Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow remote file access using N300 wireless router (other routers OK)

writerman
Aspirant

Slow remote file access using N300 wireless router (other routers OK)

I have recently completed developing an Android app that needs to read files from a Windows PC across a wireless network. The app works well and quickly, using a variety of routers. I have tried it using my domestic WiFi (Virgin Media Router), an old LinkSys (WAG54GS) and an equally ancient Netgear DG834G v2 and in each case the files are read quickly and efficiently.

The problem only happens when I use the Netgear N300 ADSL+ router owned by the club for whom I am writing the software. When I attempt to use this router I get a 21 second delay on the first file I attempt to open in any batch of files. The Android app uses SMB to access the share. When I attempt to create a new SmbFileInputStream object for the target file, the new object call takes 21 seconds to return but ONLY when using the Netgear N300. With all the other routers mentioned above, creating the SmbFileInputStream is virtually instantaneous. Also, if I open further files immediately afterwards (from the same process), the second and subsequent files open immedately.

Note that I am using the same PC, the same Android device and the same software in each case. The only variable is the router. I have examined the router configuration carefully and cannot see anything wrong. Can anyone think of a reason why this particular router should cause such a long delay opening a remote file when none of the others do?

Kind regards

Keith Sheppard

Model: R2000|N300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Slow remote file access using N300 wireless router (other routers OK)

Hello writermen

Have you made sure you are using the latest firmware? you also may want to try and factory reset the modem and then set it up again.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
writerman
Aspirant

Re: Slow remote file access using N300 wireless router (other routers OK)

Darren
Thanks for your suggestions. I shall certainly try next time I get my hands on the router in question. Unfortunately, it belongs to the bridge club so I have to work around when they need it to find a suitable time for experimentation.
Keith
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7