Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to Wake On LAN after 3 days

roller123
Aspirant

Unable to Wake On LAN after 3 days

Hello,

I'm seeking your expert suggestions in relation to Wake On LAN (WOL) functionality. I'd recently tried and tested the WOL functionality to wake up my windows 10 machine that host a bunch of VM servers with a view to access them remotely via internet.

The process I used is given as follows -

1) Enable VPN on Nighthawk X4s D7800 modem

2) Connect remotely (via internet) to the modem

3) Connect to the VPN

4) Use Depicus Wake on LAN (app available on app store for Mac) to broadcast magic packet.

5) Once the machine is booted up, I used to RDP into the machine and boot up my VMs as required.

I've tried and tested the above process a few times before travelling overseas. The last time the above process worked was 3 days ago.

However, after completing step 4 (given above) now, I'm unable to RDP into the machine remotely even though I'm connected to VPN service.

The machine that I need to RDP into has a reseved IP address of 198.168.1.9 which was enabled in the router's advanced setup -> LAN setup-> Address reservation

Questions:-

1) IS there a way I can check that the magic packet is actually reaching the router correctly and doing what it needs to do?

2) Has the above process stopped working because I tried it after 3 days?

3) Is the problem related to missing arp entry in the modem. Is there a way I can fix it by teleneting into the modem remotely and adding a arp entry. I'm not a networking person and therefore unsure how to action this, considering I'm using a Mac whilst I'm travelling. Is there a telnetenable app available for nighthawk modem and will that assist me in this scenario ?

To cover off the obvious points, the router and the windows machine are connected to the same powerpoint.

Any pointers would be useful as I need to urgently connect to my machine.

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 2
antinode
Guru

Re: Unable to Wake On LAN after 3 days

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements