Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Speed Issues D7800

OldWolf
Aspirant

Speed Issues D7800

I wonder if anyone can offer some advice. I just had a BT engineer visiting to look at some line issues. This is all resolved but talking to him raised some other issues:

My fibre optic (that's fibre to cabinet only) connection was measured by the engineer to run at around 43 Mbps. Speed measured coming into my property is around 30 Mbps. This is when it gets throttled automatically to allow for data loss and to improve reliability, even though he said that the line was good quality. My IP profile is set at 40 or 38 Mbps.

However, if I measure speeds on my Mac using various services (e.g. Ookla), the download speed only shows as around 20 Mbps. This is the same for different servers and also WiFi and cable.

Somewhere between the line wall socket and my Mac I am losing 10 Mbps, it seems. Is this normal?

If 30 Mbps come into my property but only 20 arrive at my Mac, could my router be at fault somehow? Is there any way to reliably measure the speed coming out of my router?

Grateful for any useful input.

Wolf

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 3

Re: Speed Issues D7800

@OldWolf wrote:

My fibre optic (that's fibre to cabinet only) connection was measured by the engineer to run at around 43 Mbps. Speed measured coming into my property is around 30 Mbps. This is when it gets throttled automatically to allow for data loss and to improve reliability, even though he said that the line was good quality. My IP profile is set at 40 or 38 Mbps.

However, if I measure speeds on my Mac using various services (e.g. Ookla), the download speed only shows as around 20 Mbps. This is the same for different servers and also WiFi and cable.

I doubt if the modem/router is to blame.

A single speed test is not reliable. Try a few different test sites. Including:

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Maybe that's what you mean by "servers".

And do it with a wired browser rather than Netgear's on-board test. Also test during the day to spot "congestion".

If this is a recent setup, the IP profile may creep up. It can take a day or two to settle down.

That's a pretty crummy connection if 43 Mbps delivers 20 Mbps. But I don't know where the technician (they are not engineers) measured that 43 Mbps.

Message 2 of 3
OldWolf
Aspirant

Re: Speed Issues D7800

I have tried various services and there is no appreciable difference. WiFi and wired also makes no real difference.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7