Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB Drive connected to D7000v2 not detected by Windows 10 laptop

gensol
Follower

USB Drive connected to D7000v2 not detected by Windows 10 laptop

My Win10 laptop does not show the USB drive attached to my Nighthawk AC1900 (Router D7000v2)

I have tried WD 4Tb Elements, WD 4Tb MyBook and Seagate 4Tb Expansion drives and even replaced the AC1900.

Netgear USB Control Centre will detect the USB printer attached to the router but not the external HDD.

Your help would be appreciated.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Re: USB Drive connected to D7000v2 not detected by Windows 10 laptop

Turn on SMB 1!

Message 2 of 5
plemans
Guru

@gensol wrote:

My Win10 laptop does not show the USB drive attached to my Nighthawk AC1900 (Router D7000v2)

I have tried WD 4Tb Elements, WD 4Tb MyBook and Seagate 4Tb Expansion drives and even replaced the AC1900.

Netgear USB Control Centre will detect the USB printer attached to the router but not the external HDD.

Your help would be appreciated.

What firmware is your D7000v2 on?

Are you having only problems with windows seeing the drive or is it problems with the router seeing the drive?

If its the router, there's a few steps you can try. Be warned that if your drive requires drivers to be install, there's less of a chance the drives will work.  also, 4tb and above drives seem to stuggle to works in my experience. Page 115 of the manual lists the requitements for drives. I'll have the manual at the end.

1. make sure you're in the proper format for the drive. Certain formats won't work.  See the manual for the formats.

2. make sure if the drive has the option for external power, use it

3. Try different ports. Its been found that some drives will work on the usb 3.0 port but not the 2.0 and vice versa. Not sure why but I've read several reports on here about that.

4. make sure the ports are turned on in settings. I know you say the printer is attached and working but it needs to be mentioned.

Again make sure you're on the current firmware. You're most current is 1.0.0.53

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/D7000v2/D7000v2_UM_EN.pdf

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/D7000v2.aspx

Message 3 of 5

Message 4 of 5
IrvSp
Master

@michaelkenward wrote:

@IrvSp wrote:

Turn on SMB 1!

For more on that, read this:

Solved: ALL Netgear USB Drive Mapping Issues ReadyShareCo... - NETGEAR Communities

That posting is WRONG.... although it might apply to the R9000 (I think @schumaku  and @antinode might disagree) the work was partially done on at least the R7000 and R8000. As I've posted here in many threads, SMB 3 IS enabled and running on those routers. However a specific WSD protocol must also be active on the router to be able to see shares with SMB 3. NG has not done this and support refused to do it because "it is not in the spec's", hence for probably most NG routers SMB 1 on W10 MUST be enabled.

This is in direct conflict (and how it works) with the link you gave, https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/filecab/2016/09/16/stop-using-smb1/. Down towards the bottom under Explorer Network Browsing is this under #3:

=============

3. Now all Windows devices within that subnet that have these settings in place will appear in Network for browsing. This uses the WS-DISCOVERY protocol. Check with your other vendors and manufacturers if their devices still do not appear in this browse list after Windows devices appear; it is likely they have this protocol disabled or only support SMB1.

=============

Again, SMB 3 IS running on the R7000 and R8000 routers, and I suspect ALL NG routers. WSD IS NOT, hence the need to run SMB 1.

This is my last answer from Support before they offered to BUY BACK my R8000:

=================

Case #: 40737880
Case Summary: R8000 - Router does not support SMB2. Related to case 00282406_L2 Paul 
Product: R8000

Update from NETGEAR
Hi Irv,

I received an update from L3 for this case. As per engineering, we do not support WSD and it's not defined in our router spec. We do not claim that we support it and there's no plan to support it for now.

Regards,

Paul
Expert ID: 46230
NETGEAR L2 Support Expert
==================
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements