Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SOS and ROC Updates

HerRae
Guide

SOS and ROC Updates

Nighthawk X4S D7800 - SOS and ROC updates - NETGEAR Communities

We need to update our Nighthawk's...any one have any idea how and where?  Only purchased this year and was not cheap.  Not keen to replace.  From "MATE" (internet provider)

"You can contact the manufacturer of your current VDSL modem and check whether a firmware update may be available to support the Save Our Showtime (SOS) and Robust Overhead Channel (ROC) functions required by nbn.
For modems not supporting these new functions, another function, Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) will be required by nbn.
A firmware update may make your modem compatible with nbn's changes."

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The D6220, D7000v1 and D6400 supports SOS, ROC and SRA and these features are enabled by default just make sure you are running the latest FW. The other models DM200, D8500, D7000v2, D7800 and DGN2200v4 do not support SOS, ROC, and SRA due to the chipset limitation in these devices so there is no way to update via fw since chipset does not support the features.

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 26

All Replies
plemans
Guru

You can update it from the support site. The manual goes over how to do so. 

You can get firmware and manuals here: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7800.aspx

Message 2 of 26

@HerRae wrote:

"You can contact the manufacturer of your current VDSL modem and check whether a firmware update may be available to support the Save Our Showtime (SOS) and Robust Overhead Channel (ROC) functions required by nbn.
For modems not supporting these new functions, another function, Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) will be required by nbn.
A firmware update may make your modem compatible with nbn's changes."

Oh dear. NBN strikes again.

If the lead that @plemans offers doesn't get the desired result, you may be forced to try local resources.

I have heard good reports of the help available here:

Whirlpool Forums

The trouble with NBN is that a lot of people have acquired Netgear devices on the basis of the compatibility advice here:

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

As a result there plenty of users have a DSL modem/router that is actually running in router mode, with no DSL modem involved.

We can't tell from your message if you are one of the people in this situation.

Which of the various types of NBN is this?

Message 3 of 26
Adamk456
Tutor

I received the below email from NetGear last week re D7800:

Apologies for the delay. 

Unfortunately the Modem is not compatible with the new functions and there wont be a firmware update.

You can however get the Telstra modem and connect the D7800 to continue to use the router function.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

Message 4 of 26

@Adamk456 wrote:

You can however get the Telstra modem and connect the D7800 to continue to use the router function.

Please let me know if you have any further questions

This bit might benefit from a bit of explanation.

What is is saying is that if you can put the Telstra modem into modem only (bridge) mode, you can use the D7800 as a router.

If Telstra is anything like many #Internet service providers (ISPs), it will supply a modem/router rather than a simple modem. And some ISPs supply devices that do not allow bridge mode.

Message 5 of 26
Adham
Apprentice

We are also on D7800 and on the latest version of the firmware, and yet we received a similar email.

Can someone please help with this urgently before 31st of March?

On 31 March 2022, NBN Co is upgrading NBN FTTB/N services with a requirement for all modems to support a new stability feature called SOS-ROC.

Our records show that you are currently using an NBN modem that may not support SOS-ROC for your NBN service.

Here’s what you need to do:

• We recommend checking your modem manufacturer’s website to see a firmware update is available that will enable your modem to support SOS-ROC. You can find the make and model of your modem on its barcode sticker.

• Alternatively, you may wish to consider purchasing a new modem which supports SOS-ROC. Our NBN Settings support page will help you understand which features your new modem needs to support in order to work with your NBN FTTB/N connection.

In the interim, we will automatically adjust the profile of your NBN service to reduce the impact of the change on 31 March 2022. You won’t need to take any action for this settings adjustment to take effect.

For more information about NBN modem requirements, please visit NBN Co.'s website.

Message 6 of 26
HerRae
Guide

Hi,  Harvey Norman let me know when checking with Netgear, that there is a built in something or rather in the Nighthawk that means it should still work.

Sorry, it was a couple of months back, and have forgotten the technical term he used!

Recently though, the internet stopped working.  MATE said it was an NBN fault.  The NBN said they had fixed it (didn't), then really did fix it.  I thought it may have been the SOC & ROC, but whatever it was is all fine now.

It is better to see if it will still work than rush out and buy another modem/router.  What have you got to lose?

Message 7 of 26
HerRae
Guide

See my reply below 🙂

Message 8 of 26

Message 9 of 26
Adamk456
Tutor

So i bit the bullet and purchased a modem from my ISP.

I called them and they set the new modem to bridge mode BUT the nighthawk will not go into router mode (we tried this: https://kb.netgear.com/29804/Changing-D6220-D7800-mode-from-modem-router-mode-to-router-mode#)

Any advise on how to get around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 10 of 26

@Adamk456 wrote:

Any advise on how to get around this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Read the manual for the D7800 and follow the instructions:

Set Up the Modem Router for Cable or Fiber Service.

Message 11 of 26
AxTMtEvelyn
Tutor

Hi all,

I have been selling Netgear for a while now and recently found my own two D7000v2 units will not work with the proposed changes to the NBN. I have found no solution to the issue. I have bought "Another Brand".

I am now selling "Another Brand" of devices (Contact me offlist if you want to know more).

Primarily because you can actually talk to their tech support.

Great products from "Another Brand".

Shame about Netgear.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 12 of 26
kfelsche
Aspirant

As the modem/router was sold as NBN compatible, I wonder if owners can claim a refund on the basis that the item is no longer fit for service? 

That might make a firmware update a higher priority to Netgear? I have no idea if the hardware does not allow a firmware upgrade to achieve compatibility but Netgear would and should come out and say this.

There are probably thousands of affected devices, many quite new and all expensive!

No doubt there will be an attempt to blame the NBN (and they would share the blame) but Netgear may well have it in their power to provide a fix through a firmware upgrade.

A new modem cost around $200+ and a modem/router more. Worth asking?

In any case, Netgear's silence is worth raising with the ACA (Choice) to ensure prospective Netgear buyers are alerted to the company's attitude.  Should do wonders for sales.

Message 13 of 26

@kfelsche wrote:

As the modem/router was sold as NBN compatible, I wonder if owners can claim a refund on the basis that the item is no longer fit for service? 

If you follow this conversation, which has been going for about six months, you will see that when most people bought these modems they were "NBN compatible". (Modem/routers still are in certain circumstances.) It is just that the technical wizards in Australia decided to change the technology. It would be interesting to know when the brains behind NBN informed the equipment makers that it was going to change.

An easy way out would be for ISPs making this change to supply customers with a free replacement modem. Then Netgear modem/routers can work as routers.

It isn't just Netgear that has been hit by the change. You will find that other brands are clobbered.

For example, from eight months ago:

NBN SOS update - DrayTek - Modems/Routers - Whirlpool Forums

It may be that Netgear has sold more devices and has more "victims".

Message 14 of 26
AxTMtEvelyn
Tutor

Hi,

I have made the choice now to purchase two cheap modems that will function with

the new requirements. They will be in bridge mode and a new pfSense or OPNsense box will

be behind it. This way if anything changes I can again buy cheap simple modems while keeping

my internal network active.

A recent article mentioned "VDSL modems that use an Intel or Lantiq chipset may no longer

work or may require a firmware update". I think my D7000v2 have Lantiq so a firmware change

may make them functional. However, I have not seen any potential for a firmaware update yet.

JM2C..

Thank you for your comments.

Message 15 of 26

@AxTMtEvelyn wrote:

This way if anything changes I can again buy cheap simple modems while keeping

my internal network active.

That is an excellent strategy. It is one reason why experienced users like to have separate modems and routers.

Another benefit is that having a standalone modem, usually a relatively inexpensive device, means that you have a much better choice of routers. The router bit of the modem/router combination never has all the options that you can get with a router only box.

Message 16 of 26

@kfelsche wrote:

In any case, Netgear's silence is worth raising with the ACA (Choice) to ensure prospective Netgear buyers are alerted to the company's attitude. 

Did you find this?

Australian Consumer Rights

It is on the Netgear support page:

Support | NETGEAR

Message 17 of 26
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The D6220, D7000v1 and D6400 supports SOS, ROC and SRA and these features are enabled by default just make sure you are running the latest FW. The other models DM200, D8500, D7000v2, D7800 and DGN2200v4 do not support SOS, ROC, and SRA due to the chipset limitation in these devices so there is no way to update via fw since chipset does not support the features.

Message 18 of 26
AxTMtEvelyn
Tutor

Have to say that I do not think we can hold Netgear responsible for

an issue caused by our NBN clowns.

Message 19 of 26
kfelsche
Aspirant

Thank you - I wish Netgear had provided that answer up front. 

Guess it's time to find a new modem. I feel sorry for all who bought the D7800 for a lot of money only in the last few years. It has been a pretty good modem/router not to be confined to e-waste while still functioning. 

Thanks for the news.

Message 20 of 26

@kfelsche wrote:

Guess it's time to find a new modem. I feel sorry for all who bought the D7800 for a lot of money only in the last few years. It has been a pretty good modem/router not to be confined to e-waste while still functioning. 

Ask whoever broke the Internet and forced you to ditch the D7800 to supply a modem at their expense. Then use it to feed the D7800 as a router.

A zero cost option that gives you the same functionality.

Message 21 of 26
markhershberger
Aspirant

Hello people Just got an email about upgrades to our VDSL2 connection. They are adding SOS ROC support and my router does not support it Netgear is not updating the firmware to support either Netgear D7800. My predicament is to Buy a new one looking at the Draytek vigor 2866 Or Build a pf sense box to add to the rack. But I can not find info on pf sense supporting SOS ROC I am sure it would and this would be my proffered option. Just want to confirm.

Any help appreciated thanks.

Message 22 of 26
plemans
Guru

@markhershberger Its not a "updating the firmware to support it". Its hardware that would need to be changed. Some of Netgear's routers support it (not that model) because the cpu supplier had that integrated into their hardware. that one didn't. but you can always continue to use it as a router as it has a WAN port so you're not out a device. 

Message 23 of 26

@markhershberger wrote:

Any help appreciated thanks.

Not much to add to the concise and accurate response from @plemans beyond suggesting that your ISP had changed its network. You should ask it for a modem to replace the one that it broke.

Message 24 of 26
AxTMtEvelyn
Tutor

Hi,

If my research is correct then it is not a case of all modems need to be replaced.

Rather that some modems have the required chipset but have not have them 

programmed or enabled by the manufacturer. 

Having said this then it is possible to upgrade the firmware to maintain the

NBN connection without the cost of a new modem.

Example The VigorNIC 132 has the chip set and can be upgraded to use SOC and ROC.

In closing before you buy a new modem check the manufacturers website for firmware

updates. My VigorNIC 132 is now SOS and ROC capable.

Cheers.

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7