Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router Log Nighthawk D7000V2

Clameur
Follower

Router Log Nighthawk D7000V2

Hi,
This might seem like a stupid question but how do I know my firewall is protecting me because in 10 days if running this router the logs are not showing a single hit or intrusion. I've run Shields Up! Via my mobile and it flags nothing but still on my log.
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Router Log Nighthawk D7000V2

Not sure what you expect from a consumer NAT device with a SPI firewall. As long as you have no services exposed to the wild Internet (e.g. remote administration) there won't be much to see. As it's a many2one NAT (all your LAN IP addresses are mapped to the ISP assigned public IP), unless there are port forwarding in place (manual or by UPnP PMP) there can't be any connections from the WAN/Internet to your LAN IP addresses. Should your ISP have CGN (Carrier Grade NAT) in place, chances for any remote access attempts are much lower. And no, a NAT router with an SPI firewall does not imply there is an intrusion prevention system in place, too.

Message 2 of 3
IrvSp
Master

Re: Router Log Nighthawk D7000V2

@Clameur wrote:
 I've run Shields Up! Via my mobile and it flags nothing but still on my log.

Not sure what you are saying here? Shields Up! 'hits your router' with port requests. If they are rejected or not answered, the ports are closed. If they get one, it isn't basically.

You say it flagged nothing, good, you are 'hidden' from the Internet. However there are a few tests there. Which one did you perform? There is one that tests first 1056 ports only, others specific, and still other ones like the UPnP test? I ran these are got NOT hits in my log?

What LOG does it show up in? What EXACTLY does it show?

Screenshots or copy and paste items so 'we' can see it please?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7