Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Update on the D7800 Please?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Update on the D7800 Please?

Can someone form suport tell me if Netgear are testing/planning to release a new firmware?

Model: D7800|Nighthawk X4S – AC2600 WiFi VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions

Re: Update on the D7800 Please?

Netgear provides minimal feedback here on issues like that. Possibly because when it does, it turns out to be wrong.

Witness various messages here about other unfulfilled promises of firmware updates.

This one, for example:

D7000 ANNOUNCED FW UPDATE: NEVER ARRIVED - NETGEAR Communities

A direct support request might be more productive, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies

What problems needs fixing?

Or do you want some new features?

Telling them that might get a better response.

For example, I would like them to add my ISP's flavour of IPv6 to my modem.

Message 2 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well where do I start....

#1 It always says "DSL can me not connected" when it is, not allowing me to set up the router unless I do many factory resets and follow the automatic set up, manual doesn't work.

#2 it comes up with a "404" page randomly on the set up or just the router page when trying to change settings like my pc isn't connected to the router, then I'll refresh the page and it'll fix it.

#3 The modem isn't stable on the latest firmware, as others have reported.

#4 I hear there's not going to be support for IPV6, I mean really? On a product that costs this much, just shows how lazy NETGEAR are with there firmware when they could easily implement it.

#5 The UI is slow, out-dated and needs a major revamp.

#6 Changing DNS from my default ISP's DNS didn't seem to work, no Internet connection.

#7 When I tried to add a Static IP to my PC, my PC's name and IP didn't show to add it and just said "Unknown device" which I couldn't add, I had to reboot my PC to fix this.

#8 Some settings reboot the router without warning you changing it will reboot the router.

#9 Forcing you to change the administration password and choose 2 security questions on the automatic set up page, if you try and close it and log into the main router it will just redirect you to the page again.

#10 When logged into the router page, on the main screen it will say you're disconnected from the Internet even though you have Internet, this error will go away when you refresh or go to another tab then back.

Message 3 of 11

Some of those come up here regularly for other devices, so they may not be firmware issues.

@Retired_Member wrote:
#4 I hear there's not going to be support for IPV6, I mean really? On a product that costs this much, just shows how lazy NETGEAR are with there firmware when they could easily implement it.

The manual has a long section on configuring IPv6. Are you saying that it doesn't work? Or that, like my D6400, it doesn't support your ISP's version of IPv6?

Message 4 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

A post by you made me think of it

"

This may or may not be important, but if you have yet to buy the D7800, you might like to check to see if it can use the implementation of IPv6 that BT smokes, something called IPv6-PD IPv6.   

BT IPv6 with third party router - BTCare Community Forums

Many Netgear routers, including the D6400, do not offer the correct settings, and Netgear support have said that they have no intention of adding this with new formware

Re: IPV6 with BT Infinity - NETGEAR Communities

Note the bit that warns:

we do not have any plans to support this on D6400,D7000, D7800 or D8500 in future.

It does not seem to matter than the UK is a big market that is dominated by BT. If you can't find a Netgear modem that can handle IPv6-PD IPv6 configuration I would be tempted to look for a modem maker that does not operate on a "take it or leave it" approach.

"

I'm with Plusnet which is owned by BT so, Im guessing i will have issues....

Message 5 of 11

@Retired_Member wrote:
I'm with Plusnet which is owned by BT so, Im guessing i will have issues....

Looks like it. As you say, Plusnet = BT (with even worse support, according to Ofcom).

I'm not sure if there was ever an answer about which Netgear modems support BT's IPv6.

We could ask on the BT forums I suppose.

Message 6 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So can someone from NETGEAR tell me if theres a new firmware which works is coming out/being worked on?

Message 7 of 11

@Retired_Member wrote:

So can someone from NETGEAR tell me if theres a new firmware which works is coming out/being worked on?

The answer I quoted earlier came from DarrenM at Netgear.

Re: IPV6 with BT Infinity - NETGEAR Communities

That was in December.

Message 8 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

IPv6 was only 1 of 10 issues I mentioned. I'm asking NETGEAR about the poor firmware for this expensive device and when its being fixed. 

Message 9 of 11

Netgear provides minimal feedback here on issues like that. Possibly because when it does, it turns out to be wrong.

Witness various messages here about other unfulfilled promises of firmware updates.

This one, for example:

D7000 ANNOUNCED FW UPDATE: NEVER ARRIVED - NETGEAR Communities

A direct support request might be more productive, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Message 10 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

OK it doesn't matter now anyway, its up for sale. Anyone concidering buying any sort of modem from NETGEAR don't.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7