Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to update Firmware

Ty23
Aspirant

Unable to update Firmware

Mac OS Siera 10.12.2 and Firmware on the router 1.0.0.52

Unable to connect with the Netgear server to update the firmware on the router.

Next step was to download from the support site. File downloaded. Upload the file and progress bar runs slowly to 100%. The egg timer is constantly spinning.

Lights on the router remain all the time through the process, never do they go out or flash. I tried a reboot from the app, once again the lights remain on and never flash.

I turned the router off with the power button - lights go out, I turned it on and it all came up running okay - still with the old version of firmware 1.0.0.52

So the app does NOT reboot the router or update the firmware - where to now?

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Unable to update Firmware

Have you guys tried to load the firmware using another web browser?

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 11

All Replies
KenS2016
Aspirant

I am having the same problem at Ty23 -- unable to get my D6400 to apply the 1.0.0.56 firmware update. I have manually downloaded the file (the D6400 never is able to connect with the Netgear server). When I upload the .chk file the progress bar runs slowly to 100% but the update never seems to get applied.  All symptoms are the same as already described by Ty23.  Very frustrating, particularly since this is a security fix so quite important.

All advice is greatly appreciated!

Model: D6400|AC1600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router|802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit
Message 2 of 11
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you guys tried to load the firmware using another web browser?

DarrenM

Message 3 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

I had the same problem even when trying to update using the downloaded firmware. I suspect when this occurs someone has attempted to implement the hack on the router!

I found if I powered off the router then powered on I could perform the update using the download file. Remember always do this via a wired (Ethernet) connection if possible rather than wireless.

Message 4 of 11
KenS2016
Aspirant

Thanks DarrenM, that worked. I was using Safari on my iMac and just tried with Chrome and the update worked.  I don't recall having to use a different web browser with prior firmware upgrades, but that did solve my issue.

Thank you!!

Message 5 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

I used Safari and it worked fine after the re-boot so Safari does work.

Message 6 of 11
Ty23
Aspirant

Thanks DarrenM. I have also just used Chrome and all worked out good.

What is the issue with Safari?

Message 7 of 11
Ty23
Aspirant

Hi M-B. I tried the idea of rebooting the router through the Mac Genie App and that did NOT work either - just a reboot. I then powered the router OFF and then ON and tried the update also no go. What steps did you take for your process using the power OFF/ON method?

Message 8 of 11
M-B
Apprentice
Apprentice

I should have said power off/on rather than re-boot. As you found many controls over the router had been lost and until it was powered off completly and then turned back on I could not update the firmware. As soon as I powered back on I was able to use the router web interface in Safari to upload the new firmware without any problem. I don't use Genie on the Mac as I never found it any good.

Message 9 of 11
KenS2016
Aspirant

Hi M-B, I did try after a power off/on several times, but no luck.  My router controls never seemed compromised otherwise, it just wouldn't apply the firmware update until I tried with a different browser as suggested by Darren.  Just to check, which version of MacOS are your running?  I'm on MacOS 10.12.3 Beta (16D17a) and running a beta version of Safari as well.  Not sure if that matters but it may...

Message 10 of 11
Ty23
Aspirant

Thank you all all for your input and suggestions - it is much appreciated.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7