Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using DGND 3700 as a wireless extender

adsl_user
Follower

Using DGND 3700 as a wireless extender

Hello everyone,

I have owned a DGND 3700 since last August. I was very happy with it overall (except for its DLNA support), and it allowed me to replace an ADSL modem and a Airport Extreme router that I had with one with a better overall performance. Unfortunately, my DGND 3700 modem stopped working in late January. After spending almost a day or so with the Netgear support, they identified it as being faulty and shipped me another one. The replacement still did not work, so it is possible the my ISP had changed its setting (my modem would connect, but could not get a dynamic IP from them). Not having connection for couple of weeks, I gave up and switch my service to a VDSL service with my ISP! Here is the question, if you can help:

I already own a Netgear wireless extender (WN2000RPT) in my basement that allows me to hook up my TV, etc. I would like to be able use the DGND 3700 as an extender as well. It may be an overkill, but it is better than using it as a paper weight or out the door for that matter.

Is this possible? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

A.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

You can NOT use as extender to joing like wn2000rpt does

You need to repeat with dgn but you will be limitd to WEP/54Mbps
Message 2 of 7
theTechman05
Aspirant

Any idea on the new NetGear repeater if that uses the highe securities. My other secondary thought is the dual bamd repeater looks like it can be set up to repeate using wps. Doea anything else need to be switched on if I take this path. I have a dark zone in my home where an older laptop doesn't get range I'd like without fudging with internal/external wireless card additions.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WPS only with extender products and not with router family
Message 4 of 7
theTechman05
Aspirant

So you still have to go through and fill out all the fields? Not a big deal but ruins the fanciness.

But still, does the newer repeater to router use the newer security in repeating's or is that a common theme with repeaters?

I'm just tempted right now since dailysteals.com has it cheap today .
Message 5 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Only the one does any higher encryption on repeat that I know is WGxx series AP.

I think there is one or two router did higher than WEP but can't remember. It was not on current model.

You will find most other manufacture are the same way but I need looked others lately to see their updates.

you can look open-mesh.com. it will do WPA
Message 6 of 7
theTechman05
Aspirant

I'm going to try the 3000 and see but like you said I'd have to do further research since all the 3700 says is "WEP can (and should) be used to protect this communication" but it would have been nice for the dgnd3700's notes to fill in the blank if that's all it accepts.

I was expecting wireless options on the page for repeating.

if it doesn't end up better security than that it'll go up on ebay or better.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7