Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow Speeds with D7800 after reboot

Grazo
Aspirant

Slow Speeds with D7800 after reboot

Hi all,

I have an issue with the router.  I'm in Australia with a FTTH connection.  i normally get speeds around 90/10.  I believe the firmware updated recently and now my speeds have dropped to about 8/2.  I rebooted, powered off, re-set the QoS setting and it fixes it but only for a day or so.  Overnight the speeds will drop back to 8/2.

Current Firmware: V1.0.1.56

The log shows this, which I believe means the update was recent:

[Initialized, firmware version: V1.0.1.56] Thursday, September 05, 2019 06:33:19

Wasn't having this problem previously. although I've only had the router for a week or so.  It replaced a FritzBox which was issued by my ISP because I was having constant dropouts

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Re: Slow Speeds with D7800 after reboot

Sorry, I should add that the router is connected by ethernet cable and this is not solely a wirless issue

Message 2 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Can anyone help with this? I've done the factory reset, i've gone back to a previous version, I've tried switching QoS on and off, I've even purchased a new power adpator in case the old one had issues.

I re-boot, I get good speeds for a few hours (90/10) and then it seems to gradually slow down to the point it gets to 8/5 and I can't even watch HD streaming.  Today it took 6 hours to go from great to garbage.

Message 3 of 18

FTTH? That's Fiber to the Home.

Is that your flavour of NBN?

What is an NBN network and is my NETGEAR DSL modem router compatible? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

The D7800 is a DSL modem/router. It doesn't work as a modem for FTTH.

If you are using it as a router, bypassing the modem bit, then ensure that you have plugged into the WAN socket, the red one on the back.

If your Internet has a modem of some sort upstream of the D7800, then try putting the D7800 into wireless access point mode.

Message 4 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

thanks will try that. 

Message 5 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Yesterday I did a full power cycle of the router and the Hills Home Hub (which acts as the modem).  I then slowly added one ethernet connection at a time after my internet was back and monitored the speed.  It's been OK for about 18 hours, which is a good stretch comparitively.  Fingers crossed this resolves the issue

Message 6 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Slow speeds are back!  Didn't last 24 hours...

Message 7 of 18

We still have not got an answer to the fundamentak question.

Why are you trying to use a DSL modem on an FTTH Internet connection?

That simply does not make sense.

Message 8 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Firstly, the link provided by you above says that you CAN use this model for a FTTH connection.

Secondly, your point might make more sense if I couldn't get it to work.  But I can, and it's fast (for Australian internet anyway).  The issue I have is that for some unknown reason it slows to a crawl after a few hours, and it doesn't appear to be a congestion issue because it's not at particular times of the day.

Right now would be considered peak time and i'm getting almost the highest speed.

Message 9 of 18

@Grazo wrote:

Firstly, the link provided by you above says that you CAN use this model for a FTTH connection.

Yes, BUT NOT AS A MODEM. That article is misleading.

You have to configure the D7800 correctly. And how you configure it depends on what else is on your network.

@Grazo wrote:

The issue I have is that for some unknown reason it slows to a crawl after a few hours, and it doesn't appear to be a congestion issue because it's not at particular times of the day.

This could be down to the configuration of the D7800 and how you have connected it to the network (see above).

You say:

the Hills Home Hub (which acts as the modem)

What is this Hills Home Hub?

Most things that call themselves a "Home Hub" are modem/routers. If you have one of those, that could well be the source of the problem.

If this Hills Home Hub is simply a LAN socket in the wall, then that is less likely.

As you will see from this:

Search - NETGEAR Communities – D7800 NBN

people in Oz mostly use the D7800 on different flavours of NBN.

Message 10 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

The Hills Home Hub is the LAN socket in the wall.

NBN in Australia is one type of Fibre Connection.  Opticomm is another, and that's what I have.  They're both FTTH connections, so I need to know if there is something special I need to do in the Netgear's configuration.

Message 11 of 18

@Grazo wrote:

NBN in Australia is one type of Fibre Connection.  Opticomm is another, and that's what I have. 

In that case, the Netgear article, and its compatibility listing, may not apply in your circumstances.

@Grazo wrote:

They're both FTTH connections...

You may have FTTH, but a lot of NBN is not FTTH.

I assume that you have consulted Opticomm.

Message 12 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Opticomm manage the network, they don't deal directly with end users.  You need to go through your ISP's Tech Support and they will log the problem after going through the standard process of making sure it's not device or hardware related.

We did all that, my ISP logged the fault with Opticomm who ran their diagnostics and got back to my ISP to say the service was fine and it's device related.  That's when I purchased the D7800.  Again, it's working fine now.  But in a matter of hours the speed will degrade all the way down and it will become usless for streaming HD.  And I'll reboot and start again.  Was just reaching out to see if anyone else had experienced this particular issue

Message 13 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Still happening.  No resolution.  Netgear Support closed the ticket because my speed was back to normal (temporarily).

Just garbage really...

Message 14 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Can someone confirm if the D7800 supports VLAN tagging?
Message 15 of 18

@Grazo wrote:
Can someone confirm if the D7800 supports VLAN tagging?

There is a support for the D7800, including a manual, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> D7800 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Message 16 of 18
Grazo
Aspirant

Just to close this one off.  I gave up on solving the issue.  I've tried another router.  I don't think this router is suitable for FTTP connections.

Message 17 of 18

Good thinking. The conclusion I came to a week ago.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7