Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unable to rename attached devices

Avers
Aspirant

Unable to rename attached devices

Hi All.

I'm having issues where the modem won't retain the names of the connected devices.

But when I go to edit it them it's showing what it was recently changed too.

I've done a factory reset and I'm running on the latest FW 1.0.1.68. The last time this did work was around the time they were having issues with the 2.4ghz so between that FW and the current one it broke. I would like to get this working as nothing worse than seeing a device attached and you have no idea what it is.

Any thoughts?

I'm actually running the D7000 but it's not giving me the option under models for this post.

Thanks.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

@Avers wrote:

I'm actually running the D7000 but it's not giving me the option under models for this post.

That is because you are in the wrong place.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers.

Your devices is a DSL Modem/Router.

You might get better replies, and find other answers, over in the appropriate section:

DSL Modems & Routers - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Avers wrote:

That is because you are in the wrong place. You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. Your devices is a DSL Modem/Router.

Correct, however: On behalf of the many confused users, Netgear does promote the D7000 as AC1900 Nighthawk VDSL/ADSL Modem Router - that does make the confusion complete. For the newer users, the community is kind of a mess, almost impossible to find the right community section. In my opinion, there should be an entry point alowing to type the model number, similar to the https://www.netgear.com/support/ with the "Let's get started. Selecting your model allows us to tailor our support site for you." input field. @ChristineT

Message 3 of 10
Avers
Aspirant

According to my post I have posted in the  correct section as you have suggested along with the top of this thread which reads :

Message 4 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Avers your post was moved by a Netgear moderator, thats why it's here now - everthing is OK. Now the D7000(v1) and the D7000v2 are (among others) available in the Model selection.

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 5 of 10

Indeed. I usually ask them to move misplaced messages.

Putting things in the right place is important, although Netgear doesn't make life easy with its mass of different places, because what works for one range will not be appropriate for different products.

Note that your first message still flags up the wrong product.

Model: D7000v1|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

Note that your first message still flags up the wrong product.

Don't blame the OP - it's not possible to edit the post longer than a few minutes after initially posting it.

Message 7 of 10

@schumaku wrote:

Don't blame the OP - it's not possible to edit the post longer than a few minutes after initially posting it.

Unless this is a Superuser thing, you can edit a message until there is more action in the discussion.

I was not blaming anyone, merely providing evidence that the first message was, indeed, placed in the wrong place and had been moved subsequently.

Message 8 of 10
Avers
Aspirant

Thanks for the update and the request for the post to be moved. I've tried to update the model in the post but I don't think I can anymore unless you can suggest something?

Also anybody got any idea why I can't rename my devices?

Model: D7000v2|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem RouterD7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 9 of 10

Your current footer has it right.

@Avers wrote:

Also anybody got any idea why I can't rename my devices?

Netgear has released a bunch of defective firmware that introduced that bug. Quite a few devices suffered the same fate.

Ironically, the firmware updates were designed to fix security issues.

You have a couple of options: live with it, roll back to an earlier firmware before they broke that bit and hope that it does not wreck something else in the process.

Oh, or wait for Netgear to fix it! Good luck on that one. Sadly, Netgear pays less attention to modem/routers than pure routers. That is why some of us prefer a two-box approach, although that also has its problems.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7