Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sudden connection drops with D6400 router

rebeus
Tutor

Sudden connection drops with D6400 router

Hi,

The router keeps disconnecting every couple of hours and this only started to happen last night.

My router is running the latest firmware: V1.0.0.70_1.0.70. This update was applied when i installed the router on 25th December 2017

Since that time my router was working fine with no drops in connection. I've been using the Netgear Microfilter and DSL cable too. The router has always been connected to the Master Socket since that date.

I have also noticed that when the connection drops, the speed drops too.

I typically recieve 48Mb speed and 9MB upload speed. Now when the connection drops, and router reconnects the download speed is at 13Mb.

My ISP is TalkTalk. When i configured the router i used the Netgear Genie to configure it. I didn't have to supply my TalkTalk credentials either. My a Dynamic IP address which is given to me by my ISP. The DNS servers i'm using are OpenDNS servers.

I've tried turning off and turning on the router from the power outlet.

I had the following devices connecting to the router:

• iPhone
  • Android Phone
  • Android Tablet
  • Windows 10 laptop using WIFI
  • Windows 10 Desktop over ethernet

I've disconnected all devices except my Windows 10 Desktop from the router.

Any advice what i can try next?

Thanks,

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

Re: Sudden connection drops with D6400 router

@Case850 wrote:

>>> I typically recieve 48Mb speed and 9MB upload speed. Now when the connection drops, and router reconnects the download speed is at 13Mb.

This usually indicates a IPS line problem. You should be able to check the DSL Port stats ADVANCED > Show Statistics      (Box on the right).

Take a screenshot and post.

I contacted my ISP. They state that the line is managed by Dyanamic Line Management which determines the speed i am recieving.

I rebooted the Netgear router and speed is now at 43Mb with 10Mb upload.

The router now disconnects yesterday around 10pm after 1 day and 15 hours or so. Then after that it connected for 2 hours and disconnected. When i woke up this morning around 6am it was connected for 6 hours and 2 minutes.

I've reconnected my ISP supplied Modem Router and see how that goes for the next 24 hours. 

Message 2 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

@Case850 wrote:

When you reboot the router it tries to connect to the DSLAM at the highest possible connection speed. If it encounters noise or errors it will then negotiate a lower speed.

Regardless of which modem-router is connected you should still monitor the DSL port statistics. Calling the ISP without that data will not get you very far. Remember, the ISP never has a problem unless you can prove it.

Oh i see. I only have one telephone socket in the house so hopefully this will make things easier to diagnose.

Forgot to mention in my previous post, when i connected my ISP supplied router i connected it using the DSL cable and microfilter supplied by the ISP.

I do agree with you, the ISP never has a problem unless i can prove it which is why I will monitor the DSL port statistics and report back. 

Message 3 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

@Case850 wrote:

>>> Forgot to mention in my previous post, when i connected my ISP supplied router i connected it using the DSL cable and microfilter supplied by the ISP.

Just to clarify, what DSL technology are you using? Do you also have a telephone on the same line?

I'm using VDSL. Telephone is on the same line.

Here are noise/attentuation stats from my ISP provided Router:

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 9.8
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB): 8.4
Upstream interleave depth: 0
Downstream interleave depth: 0
Line standard: VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB): 31.6
Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14.6 

Message 4 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

@Case850 wrote:

>>> Upstream line attenuation (dB): 31.6
>>> Downstream line attenuation (dB): 14.6 

Upstream line attenuation is normally half that of downstream line attenuation. Is this a typo?

Do you have any statistics that show errors (CRC) on the line?

No it wasn't a typo. The stats in my previous post was when the connection was at 43mb. I couldnt see CRC errors in the logs because the log level was set to information by default. I've set the log level to debug now. Is this where the CRC errors get logged usually?

My current connection speed is at 13Mb and here are the stats:

Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):10.5
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):17.4
Upstream interleave depth:0
Downstream interleave depth:0
Line standard:VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):31.6
Downstream line attenuation (dB):14.8

Message 5 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

wrote:

@rebeus, update??

Apologies for the delay,  i was away for work for few days. I've contacted my ISP. They informed me that they are going to issue an Engineer to visit the property to investigate.

I left my router (ISP provided router) connected to the Master Socket and the speed is at 43Mb for past 2 days without dropping the connection.

Do you think its still worth the Engineer to visit despite the router being connected for 2 days straight?

Message 6 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

wrote:

It's all about the numbers as per Post 10. If they have not improved then there is still a problem that needs to be fixed.

Hi,

An Engineer visited this morning and he conducted a 4 tests to see if there is actually a fault at the property. A fault could not be found on line during the tests.

He's given me a filter plate which has 2 ports on: 1 for Landline and 1 for Broadband. I've connected my phone to the landline port and the broadband DSL cable to the broadband port and one end to the ISP router

He's advised to leave my router connected for 48 hours and see if it drops connection.

Message 7 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

wrote:

Did he look at the numbers being reported by the router?

The line could be dropping and you not notice it.

You need to use the stats on the router, that is why they have them.

He didn't look at the  ISP router stats because ISP router is not their property. My ISP is using a different provider to provide Fibre broadband. That provider sent their own engineer out to investigate.

He stated that the results from the line test are shared with the ISP which includes sync speed, attenuation etc.

I've contacted my ISP and i'm awaiting a response from them regarding the tests engineer had conducted and what he told me.

Message 8 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

A quick update. I recieved a response from my ISP. ISP advise to leave their router connected for next 24 hours and report back if connection drops.

Message 9 of 10
rebeus
Tutor

@Case850wrote:

Did he look at the numbers being reported by the router?

The line could be dropping and you not notice it.

You need to use the stats on the router, that is why they have them.

Hi,

I've been issued a new router from my ISP. Here are the current stats from it:

UpLink / DownLink
SNR Margin: 9.3 dB / 6.8 dB
Line Attenuation: 3.8 dB / 13.9 dB
Output Power: 7.0 dbm / 12.1 dbm
Data Rate: 9999 kbps / 49024 kbps
ES: 4 / 234
SES: 0 / 30
UAS: 48 / 48
FEC: 18 / 82285
CRC: 5 / 1181

No idea how they adjusted the attenuation on the line. Because when the ISP did a line test and gave me a brand new prefiltered socket the attenuation was still high.

My new ISP router is still connected to the prefiltered socket so i'll monitor it for next couple of days and then reconnect the Netgear router.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7