Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Static WAN IP on DGND3700...?

JonHails
Novice

Static WAN IP on DGND3700...?

Hi,

I have just got a new DGND3700 to replace my trusty DG834Gv4, and all looks good so far with 1 issue:

When configured for a Static WAN address, it will sync up, but not connect, status page shows 0.0.0.0 and just sits there doing nothing, even having left it for 50 mins to see if it would connect. When switched back to Dynamically assigned, it works fine & connects instantly, but I need to use the static address for my corporate VPN access.

I know the Static address is fine, as the DG834 will connect up using that address, just wondering if I have missed anything?

It it a UK BT Line, PPPoA with VPI set at 0, and VCI set at 38, which has always worked fine on other routers I have used on this line...

Any ideas at all? thanks in advance!
Message 1 of 12
zird2
Aspirant

If you want to use a static WAN ip, you have to make sure that you buy these ip adresses from your ISP. then you have to manually set it on the basic settings of your netgear DGND3700. Because if it is working with the dynamic connection most likely your connection from ISP is dynamic and you need to purchase a static ip from them...
Message 2 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Since you already using static ip with dg834 before and still works with it so I would check with ISP. With dsl I don't think you have any issues if you use same static on new routers. Should not sow 0.0.0.0 if you use static ip
Message 3 of 12
JonHails
Novice

Thanks both, as I mentioned in my original post, I already have a static IP I have purchased, which works on my original DG834G... I also borrowed a 3Com OfficeConnect router from a colleague & tried the Static IP on that too, which worked OK.

The issue appears to be around the DGND3700, and is probably around the initial firmware release, I have raised a Warranty call with Netgear also, but just wondering if anyone had a Static IP working with the DGND3700?

Thanks.
Message 4 of 12
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Contact support at my.Netgear.com
Message 5 of 12
mergs
Tutor

I'm hoping it wont be long before Netgear releases a bug fix for this modem-router.
It seems that there are a few bugs with this unit. It does work well, it just needs some fine tuning.
Message 6 of 12
JonHails
Novice

Case raised with Netgear, several e-mails and eventually some phone calls, all the usual "reset to factory defaults & try again" type stuff, until they agreed that the unit was probably at fault, and duly charged me £15.00 to ship another device out.

New unit arrived, and it displays exactly the same issue, which I suspected might happen, I believe there is a buggy 1st release of firmware that needs a few things sorting out... now will Netgear actually refund me for the shipping the second unit... TBC!

Netgear techies now looking for "additional resources" to help solve the problem, oh joy!
Message 7 of 12
theTechman05
Aspirant

My presales support email to netgear says nothing is wrong so there won't be a new firmware update.
Message 8 of 12
smithphilip1
Aspirant

I had same issue.

Heres how you fix the problem.

1. Flash with downloaded firmware! That's it.

Worked for me, just downloading the firmware file from netgear and flashing it, then it would accept and save my static IP. This also fixed setting and saving my DNS server settings.
Message 9 of 12
JonHails
Novice

Thanks,

Just tried that, and (as on the original router too!) it made no difference at all, after re-flashing with the same version of firmware downloaded from Netgear, still the same results... oh well!

Have sent screen dumps, backup configs and logs from a working DG834G, as well as from the DGND3700, and all has gone quiet...

Will report any results as and when (if!) it is fixed. Am now seriously considering a Cisco 877, a bit pricey but bullet proof apparently!

Slightly let-down end user...!
Message 10 of 12
JonHails
Novice

Latest update, still doesn't work with a Static WAN IP, even after 2 x engineering firmwares from Netgear, and now on 1.0.0.17 General Release firmware, I am really losing faith with the product...!

I'm still using the DG834, as it works perfectly, and I now have an expensive doorstop in the shape of the DGND3700. The total lack of response from Netgear on thier support site too is frustrating to say the least.

You wouldn't have thought that the ability to use a Static WAN IP address was that tricky when earlier models cope fine with it, or is that just me?
Message 11 of 12
malbry
Aspirant

You could use the DG384 as your modem and the DGND3700 as your wifi router. That's what I've done with my DGND3300 and DGND3700 (they are connected together by an ethernet cable) to work around known bugs in both devices. Not ideal - in fact quite frustrating - but maybe workable until a new firmware release (hopefully) sorts things out.

Best regards,
Malcolm
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7