Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using D7000 as Just router

Damin69
Tutor

Using D7000 as Just router

Ok I have a D7000 The router is great in it. I just switched from DSL to Cable. There is an Internet port on the Router and it is supose to be able to use Cable or Fiber connection. I see no option to disable the Internal modem and just use the Router. How do you disable the modem and get it set up as Just a Router?

Model: D7000|Nighthawk AC1900 VDSL/ADSL Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Technically, you don't have to do anything.  The router will automatically detect that the Ethernet Internet port is in use.  If you want, you can force the router to use the Ethernet port under ADVANCED > Setup > WAN Setup.  This step is optional.

Finally, this is all in the manual.

Message 2 of 10
Damin69
Tutor

Then it is not working properly. As soon as I unplugged the DSL and plugged in the Cable modem there is no intenet connection passed through.

Message 3 of 10
TheEther
Guru

You should power cycle your cable modem with the D7000 connected to it.  If it still doesn't come up, check the Ethernet cable and make sure it is good.  Finally, try forcing the D7000 to use the Ethernet interface, as I described earlier.

Message 4 of 10
Damin69
Tutor

I went through the book to begin with. I use the use the ethernet setting in the WAN. The book was the first thing I went to when trying to get this set up to work. I just bought this modem/Router in June. I just bought a R7000 and hooked up to my Cable modem and it set up like a dream. 

The Not sure why the D7000 does not work with that set up at all. I was hoping there was a setting somewhere I was missing and would be able to just return the R7000 so I did not have so much money settign inot a Unit that I am not able to use collecting dust on the shelf.

Message 5 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Check the WAN/Internet port settings on the D7000.  They may still have settings specific to your old DSL connection (e.g. PPPoE).  Clear them out and set the Internet port to obtain an IP address automatically from the ISP.  Alternatively, perform a factory reset.  This will guarantee that you are starting from a clean slate.

Message 6 of 10
Damin69
Tutor

That was done the. I did a full factory reset hoping that would clear the issue with the use WAN in advanced but then it keeps trying to Autodect the ISP from the modem not being set up. 

Oh well I am done for now I will maybe try again later in the week.....  Thank you for your time.

Message 7 of 10
TheEther
Guru

Ok.  The next thing you should try is to plug a computer directly into the cable modem and confirm that you actually have Internet service.  If not, then a call to your ISP is in order.

Message 8 of 10
Damin69
Tutor

I am using my cable internet service. That is all working good. As mentioned in one of my Previous posts I am using and R7000 that I bought. But still trying to get the D7000 to work so I can take the R7000 back.

Message 9 of 10
TheEther
Guru

If you can, skip the ISP auto-detection step.  You can try cloning the MAC address of your R7000's Internet port onto the D7000.  This will fool the modem into thinking it's the R7000.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7