Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SKYQ won't connect to internet

AlanLeT
Aspirant

SKYQ won't connect to internet

Had a new SKY Q fitted only to be told that the new D7800 router i had was not compatable with SKY Q and it would not allow it to connect to the internet. Surely this can't be correct, i have just looked for a firmware update but there isn't one, and SKYQ finds network fin eand connects but then states No Internet connection.  Help

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: SKYQ won't connect to internet

D7800 or R7800?

Your message says one, but the footer says something else.

D7800 is a modem/router.

Message 2 of 8
AlanLeT
Aspirant

It is a D7800 NightHawk AC2600modem/router - doesn’t appear on the drop down.

Apologies i saw 2600 and failed to see R and not D.

Message 3 of 8

OK. You have a modem.

What is the Sky box? A modem?

What is your Internet? Cable? DSL?

If Sky supplied the modem, you need to set the D7800 as a router. That means connecting your modem to the Internet (Red) socket on the back.

Message 4 of 8
AlanLeT
Aspirant

Hi, SKY is the major UK satellite broadcaster. SKYQ is their latest top set box, allows recording 5-6 shows etc and has mini boxes to other parts of the house that work on a closed mesh set-up.

its not a modem and requires either a WIFI OR wired broadband connection, i’ve Tried both and it connects to the router but not the internet. 

Engineer that installed, stated it was a Netgear issue but i that didn’t seem right given the relative age and spec of the nighthawk.

interestingly the SKYQ box isn’t locating the 5G and i wondered if its possible to manually configure this? There is an option on set-up but unsure what those settings are likely to be.

Apologies for the ramble but any help gratefully recd.

Thanks

alan

@michaelkenward wrote:

OK. You have a modem.

What is the Sky box? A modem?

What is your Internet? Cable? DSL?

If Sky supplied the modem, you need to set the D7800 as a router. That means connecting your modem to the Internet (Red) socket on the back.

Message 5 of 8

I know what Sky is. Part of the Murdochs' evil empire.

My question is about the SKY Q box. I couldn't find anything about it.

If it comes with a LAN port, then you should be able to plug that into your modem/router.

In general, it is better to hard wire as much of the network as possible.

AlanLeT wrote:

interestingly the SKYQ box isn’t locating the 5G and i wondered if its possible to manually configure this? There is an option on set-up but unsure what those settings are likely to be.

Does the SKYQ actually work with 5GHz? A lot of wifi stuff doesn't. If not, then SKYQ won't see it.

Where is this option on setup? The modem, or the SKYQ?

As you have the D7800, I assume that you are getting your Internet from someone else.

Some of those TV services lock you into their hardware. But not knowing anything about the SKY Q, I am left guessing. 

I suspect that the Sky "engineer" doesn't have a clue, which is why they said that the D7800 is not compatible. Much easier to pass the buck than to deal with the issue.

There won't be many Sky users on this forum – did you search? – so your best bet  might be to check out a Sky users' forum. That certainly works for BT customewrs, where the user to user support is often better than BT can muster.

Indeed, if BT is your Internet service provider you could try there:

Home - BTCare Community Forums

Then again, it took me fiver seconds to user a search engine to find this:

Getting a Netgear D7800 Nighthawk Router to work as a replacement for my Sagemcom F@ST2504n

As I said, the Sky forum is probably your best bet.

Message 6 of 8
LeeBop
Aspirant

I have Sky Q, installed for 'free' in November 2017. I too am using a Netgear d7800. My Sky Q box and Sky Q mini box have no issue connecting with my Netgear d7800 nor does it have any problem conencting to the internet. The Sky Q box doesn't connect to third party (ie non Sky broadband routers) via 5GHz channel, it reserves its own 5 GHz channel for its Sky mesh which is what it uses to connect with other Sky devices, eg Sky Q mini box or Sky broadband routers. 

The Sky Q box connects to the D7800 (and any other non Sky routers) via the 2.4GHz channel or via LAN wired connection. So for anyone doing their hardest to force it to use the 5GHz channel are wasting their time!

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 7 of 8

@LeeBop wrote:

I have Sky Q, installed for 'free' in November 2017. I too am using a Netgear d7800. My Sky Q box and Sky Q mini box have no issue connecting with my Netgear d7800 nor does it have any problem conencting to the internet. 

For the sake of anyone else who drops in on this conversation, note that the D7800 is a modem/router. This means that when used with other network hardware it can cause conflicts. For example, if your Internet service provider has its own modem/router, it may be necessary to tweak either that or the D7800.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7