Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Router periodically stops working (wifi/cabled)

wilywarthog
Aspirant

Router periodically stops working (wifi/cabled)

Starting a week or so ago, my DGND4000 router periodically just stops working - or rather, the devices connected to it (via wifi/cable) can no longer access the internet. All the LEDs on the router are fine, if I log into the admin panel and ping an internet address it works fine, so it looks 100% ok, but all devices absolutely lose all internet connectivity. If I go to the "Internet" tab on the admin panel and just click the "Apply" button (without changing anything), then in a few seconds it gets fixed, at least for a few hours until it happens again.

Any idea what is causing this, and / or how to isolate/fix it?

Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: Router periodically stops working (wifi/cabled)

1. what firmware is on it? 

2. what modem/gateway is it connected to or are you using it in its dsl capability?

3. have you tried a different dns provider?

Just an fyi, thats a older N750 dsl modem/router. 

Message 2 of 11
wilywarthog
Aspirant

Hi Plemans

I believe it's the latest firmware - V1.1.00.15_1.00.15

It's connected to a Nokia G240GC

By 'different dns provider' - do you mean a different ISP? Not sure how easily I can test that without setting up a new account with someone else...

Message 3 of 11

@wilywarthog wrote:

Starting a week or so ago, my DGND4000 router periodically just stops working

That is an ageing (2013) DSL modem/router. More than the "router" you call it.

So, what mode is it in? The options are modem/router, modem only or router only. (We can probably ignore the more esoteric AP options.)

Message 4 of 11
wilywarthog
Aspirant

Hi MIchael

It's in Router mode (Modem + Router). Router only doesn't seem to be an option.

wilywarthog_0-1669003426435.png

Message 5 of 11
wilywarthog
Aspirant

The weirdest thing about this internet issue is that I can be sitting in a virtual call, on video, and have no problem with the call, but if I try to check my email on the side or check something on a web page, I get a message that there is no internet. 

Message 6 of 11

@wilywarthog wrote:

Hi MIchael

It's in Router mode (Modem + Router). Router only doesn't seem to be an option.

There isn't a "router only" mode.

You get that by plugging into the WAN port on the DGND4000. Do that and you bypass the DSL modem bit.

Message 7 of 11

@wilywarthog wrote:

It's connected to a Nokia G240GC

Standard ONT. No router to getin the way.

I'm surprised that someone with fibre Internet like that perseveres with an ancient router with wifi technology that is not far into the 21st Century.

By 'different dns provider' - do you mean a different ISP? Not sure how easily I can test that without setting up a new account with someone else...

No. DNS provider is the Domain Name Server, "the phonebook of the Internet", the place where you browser goes to find the address of the place you are trying to each.

Most people use the setting Get Automatically from ISP. But there are times when you might find it beytter to use one of the well knwon DNS alternatives. The manual tells you where to enter thbose details.

What is DNS? | How DNS works | Cloudflare

There are various well known public DNS srvers out there. Cloudflare is one of them. Amazon in another.

Message 8 of 11
wilywarthog
Aspirant

Right - it's connected like that, as you say. (The DSL port is a phone jack? - so presumably with an Ethernet cable from the fibre modem, that's not possible.)

Message 9 of 11
wilywarthog
Aspirant

I see. The ISP just installed it like that when I upgraded from DSL to Fibre. So my guess is that they just used the DSL model/router as the "router only", when they added the Fibre ONT(?).

Ok, so I take it it's not an optimal device. Given that Black Friday is approaching, can you recommend a router that would be "up to date", so to speak? (I'll try my best to Google it...)

Thanks for your help!

Message 10 of 11

@wilywarthog wrote:

Ok, so I take it it's not an optimal device. Given that Black Friday is approaching, can you recommend a router that would be "up to date", so to speak?

Thanks for your help!

The biggest improvement for you will be in the link between your ONT and the router. At the  moment, that is 100 Mbps. I have not seen any fibre service that is that slow. If anything they can even be faster than the 1000 Mbps services that today's routers were built for. You may be amazed at how much faster everything goes at your end. Your ONT certainly has faster LAN ports.

After that, the rest depends on what you need.The devices you want to connect and how big a space you need to fill with wifi.

If the DGND4000 meets your needs, then you really don't need anything with go-fast stripes down the side. Just get one with "Gigabit" Ethernet, like your ONT.

If you use any wifi devices around the place  then anything would beat the decade old DGND4000. (I had one way back then.) It does have 5 GHz wifi, but in an early implementation.

I would look at the wifi technology on my phones and find a router that can match that.

A good place to start would be the product pages for routers.

Try plugging your needs into the filters on the product pages:

Wireless Routers for Home | NETGEAR

and

Orbi: Whole Home WiFi System for Better WiFi Everywhere | NETGEAR

Then check back here for reports on the things you are considering, but remember that people turn up in this community with problems, not compliments. So look at reviews on Amazon, for example.

Ignore the expensive stuff at the top of the page.

Some of us around here are great believers in "last year's model". The nerds go for new kit, leaving older routers sitting lonely on the shelf. Some people even go for refurbs, but that can leave you without warranty support.

Another thought, if your ISP maintains a list of compatible routers, check that. (But don't take it too seriously as they won't have the resources or inclination to test everything on the market.)) Or use its  user community to get feedback on whatever takes your fancy.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7