Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to access routerlogin.net

KAYC
Aspirant

Unable to access routerlogin.net

Am unable to access the login page for my new D6400. All setup and properly connected but when trying to access the internet a message pops up that server might require further login details . D6400 Login page won't open so can't enter the necessary access codes. Have tried all the available Netgear get arounds and solutions including a factory reset but still can't get to that all important page. Help much appreciated.  Thank you.

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
KAYC
Aspirant

I'm sure you are right. I'll return it, try another and see what happens. Thank you for taking the time to help.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 25

All Replies
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Did you try using the router's IP address of 192.168.0.1 rather than routerlogin.net?

Message 2 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Hello w3wilkes

Indeed I did- several times over several hours,  rebooted several times, restarted my computer several times, and also tried routerlogin.com, tried various different cables, and connectors. 

Set  up an ethernet connection router/ modem direct to computer but that didn't work either.

I don't have a static IP address.

Finally downloaded Netgear Genie which only brought up the same message (used Chrome and then IE.)

'This site can’t be reached.

The connection was reset.'

Other computer in the house can't reach the log in page either. 

Having failed to set up the new modem/router two days ago, I had to revert to using the old one and for over 24 hours also had that message returned when trying to log in to it. Then suddenly and without reason the old one gave me access again. My computer had been turned on and off several times during that period.  Could this be a time issue?  That the modem/router needs some time to realise it's login page CAN be connected to? 

Having spent the last 14 hours trying the various solutions on offer to no avail, can only assume there is a deep seated problem with the  programming of the router/modem.  Absolutely stumped as to what to do next except send it back as faulty as can't access the internet without the facilty to put in the appropriate server address and password. But then why did I experience the same problem with the old router during the return following attempted change over? Its a mystery! 

Many thanks for your kind reply and my apologies for not responding sooner - but have been busy trying to fix the problem and  get online but still having to use my old Netgear modem/router to do it.

Message 3 of 25
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Since I don't have a D6400 and since others aren't saying "me too" I think you should consider your device defective and get it replaced.

Message 4 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

I'm sure you are right. I'll return it, try another and see what happens. Thank you for taking the time to help.

Message 5 of 25

Sounds very much like a dud, but one word of warning, the wizard for initial setup obscures some settings until you have followed through to the bitter end.

Of course, if you can't get at the D6400, you can 't start the process, let alone get to the end.

How are you connecting to the D6400? LAN, I hope. In which case try a different LAN port, one of the orange ones. The others won't work.

Oh, and try a different browser. And check to see if your antivirus stuff is blocking access. That is no unknown.

Message 6 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Hello again.

I actually sent back the original D6400 in case it was defective having spent 14 hours, trying all the solutions available online even factory reset and still nothing doing. Now have a replacement ( the same model as it has good wifi coverage throughout  this house).  Ran into the same problem with the new one too only this time on its first trying to connect  it didn't flag up a message that said 'your ISP may require additional logon details. Open Browser'.  If I could just add the isp details to the interface like I  had to with my old Netgear I know it will work fine as all the loghts are on and not blinking, and the wireless is detecting both computers and printer/scanner. 

I did indeed try to use the LAN connection D6400  to computer, have four yellow ports and one red port (internet) on the back.  Tried each of the yellow ports but nothing happened as the computer immediately opened the web browser which couldn't connect as couldn't get online.  Feel sure the answer is stupidly simple and I can't see the wood for the trees though a lot of others seem to have the same probem with various brands of modem/routers.

Should I enable the ethernet ? Should i have disabled the wireless connection?  Is there any order in which the system should be booted? Should all the  hardware be on or off when first plugging the D6400 into the wall? That isn't clear from the instructions that come with it.

Oddly enough, on returning to my ancient Netgear I couldn't access the user interface on that either or connect to the internet immediately.  Windows repairs that problem by resetting the wireless adapter but that surely  just deals with the internent connection and I STILL, when online  can't access the login page. Getting rather fed up. Superfast broadband line being installed in  2 days and really wanted to get it set up ready for the change-over so would just have to tweak the settings and not  be reliant on BT Smarthub - am beginning to wonder if BT aren't blocking things at their end.  After about 24 hiurs, Ancient Netgear allowed me  to access intereface  once more  and then disappeared again. My normal computer settings haven't changed in any way - it just seems utterly illogical.

You realise that if you can solve this you will earn the gratitude of multitudes.  Thank you again, am in hopes . . . 

Message 7 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Sorry- brain  dying fast - should also have said turned off Kaspersky, tried Chrome IE and Firefox and tried also to access logon page from our other computer (with this one turned offf) , all to no avail.

Message 8 of 25

@KAYC wrote:
am beginning to wonder if BT aren't blocking things at their end.  After about 24 hiurs, Ancient Netgear allowed me  to access intereface  once more  and then disappeared again.

The D6400 works fine with Infinity. In my case, it automatically switched from ADSL to VDSL (Infinity) with no help from me.

I'm afraid that turning off Kaspersky may not be good enough. This message sums up the problem:

Solved: Re: Unable to reach Router using IP from one PC ho... - NETGEAR Communities

and

Solved: Re: Can access internet, but not router - NETGEAR Communities

Here for a never ending saga:

Search results

Several people have been down this road. Can't connect. Uninstall Kaspersky. Can connect. Reinstall Kaspersky. Can connect.

The LAN connection is the only reliable way of getting in. Without that you cannot set up the wifi.

Does the device show up in Windows?

Open the Network. Look at Network Infrastructure > Right click > View device web page.

That's Windows 10.

Message 9 of 25
w3wilkes
Prodigy

When you're ethernet  connected to the D6400 have you checked to see if the D6400 has given you and IP address (IPCONFIG /ALL - and then checked the ethernet adapter in the output for an IP address)? When you attempt access are you plugged into the WAN/DSL connection or are you attempting to access the router without it being connected to the internet connection? If the D6400 has not given you an IP address you could try hard coding it on your PC with say 192.168.0.10 - subnet mask 255.255.255.0 - gateway 192.168.0.1 and then see if you can access the router at 192.168.0.1. Can you PING the router at 192.168.0.1? These are just some ideas to diagnose your problem, I have no other ideas...

Message 10 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Once again thank you for your input - It's late now so tomorrow will have a go at uninstalling Kaspersky and report back.

I had half assumed that the changeover to VDSL would work without too much effort to tweak settings on my part  so its reassuring that you confirmed that.

The device does show up in my Windows 7 and as I said the wifi is working fine, its just that vital connectuin to the server that's lost.    Fingers crossed - I really am MOSTgrateful.

Message 11 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Even with  your having no other ideas its certainly worth my running through your list of suggestions, some I have already tried but as its late now I will have to go through them more throughly tomorrow and will let you know the result.  I really am most grateful for your help.

Message 12 of 25

@KAYC wrote:
its just that vital connectuin to the server that's lost.

I don't understand that. What server?

http://www.routerlogin.com/

and

http://www.routerlogin.net

are local addresses. There is no server involved.

I mention this because we see regular messages here from people who assume that those address go out to a server run by Netgear. They don't. It is all local.

Message 13 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Hello again Michael

I think I see what you mean.  I am understanding that my server is the same as my internet provider who is BT,  whose broadband service  I can only access by entering their address and passsword into the D6400 router interface.

On trying to access the D6400 user interface my browser immediately attempts to go online.   It does this when the computer and D6400 are connected via a LAN cable (wireless turned off) or with wireless, but of course without entering that info into the user interface  it can't get online

Are you telling me that I should be able to access the D6400  via the ethernet LAN cable connection without going online?   Does that mean I unplug the D6400 from the phone line and/or tell my browser to work offline?  If so I'm not sure how to tell Chrome or IE how to operate offline.  It isn't as straightforward as it used to be when all you had to do was click a button but I can presumably find out. I think I read something in passing that you had to download a web-page and save it as a favourite and then tell it to let you view that offline which of course wouldn't work if you can't see the interface oline first.  This is going round in too many circles  and straying from the point of the question.  

Interestingly my new BT SMart Hub arrived this morning, plugged in and immediately online- but out of curiosity I tried to access its interface - no joy- as you say, it HAS to be Kaspersky thing but as my system and access to my old Netgear interface always worked up until now wihout problems I think it must be something Kaspersky has added  to its daily updates since Oct 10 this year that is causing the problem. Perhaps I should try a rollback before removing the whole program  - or would that be too simple a solution?

Otherwise I'm up to my eyes in work at present and really don't want to waste another day fiddling about. I'd still prefer to use the D6400 and have a choice of DNS server so wll let you know how I get on either re rollback or removal of Kaspersky.

You are being incredibly patient, thank you,  and its been incredibly reassuring knowing that someone out there doesn't write you off as a total idiot .

Message 14 of 25

@KAYC wrote:

Are you telling me that I should be able to access the D6400  via the ethernet LAN cable connection without going online?   Does that mean I unplug the D6400 from the phone line and/or tell my browser to work offline? 

Yes. You can get at the interface without going on line. That is the whole point. Indeed, you have to get in there before you can go on line. Otherwise the modem does not know how to connect.

You don't need to unplug the ADSL line. Or tell your browser to do anything special.

Just point the browser at one of these links:

http://www.routerlogin.com/

and

http://www.routerlogin.net

If you can get in there, the good news is that the setup process for the D6400 is geared up to connecting to BT. So in theory it requires little or no intervention on your part. BUt first you need to get into it.

The BT Homehub has a different address for getting at the modem's interface. Something like 192.168.1.254 for some homehubs.

The Kasperky thing is odd. I don't think anyone has ever got to the bottom of it. And from what I read here Netgear's modem line is not the only victim. Whether it affects you or not seems to be down to the order in which you installed things. Maybe your old modem predates your Kaspersky installation.

I ditched Kaspersky soon after installing it. (Barclays Bank gives it away to customers, and it is worth what I paid for it.) Too many hassles.

Message 15 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Hello again

Right.  Just tried again solely with ethernet cable from  D6400 to my computer without trying to access the internet. Same message appears on browser. 'This site can’t be reached .The connection was reset.'  so still unable to access D6400 interface. Even typing in the Smarthub   192.168.1.154 doesn't bring up an interface.  Its GOT to be KIS hasn't it.?  Have used KIS for years with absolutely no problems until now but discoveed just now that I can't do a rollback on my present installation.  Its going to have be the long route then and take the whole thing off, try and set up Netgear and then re-install.KIS.   What a pain - there goes ANOTHER day.  

Again thank you for your help. Will let you know how things go.

Message 16 of 25

@KAYC wrote:
Its GOT to be KIS hasn't it.?

No one can guarantee that this is the source, but there are enough reports here to suggest that it is worth a try.

You can make life a bit easier by creating a Windows Restore Point just before you remove Kaspersky. Then, if you still can't get at the routers' interfaces you can restore the system and get back to where you were.

I can't remember of Kaspersky leaves any garbage after you remove it and if that means jumping through yet more hoops to remove all traces.

This might be worth a tread before you go any further:

Unable to access router management page with Kaspersky installed | Answer | NETGEAR Support

That is recent advice from Netgear.

Message 17 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Thank you again. Have tried the advice as given on the link you provided and sadly that didn't  help. Also had a look at other answers provided on the  Kaspersky Forum to do with setting as a Local Site as opposed to a Trusted site but that didn't work either. Onviously I'm  just going to have to bite the bullet and take KIS off. In the past it has been a clean uninstall so we'll see.

Just one slsightly mad thought here.  I have a spare computer that I don't use and that doesn't have a recent version of KIS active - has no protection in fact.  If I switched off all our currently connected hardware, i.e. 2 computers and printer/scanner and tried to log on to the Ethernet interface through the old computer  with the ethernet direct to computer do you think that might give me space big enough to change the BT logon details? Or am I daydreaming?

Message 18 of 25
w3wilkes
Prodigy

If you connect the old PC to the new router you shouldn't have a need to shut off any of your other devices.

Message 19 of 25

@KAYC wrote:

Just one slsightly mad thought here.  I have a spare computer that I don't use and that doesn't have a recent version of KIS active - has no protection in fact.  If I switched off all our currently connected hardware, i.e. 2 computers and printer/scanner and tried to log on to the Ethernet interface through the old computer  with the ethernet direct to computer do you think that might give me space big enough to change the BT logon details? Or am I daydreaming?

Far from mad, no you are not daydreaming. I nearly suggested that but I know that not everyone has a pile of computers lying around.

I often use my laptop to get at my Homehub. (It is not in my office where I have three PCs on a LAN.)

As w3wilkes says, this could be a very good strategy. The routers don't care which PC attacks the web interface.

Message 20 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Hello again

Yarooo!  That did the trick!  Dug out old Windows XP laptop  that now has no KIS or any such, linked it to the D6400  with an ethernet cable and got straight through to the user interface.   Entered the passwords for access to BT and while I was there added our device MAC addresses to the trusted wireless list, and switched on the access control, saved and logged out.

Then connected  D6400  to phone socket, switched it on, hit the wireless button and after a short struggle on the part of Windows that seems to have to reset the wireless LAN  each time you switch modem/routers the computers picked  up the signal and we were back online. I can now access the D6400 user interface with no trouble on the home computers. Where now KIS? 

Looks like the fault  is to be laid at the door of Internet Protection, maybe not just KIS and the answer lies in resurrecting old hardware without protection and using that.

MANY MANY Thanks for all your and   w3wilkes'  suggestions and involvement in helping to solve this problem, support is much more than just practical advice.

Message 21 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

Hello again w3wilkes  - replying to you as well as michaelkenward

After todays conversations with you, I dug out an old Windows XP laptop  that now has no KIS or any such, linked it to the D6400  with an ethernet cable and got straight through to the user interface.   Entered the passwords for access to BT and while I was there added our device MAC addresses to the trusted wireless list, and switched on the access control, saved and logged out.

Then connected  D6400  to phone socket, switched it on, hit the wireless button and after a short struggle on the part of Windows that seems to have to reset the wireless LAN  each time you switch modem/routers the computers picked  up the signal and we were back online. I can now access the D6400 user interface with no trouble on the home computers. Where now KIS? 

Looks like the fault  is indeed to be laid at the door of Internet Protection, maybe not just KIS and the answer lies in resurrecting old hardware without protection and using that.

MANY MANY Thanks for all your and  michaelkenward's suggestions and involvement in helping to solve this problem, support is much more than just practical advice.

Message 22 of 25
w3wilkes
Prodigy

Glad you're up and running!

Message 23 of 25

Indeed. Another victim of Kaspersky.

Well done. Your perseverance is impressive.

Message 24 of 25
KAYC
Aspirant

I absolutely HATE to be beaten by technology -  but couldn't have done it without your guidance.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7