Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgrading from a D6200

Brooksy1882
Aspirant

Upgrading from a D6200

Hi all,

I currently have a D6200 modem router.... Of course a family of 4 untold devices added daily! (more at Xmas) i fee it's time to upgrade Going on price i suppose a neter D7000 would be a nice next step up? Would users of this model be able to advise if the signal is stronger and for the childrens peace of mind FASTER than what i currently have?

D7800 seems all singing and dancing but at todays prices and this time of year not sure i can stretch to that yet

Any views please? Ta!

Message 1 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Re: Upgrading from a D6200

The D7000 has external antennas, so it might provide a stronger signal at farther distances.  It also supports 3x3 streams, which theoretically can provide link speeds of 450 Mbps(*) and 1300 Mbps, respectively.  But your wireless devices must also support 3x3 streams in order to take advantage of it.  There are not many models that support it.  I'm aware of the Macbook Pro, a few higher end laptops and a few Wi-Fi adapters cards for PCs.  The vast majority of devices, including most smartphones and tablets, support only 1x1 or 2x2 streams.  The D6200 supports 2x2 streams.

Even if you have 3x3 stream devices, you can really only take advantage of it if you do a lot of file copying between machines at home or if the speed of your Internet service is around 300 Mbps or higher.  Otherwise, you won't notice any difference.

Finally, the D7000 probably has a slightly faster CPU, which can help with services like port forwarding, QoS (though I'm not a big fan of Netgear's implementation on my R7000, so I usually leave it off), and USB.

So, think about the above considerations.  There may or may not be a decisive benefit to upgrading.  I hope this helps.

(*) Netgear claims the D7000 can actually do 600 Mbps at 2.4 GHz but this requires a device that supports 256-QAM, which is non-standard.  Even 450 Mbps is stretching it because it assumes the use of 40 MHz channels, which is all but impossible in an environment where neighboring Wi-Fi networks are presents. 

Message 2 of 10
Brooksy1882
Aspirant

Thank you for your time and a great reply. I have tonight re-attached my Sky Model SR102 according to the diagnosis im getting 

DownStream Connection Speed14198 UpStream Connection Speed926 but visiting various broadband test websites and playing with the router channel my best wifi output is around 10mbps down and 0.9upwards on a 2.4ghz channel. I was sureprised but it did seem to out perfrom my D6200?? I look around at my devices Wii U, Tablet, 1/2 year old laptops etc and tbh only 2 of my devices support 5ghz.

In the future know doubt i will add more 5ghz devices but even if i load up the 2.4ghz channel the D7000 will hopefully speed up those devices on download but lead to believe uploading is down to the ISP which Sky broadband are just lagging behind here with Fibre being the only logical answer (which isnt in my area)

The D7000 being stronger too i maybe able to ditch my Netgear Extender as thats another (slower) issue with the upstairs computer ;-/

TBH im putting alot of faith into wanting the D7000 to work for me?
Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Yeah, I think you are putting a lot of faith into the D7000.  If you can buy it from a store with a good return policy, you can try it out.

Message 4 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

I'm using a D7000 at the moment, having also had a D6200.  I can confirm that the Wi-fi signal is stronger (in my house at least - 4 bed detached for an idea of size) and can handle multiple tablets / phones at ease.  The signal strength, combined with the extra processing power, makes connecting wirelessly feel a lot more 'instant'

Also has a built in VDSL modem, so when Fibre is rolled out to your area you wouldn't need to change the router again.

I haven't regretted upgrading.

Message 5 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@clithes

I don't know how fibre is deployed in your area (FTTN or FTTH), but a VDSL modem would not be useful for FTTH.

I like the idea of keeping the modem and router separate.  I've transitioned through 3 different last mile technologies in the past 1 1/2 years or so—coax cable, VDSL and FTTHand have kept my R7000 throughout.  I recognize that everyone's situation is unique and there is certainly an attractiveness to all-in-one solutions.

Perhaps more importantly is that I've heard that Netgear's DSL modem routers, like the D7000, don't support VDSL pair bonding.  Since you have a D7000, perhaps you can confirm or deny this.

Message 6 of 10
Brooksy1882
Aspirant

@TheEther 

Sorry i'm not too tech savy here but isnt eht chanches of having a seperate modem then router increase the chances of something going wrong or even slowig doen the connections? Or is it beneficial to do so... at home?

@clithes

Thank you for your reply also! I bought a new all in one computer this year... which didn't support 5ghz wifi? How in this day and age is beyond me??!!!......but twigged today if i get a D7000 i can then add an A6210 wifi adapter to capture the 5ghz speed instead. I do alot of uploading and backing up files to an external hard drive. I really need speed in this house as printers, phones, tablets are just on the increase so just trying to keep up in thi sday and age Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@Brooksy1882

Having separate components provides you with the flexibility of upgrading individual technologies.  It's like buying a stereo.  You could buy an all-in-one unit with CD player, amplifier and speakers.  Or you could buy them separately and replace them one at a time as technologies improve or become obsolete.  You may, one day, stop listening to CDs and switch to an Internet radio.  Similarly, you may switch from VDSL to fibre.

In terms of something going wrong, it's no different from the stereo analogy.  There's user error (e.g. Plugging a CD player into the wrong part of a stereo receiver).  A router is easily connected to a modem with one Ethernet cable.  And there's administrative complexity (e.g. Turning on the CD player and turning on the receiver).  A modem is mostly set and forget.  The complexity is in the router. 

Having a separate router and modem should have minimal to no impact to the speed.  

Message 8 of 10
clithes
Prodigy

@TheEther

From what i've read i don't think it does

Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

@clithes

Thanks for confirming.  This makes the D7000 and, no doubt, the D6200 unsuitable for Internet service that uses pair bonding.  Pair bonding uses two DSL lines and is frequently required for the higher speed tiers offered by an ISP.  If your ISP doesn't use pair bonding or your residence is too far away for pair bonding to work, then these modems may be ok to use.  It's best to check the list of modems and modem routers that are certified by your ISP to work on their network.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7