Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router NETGEAR D1500 as a simple WiFi station

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Router NETGEAR D1500 as a simple WiFi station

Hello,

I'm actually looking for a router to train me to build networks in my home, and I found the NETGEAR D1500. The problem is that it's called "modem-router" (where I found this).

I asked a forum where we told me that it's impossible to use this device like a simple WiFi hotspot (to extend your home's connexion circle for example) but that the D1500 can't be used for this but must be used like a traditionnal modem (I take the example of the Livebox 3 Play from Orange (in France)), with you ADSL or FTTH subscription.

Is it really this, or it had wrong things mentionned to me ?

Sorry for my english, I'm a French who's trying to explain the situation as the best manner as possible. 🙂

Thank you,

romino537

Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

Re: Router NETGEAR D1500 as a simple WiFi station

I don't have personal experience with the D1500 but I took a look at the manual and here are my thoughts.

You should be able to use the D1500 as a Wi-Fi Access Point.  An Access Point must be connected via Ethernet to the main router.  This is different than operating as a wireless range extender.  The D1500 is not suitable for use as a range extender.

In order to set up the D1500 as an Access Point, you must disable its DHCP server, then connect it to your main router with one of the two Ethernet ports.

While this should work, I must point out that the D1500 has pretty low end Wi-Fi.  It only supports 2.4 GHz.  You will probably get, at best, 70 Mbps with a 2x2 stream device.  A 1x1 stream device will get around 33 Mbps.  If you have dual-band devices, then I recommend that you invest in something that can function as a dual-band Access Point.  You will see much faster speeds using the 5 GHz band.

In addition, you are wasting money by not using the modem.  You would be better off buying a Wi-Fi router or even a range extender that supports Access Point mode.

Message 2 of 3
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Router NETGEAR D1500 as a simple WiFi station

Thanks for your answer,

I also asked yesterday the french support and saomone gave me a phone number so I'll call the french hotline to be sure 🙂

I don't want a to expansive Access Point for this moment, I just want to train me, we will see later for dual-band or "triple"-band.

I'll confirm you, after my call ! 😉

Have a nice day 😉

romino537

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7