Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Slower internet speeds after upgrading to DM200

harry_cameron
Aspirant

Slower internet speeds after upgrading to DM200

Hi,

I just upgraded from the BT HomeHub 5 to a DM200 Modem to go along with my Nighthawk X6 and for some reason my internet speed has dropped by about 10Mbps since upgrading. Any ideas why?

Thanks

Message 1 of 8

@harry_cameron wrote:

my internet speed has dropped by about 10Mbps since upgrading. Any ideas why?

Wired or wifi?

From what speed to what speed?

Message 2 of 8
harry_cameron
Aspirant

Both Wired and wireless there is a drop from about 50Mbps to 40Mbps

Message 3 of 8
harry_cameron
Aspirant

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 8

How are you testing the speed? I was amazed to find that when I use the BT speed test I can get half the speed when I use Firefox compared to other browsers. I also see quite a bit of variation between the half a dozen or so test sites that I use.

Have you put the DM200 into modem only mode?

Is the firmware on your modem up to date?

I recently started playing with a router. That entailed turning my D6400 into router only mode. I don't notice much difference with the Nighthawk I am using.

Message 5 of 8
harry_cameron
Aspirant

I was using speedtest.net for the speed testing, the modem firmware is up to date and I will test the modem only mode

Message 6 of 8
harry_cameron
Aspirant

For some reason if I put it into Modem only mode it breaks my internet, I am using a powerline to connect the Modem to the Router so that might affect something

Message 7 of 8

@harry_cameron wrote:

...I am using a powerline to connect the Modem to the Router so that might affect something

That may explain everything. That is not how Powerline is designed to work. The modem should be connected to the router.

As it is, you now have two repeaters fighting each other to control the network and manage IP addresses.

If you cannot connect the router to the modem directly for some reason, you might do better to turn the Nighthawk router into an access point.

You current layout is highly likely to mess things up. For example, the Powerline connection speed will never be as good as direct Ethernet. If you have older AV500 Powerline devices, their LAN ports are stuck at 100 Mbps. Only the '1000' plugs have Gb Ethernet. But that won't be as fast as clean Ethernet, especially if it is trying to handle all the traffic that is going through the Nighthawk.

In effect, you have put a bottleneck in the network. That will still be there if you turn the Nighthawk into an access point.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7