Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

UK modem for Plusnet Fibre Service using Nighthawk X12 rax120

ezeman
Follower

UK modem for Plusnet Fibre Service using Nighthawk X12 rax120

I was using a draytek vigor 130 which has been good but lately it keeps dropping the dsl signal so i need to buy a replacement. Does netgear supply a modem that would work well with my nighthawk x12 rax120? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good modem to se with fibre in the UK?

I have heard that the draytek's are not good when a lot of traffic is going through them and my traffic has increased. 

Thanks for your suggestions and doesn't necessarily have to ne a netgear modem.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2

Re: UK modem for Plusnet Fibre Service using Nighthawk X12 rax120

@ezeman wrote:

Does netgear supply a modem that would work well with my nighthawk x12 rax120? Does anyone have any suggestions for a good modem to se with fibre in the UK?

There's a problem in there. You mention DSL and then ask about fibre.

Just about every Internet service has fibre in there somewhere. The question is where does it end? When people say they have fibre, they usually mean that it is what comes in the front door. DSL has fibre to the cabinet, BT's green box down the road. The final stretch is over the copper network.

So, what sort if modem are you after? I know that Plusnet has both genuine and faux fibre.

The Draytek Vigor 130 is a DSL modem. If you are looking for a replacement, you may be out of luck. Netgear has all but abandoned the DSL modem only market. Indeed, few brands are still active in that business. I have no idea why. Perhaps ISPs are trying to get rid of stuff that they cannot control. (Cable modems have been like that for years.)

The ideal DSL modem from Netgear is the DM200. But you may have a hard time finding one. When I needed a second one for my other line I had to go to the "open box" market. What I got looked suspiciously brand new, with all the bits of plastic protection you'd expect on a new device. I even paid about the same price that I coughed up for the first "official" one. They don't seem to be around now.

There are second hand DM200s out there. If they still work there is no reason why they should not soldier on.

You can buy new modem/routers. But these can cause problems. I dumped a D6400 because it took too long  to negotiate an Internet connection that the router behind it times out, leaving me with a dead network. No problem if you are there when it happens, but a pain of there is a power cut when you are away.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7