cheaper, and slower, bit does not have gigabit ethernet.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7