Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Unusual Device on WIFI Network

Unusual Device on WIFI Network

Firmware Version: V1.0.1.82_1.0.1

Model: Nighthawk D7000

My router is running as a modem and DHCP server. I am running both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks. Guest wifi is closed.

The DHCP server has recently allocated a new wireless device to an IP address but I cannot work out what device it is; it looks suspicious becuase it has been automatically allocated a device name "CHAMELEON-CAD-*MACADDRESS*" the latter part being the actual mac address of the device. I did not allocate a name and no other devices on my network automatically get allocated names.

I have been through every device on my home network and checked the MAC addresses and this one remains unaccounted for.

With that in mind I attempted to boot it off the network. I went into Access Control and blocked the device then but it still appears on the device list.

I then upgraded the firmware to a third party firmware recommended in this forum post and the device was intiially no longer present but after 2-3 days the device has come back. 

Any advice on how to manage this device and work out what it is would be hugely appreciated.

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

have you did a mac address lookup?

https://dnschecker.org/mac-lookup.php

Does it always have the same mac address?

Or does it change?

Message 2 of 10

I've not heard of this serivce before. Thanks man.

It's not found a record on their serice sadly. Is that a further indication that it is something more suspicious (like a mac address being spoofed), or am I catastrophising?

I will keep an eye on the mac address for changes but so far it has remained the same. 

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Any IoT devices, smart thermostats, energy monitors or anything like that on your network? 

when you do a search on that ID, it comes back as an IoT device 

Message 4 of 10

There are 2x smart plugs and 1x thermostat and 1x smart meter, however I've managed to correlate them all to existing mac addresses. Also, I've had them for a while and this device is more recent.

I don't get anything for the MAC address on maclookup. It just gives a small red alert in the bottom right corner saying "Record Not Found."

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

And its a wireless device? 

Does changing your wireless SSID/password cause it to disconnect?

Message 6 of 10

Yep, it is a wireless device. I just changed the network name and password and when I checked the devices list it was the only device listed in the wireless section. The wired devices were also connected. At this point I hadn't added anything to the network.

Very, very strange!  

Message 7 of 10

Sorry, that reply wasn't very clear - when I reset the SSID and password all of my wireless devices left the network (as expected) and the wired devices remained there. However, the suspicious device was still listed in the wireless section. Under the 'access' column it is now listed as 'blocked' (which I had done in access control) so I don't understand how it has got back onto the network, or maybe I'm misunderstanding what access control does?

Access control aside, changing the SSID and password has not had any effect.

Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

If its blocked, it shouldn't be using any data on the network. 

Did you have any devices you setup using WPS?

Message 9 of 10

Ahhhhh… power line adaptor! I’ve stupidly missed this off my list. That would explain a lot..

🤦 I feel deeply ashamed!
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7