Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Should i buy the DGND3700???

guest_05
Aspirant

Should i buy the DGND3700???

Hi guys,

I really need to buy a new router - the only features i want are wireless-n and a USB port to use for backup.

I'm just about to go and buy the DGND3700 - as it get's great reviews...

BUT...

There seem to be a LOT of complaints from people about it dropping out.

Can i ask if you owners would recommend it - and if the the connection problem has been fixed?

Cheers!
Message 1 of 16
BitStream
Aspirant

At the moment I simply cannot recommend this router to anybody. It is a flagship product yet the worst router I have ever owned in terms of not doing what it says on the box. Maybe when/if Netgear release a firmware fix then it will be worth considering but as there is no sign of this in the near future save your money and get a much cheaper alternative. Mine is sitting on the shelf and I'm back using my trusty old DGN2000 which is rock solid and never drops my DSL.
Message 2 of 16
guest_05
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply bitstream.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Netgear DGN2200 -- it's been a great router, but now need wireless-n and a USB port.

I actually ordered a NETGEAR WNR2200 -- but didn't realise that it doesn't include a modem! D'oh! That was a waste of £40.00. I wish it was made clearer!

I'm thinking about getting the NETGEAR DGN2200 now.

I would like the speed and features of the DGND3700 -- but the bad reviews of the dropping out are really putting me off 😞
Message 3 of 16
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

dgn2xxx series also seems to have LAN port failure issues.

I would use separate DSL modem and choice of wireless router is the better options
Message 4 of 16
Morelli
Aspirant

Since an initial issue with viewing the DGND3700 help pages (the firmware update seemed to have been corupted during initial download) the modem router has been rock solid - shame I can't say the same about BT ability to provide a steady ADSL line.
There are 2 PCs and a laptop, with occasional phones, connected.
Message 5 of 16
ian1964
Aspirant

guest-05 - I really cannot recommend this router at all. The disconnect issues are maddening and there is no fix available as yet. It may be that this issue is isolated and related to certain ADSL characteristics but it would be a bit of a gamble as most users seem to have other routers working fine. I have reverted to my BT 2700HGV which is rock solid on the same line.

My DGND3700 is going back to PC World and I'm going to look at a separate modem and router solution for wireless-n now.
Message 6 of 16
guest_05
Aspirant

Thanks for the replies guys -- it really does sound like netgear need to get a firmware out of this router ASAP.

Do the staff check this forum?

This is one person who has been put-off their top product because of users who cannot recommend it. 😞

I've always had a netgear router - and i've never had a single problem. Please get the amazing looking DGND3700 working as good as it sounds!!!
Message 7 of 16
Joe_
Apprentice

guest_05 wrote:
Do the staff check this forum?

It's like the Shadow - "Nobody knows..."

This is one person who has been put-off their top product because of users who cannot recommend it. 😞

IMO, in this case it's deserved. You're just wasting your breath. Do yourself a favor and don't send up your stress level.
Message 8 of 16
keith_thfc
Tutor

Just to echo what others have said - I would strongly advise to steer well clear of this product as its still not fit for purpose & Netgear support won't even acknowledge the issues.
Message 9 of 16
dewi
Tutor

There's no way that I would recommend buying this product at the moment.
Message 10 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

At some stage I would have liked to get a particular friend to purchase one of these so that it is a little easier to share certain documents via VPN.

Unfortunately I find myself holding back until these bugs are resolved.

An alternative solution would be to purchase a Cable router and run it off her existing router. Unfortunately I gather that many of the high end Netgear routers have a similar issue.
Message 11 of 16
Joe_
Apprentice

Scubbie wrote:
Unfortunately I gather that many of the high end Netgear routers have a similar issue.

You been following those forums too it seems. 😉
Message 12 of 16
Behr
Aspirant

I could not recommend it to anyone. I bought it to replace DGN2000 thinking it will be faster and have more robust wireless over long distances. But after trying two different DGND3700s for the last few months (first one's DSL port died necessitating a replacement), it's been a disaster. Devices keep disappearing from the network and cannot renew DHCP leases without being rebooted. Mysterious connection slowdowns occur which are fixed by rebooting the router. The fast WLAN shows 20% signal strength when putting a laptop next to the router. Every little change in configuration requires a 2-minute reboot. There seems to be absolutely zero support in terms of improved firmware, at least for the EU version. I now went back to DGN2000 and am thinking of alternatives.
Message 13 of 16
Scubbie
Apprentice

Behr wrote:
...Devices keep disappearing...cannot renew DHCP leases...slowdowns occur...fast WLAN shows 20% signal strength...configuration requires a 2-minute reboot...absolutely zero support...

(apologies for the editing needed to summarise your issues)

With regards to the devices disappearing, DHCP issues, slow down & signal strength, I haven't experienced any of these. I would suggest that this router may be faulty.

Yes it is true that many apparently simple changes do require a reboot of the rooter. Knowing that it can take several minutes to restart is annoying, but once you have configured the router to how you wish to use it, do backup the settings so that you can restore them should you need to clear the router.

As for support, well that's a mixed answer. It appears that staff from Netgear do not post on this forum. However their responses through the official channels have been good on the whole.

As for how good this router is: Keep watching the forums.
Message 14 of 16
bilbonvidia
Novice

the openDNS parental controls do not work if that is a factor.
Message 15 of 16
BitStream
Aspirant

Like Scubbie I'm now running the latest beta firmware and so far the drop outs have not reoccurred. In all other respects the router now seems to be performing well but I have not had sufficient time to complete comprehensive tests. It certainly appears that Netgear are on track fixing the issues with this router.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7