Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

USB connected to DGND3700 keeps disconnecting every once in a while

NutZInTheHead
Aspirant

USB connected to DGND3700 keeps disconnecting every once in a while

Hi everyone.

I bought the Netgear DGND3700 and it arrived today which replaced my old DG834G v3 modem/router. I set up everything fine as usual and at last I wanted to use the USB ready share that I had been so excited about. I connected my external hard drive and it was set up fine. I accessed the drive from my network and to test it I opened up a high def movie to stream it on to my laptop using the 2.4GHz wireless. And my laptop is sitting just beside the router. After playing the movie about 1 to 2 minutes the movie stops and it doesn't read it anymore. This happens all the time and not just once.
So I decided to do more testing. I first played a 480p video and it was the same. Then I decided to use a regular USB drive. Again same thing.

Then I decided to do a better test and that was file transfer. Small files transferred fine but large files bigger than 500MB, halfway through the transfer it stopped.

I have no idea if this is a fault or not because with the specifications, a connected USB 2.0 drive should be able to stream hi-def movies over to the router and transmit it over the wireless N to my laptop.

The reason I say it should be more than capable of this is because with my DG834G is was able to stream movies from my shared desktop through the router and wirelesly to my laptop with no hickups and that was using a slower connection.

So why is this new router being like this.
I have attached relevant images involving the disconnects.

A help on this would be greatly appreciated as I paid a lot for this router and I would be disappointed if it didn't do its job.
Thanks

Message 1 of 4
NutZInTheHead
Aspirant

Re: USB connected to DGND3700 keeps disconnecting every once in a while

One thing I should mention. When connecting my laptop with ethernet cable to the router, there seems to be no disconnection and media streams fine and file transfer works fine too.
This problem happens only when streaming or transferring files over wireless.
Which brings me to this. My old DG834G router with 802.11g was more than capable of file transfers and media streams so why on earth this new DGND3700 with wireless 802.11n cant handle this.
To me this seems like either a firmware fault or something to do with the router that isn't capable of doing its job.
I really would like to hear from people with this same router and see if they have problems like I do.
Thanks.
Message 2 of 4
NutZInTheHead
Aspirant

Ok I missed something that I should hit my head with a hammer now that I think of it. Similar problems occured with my previous router but now I remember that it was the channel that I changed taht resolved the issue. So I did the same with this and so far it seems to be good. I need to do more testing to be 100% sure it is fine.
Lets hope it will be fine. 🙂
Message 3 of 4
Scubbie
Apprentice

Well done on resolving it. Do take a look around the forum though as there are some issues with some external drives.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7