Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre and Nighthawk D7000 showing amber Internet light

NeilandChar
Aspirant

Upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre and Nighthawk D7000 showing amber Internet light

Hello,

We upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre yesterday, our Nighthawk Router will not connect to the Internet. It shows an amber light on the Internet LED. I can not update it, configure it etc. The new supplied TalkTalk router works. I have trawled the online help sections and can't see a solution I can understand. I have the Genie program, no help. The error message that displays is here:

NetGear Report.png

Any help appreciated 🙂

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
NeilandChar
Aspirant

Re: Upgraded to TalkTalk Fibre and Nighthawk D7000 showing amber Internet light

@michaelkenward yes, you are totally right about TalkTalk! Live chat got me nowhere, they wouldn't help because it was a third party router and assured me that the router they provided was far superior to the NetGear Nighthawk...

I read the fact you don't need a password with Fibre on one of the many threads I've read on here. 

I have done a reset on the NightHawk by pushing the tiny button in on the back of the router and ran the setup process again and it now works!

Thank you very much for your help and advice 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies

Do you have the login details for your TalkTalk internet account? They used to need a username and password. (I moved from the world's worst ISP some time ago.)

If you haven't done so already, you might find it useful to look at the Quick Start guide for the D7000. It is one of the things that you will find at the end of this link:

>>> D7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

By the way, the D7000 is a modem/router, not just a router. That's what you need to look for when it comes to setting it up.

Message 2 of 6
NeilandChar
Aspirant

Hello, thanks for your reply. I have read that you don't need a password and username for Talk Talk Fibre. I'm thinking about resetting the Nighthawk and uninstalling the Genie software and trying to strat from scratch with it all. We used the Nighthawk fine up until yesterday, then we were upgraded to Fibre and now the Nighthawk has an amber light indicating no Internet. 

Message 3 of 6

@NeilandChar wrote:

I have read that you don't need a password and username for Talk Talk Fibre.

Where? What does TalkTalk say?

When BT switched me over from ADSL to fibre, it was a smooth process. The modem negotiated the new connection with no problem.

But TalkTalk is famously useless. Maybe it will get better now that they have fired Dido Harding, but I would not hold my breath.

There will be no harm in resetting the D7000. The amber light is a sign that it sees the connection but cannot negotiate a link.

A reset might fix it, but I would first confirm with TalkTalk what you need to do to connect. Maybe you have to change some other setting.

Message 4 of 6
NeilandChar
Aspirant

@michaelkenward yes, you are totally right about TalkTalk! Live chat got me nowhere, they wouldn't help because it was a third party router and assured me that the router they provided was far superior to the NetGear Nighthawk...

I read the fact you don't need a password with Fibre on one of the many threads I've read on here. 

I have done a reset on the NightHawk by pushing the tiny button in on the back of the router and ran the setup process again and it now works!

Thank you very much for your help and advice 🙂

Message 5 of 6

@NeilandChar wrote:

Some do, some don't.

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "fibre". There are different flavours – you probably have FTTC, but some have FTTP, I will spare you the full descriptions – and different ISPs implement them in different ways, with and without passwords.

Some beasts try to tie your link to the hardware they sent you by granting access to hardware with a particular MAC address. You then have to fool them into seeing your own device.

From your experience, we now know that, unlike BT, which asks for a username,TalkTalk does not need any of this stuff. As you have marked your problem as "Solved", that could make it easier for people to find it when they turn up here with similar problems. Well done.

I wonder if the TalkTalk modem is as bad as the junk that BT "gives away".

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7