Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Telstra Gateway + Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router or Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

LeoElite
Aspirant

Telstra Gateway + Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router or Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

I just wanted the community's opinion on whether I would be better off using a Telstra Gateway as a modem with a Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router or if I would just be better off using a Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router?

Thank you.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 6
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Telstra Gateway + Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router or Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Hello LeoElite 

Either way is good whatever is easier for you to do.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 6
raven_au
Virtuoso

Re: Telstra Gateway + Nighthawk AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router or Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router

Doesn't the Telstra Gateway provide VoIP services too?

What will you use for telephony if you eliminate the Telstra decice?

Umm ... but I am assuming you have an NBN connection ... if not this is probably irrelevant.

Message 3 of 6
LeoElite
Aspirant

I gave Mat Hammer from Netgear a call and he has suggested to use the Telstra Gateway as the modem for VoIP purposes and to actually set the Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router as a router only. Main reason for that was that the X4S has newer hardware than the X6. The only thing that the X6 has that is better is the Tri-Band technology.

Message 4 of 6
raven_au
Virtuoso

@LeoElite wrote:

I gave Mat Hammer from Netgear a call and he has suggested to use the Telstra Gateway as the modem for VoIP purposes and to actually set the Nighthawk X4S VDSL/ADSL Modem Router as a router only. Main reason for that was that the X4S has newer hardware than the X6. The only thing that the X6 has that is better is the Tri-Band technology.

You mean, use it as an access point and disable the wireless on the Telstra Gateway, right?

That's certainly one way to do it.

Message 5 of 6
LeoElite
Aspirant

Yes, exactly right. 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7